Kramdi 13th highest paid DB?

Started by TecnoGenius, May 15, 2024, 12:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

We seem able to find DB's without issue, we lost Mike Jones, Sayles (not that one, the other one), Alford, Nic Taylor and now Houston, and other than Alford in the NFL, none have really looked as good as they did here.  Will be interesting to see how Houston does this year.

We don't seem to need to invest top dollar in our DB's, but we also don'e seem to cheap out.  We sit right in the sweet spot, and when other teams want to :overpay", next man up.  Younger has done a yeoman's work with that group, I hope he can continue.  Have to wonder if someone like Rose ends up coaching with Younger... for now, guessing the Hall and Younger flip hats on coaching the DB's...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on May 16, 2024, 09:14:47 PMWe seem able to find DB's without issue, we lost Mike Jones, Sayles (not that one, the other one), Alford, Nic Taylor and now Houston, and other than Alford in the NFL, none have really looked as good as they did here.  Will be interesting to see how Houston does this year.

We don't seem to need to invest top dollar in our DB's, but we also don'e seem to cheap out.  We sit right in the sweet spot, and when other teams want to :overpay", next man up.  Younger has done a yeoman's work with that group, I hope he can continue.  Have to wonder if someone like Rose ends up coaching with Younger... for now, guessing the Hall and Younger flip hats on coaching the DB's...

Don't know about Rose, I predict B.A. eventually becomes a coach under Younger.

Blueforlife

Quote from: theaardvark on May 16, 2024, 09:14:47 PMWe seem able to find DB's without issue, we lost Mike Jones, Sayles (not that one, the other one), Alford, Nic Taylor and now Houston, and other than Alford in the NFL, none have really looked as good as they did here.  Will be interesting to see how Houston does this year.

It's been our strength on D, next man up has always been decent.  Our culture helps create a system in which these young guns can flourish.  We have had great success from Hall on D, his experience and the consistency that he has brought.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on May 16, 2024, 03:06:26 PMSo, investing a little extra in him now, not an issue.  Sure, we have 8 or 9 starting Nats, so we don't *have* to pay as much a premium for a ratio buster, but its not much of a premium that we are paying.  Compared to a Nat Olineman, or a Nat RB, or a Nat DL starter, Kramdi is a deal and a half.

Actually, this is a genius point.  Thanks for coming up with it.  I always look at Kramdi-type situations as "why are we overpaying for a DB", when in reality the question may actually be "how much are we saving by paying a NAT DB $140k instead of retaining a good NAT OL for $200k".

However, this may be a sign that we really are flat broke.  Maybe we didn't do this to be smart.  Maybe we did this because we were in dire straits.  Maybe.  Think Sam Hurl.

The difference here is we may be starting 8 or 9 NATs, so we aren't forced to do this (are we?), so maybe this is, in fact, genius maneuvering by The Can Mafia!!

If Kramdi turns into a legit starter, he could be part of a long term plan.  Teams often like to pick some long term, but non-allstar, starter NATs to keep as sort of pseudo-franchise guys.  Of course the player has to be willing to play ball in that respect...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_or_die on May 16, 2024, 06:21:57 PMNot sure I buy the accuracy of reported salaries in the CFL. From 3DN, no less.

Ya, great point.  But the article does make it sound completely definitive!  They don't even acknowledge they may be guessing a bit or going on hearsay?

How are they getting all this information that no one else seems to have?  And in such detail!!  Housing allowance $X, promotional appearances $Y, snaps bonus $Z... surely they can't just be pulling all of those numbers out of their butt?
Never go full Rider!