Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Calgary, August 18, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, August 17, 2023, 07:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 20, 2023, 12:53:43 PM
...Why do you think in sports when things go to to seconds they show a video feed of the actual arena clock overlayed? Happens most in hockey when goals almost occur as the time expires? It's because the TV clock is unofficial and might be slightly off. Don't want to take my word for it?

https://www.cfl.ca/2009/07/06/the-official-game-clock-vs-tsn-s-clock/

Essentially, you're timing nonsense (if you are trying to split the unofficial clock to milliseconds with a stopwatch) and claiming "discoveries".

Who doyou think the real CFL "Command Centre" is? It's actually Tecno and his PVR.  :D
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Horseman

Quote from: Stretch on August 20, 2023, 01:06:34 PM
Who doyou think the real CFL "Command Centre" is? It's actually Tecno and his PVR.  :D

NICE!!!!!

GOLDMEMBER

LMAO
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Lincoln Locomotive

He'd be an improvement....lol!
Bomber fan for life

Stats Junkie

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on August 21, 2023, 02:27:13 AM
He'd be an improvement....lol!
his first ruling would be:

I can't review the play because I recorded golf instead of football - call on field stands
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stats Junkie on August 21, 2023, 02:55:46 AM
his first ruling would be:

I can't review the play because I recorded golf instead of football - call on field stands

Brilliant!  Best laugh all year.

But come on, we all know I'd overturn it anyway, because everyone knows the CFL refs always botch the call  :D :D :D

(Funny thing is, I could solve that if I was made of money and bought 4 more Shaw boxes and 4 more computer cards and just recorded all TSN channels, and then doubled my space to 50TB and just taped everything on all 5 TSNs all day every day.  But even I'm not that crazy... yet.)
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 20, 2023, 12:53:43 PM
...Why do you think in sports when things go to to seconds they show a video feed of the actual arena clock overlayed? Happens most in hockey when goals almost occur as the time expires? It's because the TV clock is unofficial and might be slightly off. Don't want to take my word for it?

https://www.cfl.ca/2009/07/06/the-official-game-clock-vs-tsn-s-clock/

Essentially, you're timing nonsense (if you are trying to split the unofficial clock to milliseconds with a stopwatch) and claiming "discoveries".

Hmm, that is a thought.  But that article specifically only talks about the game clock.  TCs would be exclusively a play clock thing.  But I guess we could infer it applies to the play clock, too.

BUT, look at the date of the article: 2009.  Technology has sure advanced in that time period.  I see no reason why the stadium, the league and TSN couldn't technologically link all of those things using a protocol and network.  If they don't have this yet, I'd love to be the architect and implementer for it!

We have not seen a stadium-clock vs replay overlay in the CFL in, like forever.  Maybe it's still a hockey thing, but when's the last time you saw that in the CFL?

If they are not technologically coordinated then that would mean some TSN dude is sitting there onsite pressing a little TSN "start playclock" button every time the stadium clock starts??  I find this extremely hard to believe.  What a crap job that would be, and very prone to human error!  Whilst we often see revisions to the game clock, we almost never see the play clock do anything other than start, go to 00, or reset.  In other words, they really never get the TSN play clock egregiously wrong.

Yes, I was working under the assumption the TSN play clock was an accurate representation of reality.  And if it's not, then timing the video frames of a TC flag is a pretty useless endeavour, except as a guard against them being off by several seconds.

Though I suppose if I wanted to prove one for sure, I have one recourse: I could time the 20s from the whistle and that 100% for sure should indicate a true TC penalty because the stadium play clock should very tight to the whistle and ref clock-start motion.  That should get me within 1s for sure.  Maybe one day I'll test how accurate the play clock is in this regard.

Maybe it's time for the league to update that FAQ page.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on August 20, 2023, 08:24:33 AM
Time counts violations should be  called a penalty when the ref count in his head is ?10 and a?

Gets me thinking... no technological reason why they couldn't tie the stadium play clock to the head (or all? or certain) ref's earpiece(s).  Every time it hits 00s it could do a little beep in their ear(s).  That way they would not have to watch the clock on the wall, but only the ball and the snap.

I can see how having to spot both in succession would lead to an accuracy of at best a 3-8 tenths.  But make it a beep vs snap determination and they should be able to reliably be accurate to 1-3 tenths every single snap.

Again, I'd love to implement this for the league.  It wouldn't be hard.  Heck, I'd probably do it for free just to be rid of these maybe-called maybe-not TC penalties!  :D :D :D
Never go full Rider!

DM83

The refs count or clock is official.
Any ref who is watching a clock, would be moved to the under ten flag league.
All refs, do a  count in their head.  What they are looking for is procedure.

In reality, they should (synchronize  their clock in the head with the scoreboard.

But how many times do you hear the ref announce., "timer, put  "x" amount of seconds" on the clock
Synchronizing both is something that you would think could be done, though.