CFL veterans being released

Started by Blue In BC, May 03, 2024, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 12, 2024, 01:36:02 AMJust to be precise, it's Clements, our former backup MLB/WILL.  Did TOR cut him first?  If he was cut, then that means in a pinch he may be available for us to re-sign if we can't find a legit next man up to backup Biggie.  He was more than serviceable, though clearly not the "next Biggie".  He took a ton of live snaps for us and never stunk up the joint.

Maybe he read the writing on the wall that he probably won't ever be a #1 starter and got fed up with ELC-level $$?

The Bombers have no money to chase after anyone, they're going to dance with the ones they've already signed.  Argos have been pretty deep at LB the last few years, not sure that status going into this season, but thought it strange Clements would sign with them. Probably found out he'd have to pay twice the rent for half the space in T.O.

Blue In BC

Still seeing some veterans released in the early going around the CFL. Olumba, Domagala and Hagerty also released today.

I wonder if we have any interest in Domagala as an insurance player on our PR? He's both a FG kicker and punter. Might depend on how our rookie punter is looking in TC. I was thinking he might stick on the PR as injury depth.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 15, 2024, 02:35:15 PMStill seeing some veterans released in the early going around the CFL. Olumba, Domagala and Hagerty also released today.

I wonder if we have any interest in Domagala as an insurance player on our PR? He's both a FG kicker and punter. Might depend on how our rookie punter is looking in TC. I was thinking he might stick on the PR as injury depth.

Rookie punter? Sheahan?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 15, 2024, 03:57:19 PMRookie punter? Sheahan?

No. We signed a rookie Canadian Mastrogiuseppe, Dante earlier. I thought he might be kept around as insurance on the PR. OTOH I'm not sure if he is going back to university for 1 more year. He could be worth developing or the next cut. IDK.

There will be a few kicking types released eventually. IIRC, the Lions released one in the 1st round of cuts.

Most teams tend to retain a depth guy on the PR. Domagala has some CFL experience so he might be a guy to take a quick look at depending on what the rookie is showing.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 15, 2024, 04:18:05 PMNo. We signed a rookie Canadian Mastrogiuseppe, Dante earlier. I thought he might be kept around as insurance on the PR. OTOH I'm not sure if he is going back to university for 1 more year. He could be worth developing or the next cut. IDK.

There will be a few kicking types released eventually. IIRC, the Lions released one in the 1st round of cuts.

Most teams tend to retain a depth guy on the PR. Domagala has some CFL experience so he might be a guy to take a quick look at depending on what the rookie is showing.

Unless we want to start Domegala, not sure there is a spot for him here, or any of the cuts.  Because any backups/insurance players will be ELC at best, but most likely PR.  Guys with actual CFL game experience would probably rather wait for an injury replacement opportunity than sit on a PR.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 15, 2024, 04:23:45 PMUnless we want to start Domegala, not sure there is a spot for him here, or any of the cuts.  Because any backups/insurance players will be ELC at best, but most likely PR.  Guys with actual CFL game experience would probably rather wait for an injury replacement opportunity than sit on a PR.

While that's true a player on the PR can choose to leave at any time. I'm not suggesting Domagala would be a starter. However a spot for a guy during TC is easy for a quick look. We're not gold with our punter and it's an area of concern for the moment.

I haven't seen any other cuts we should consider.  I would have been interested in Makonzo earlier but he's signed elsewhere. A couple of our Canadian DB's have SAM size which might be PR depth options though.

You often suggest some of our final cuts could be of interest later. I don't generally agree with that since every team has their own excess of players headed to their PR's.

That said, we have a bunch of 2023 and 2024 Canadian draft choices fighting for just a few spots. I can't quite tell who will stick and who won't.  Also don't know who is looking better than others.

However, I wouldn't rule out a trade before final cuts of a body or two for a draft choice in 2025 or a neg list guy. Mostly just basing that on the volume of Canadian players at the moment. Particularly at DB and DL.
2019 Grey Cup Champions