Blue Bombers Announce Donation of 525 New Football Helmets

Started by ModAdmin, August 22, 2023, 03:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers Announce Donation of 525 New Football Helmets

WINNIPEG, MB., August 22, 2023 - The Winnipeg Football Club today announced the donation of 525 new football helmets to be distributed among Manitoba's 35 high school football programs.

"We are committed to helping amateur football grow in our province and to help ensure kids are wearing safe equipment," said Wade Miller, President and CEO of the WFC. "Our expanded reach this year through our youth programs is a direct result of the support we have received through the Arts, Culture and Sport in Community (ACSC) Fund from the Province of Manitoba."

This season, the WFC has donated over $300,000 in equipment to youth programs and has seen over 1,000 youth participate in free football camps offered by the Club.

"The Blue Bombers donating 15 helmets per school is a massive support as helmets cost us around $425 each," said Chris Olson, Head Coach of the Oak Park Raiders. "Their support of equipment and camps for kids year-round helps us make it affordable for our kids to play."

To learn more about the programs available through the WFC, please visit https://www.bluebombers.com/youth-football/.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

It is great that the team is investing the the future of the game, and I applaud the efforts.

Question:

I get that new helmets afford far better protection, but what about Guardian Caps?  Would adding a Guardian Cap to an old helmet have a better reduction in injury than a new helmet alone?  And new helmet plus guardian cap, even better?

If safety is the issue, aren't guardian caps a lot cheaper, and could be rolled out for everyone for the same price as a lot fewer helmets? 

I know Guardian Caps are not sexy, and that dressing them up a little with covers would possibly make them even more obtrusive (Gazzo helmets), but safety over sexy, right?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Good on the Bombers for doing that. The guardian caps question is interesting and there have been some suggestions in the NFL about using them during games in the future.

Questions about CFL helmets and facemasks in general:

1. Many of the helmets have that nearly octagon at the front of the helmet.
2. Another version has that and the slice on either side of the helmet.
3. Collaros and a few others wear the older style with the rectangular down the middle.
4. I've seen a few OL mostly wear version # 1 with an extra part at the nose of the helmet.

Obviously players get to choose which type they want. Does anyone know the advantages / disadvantages of each type.

Recently I've noticed a newer type of face mask ( smaller ). Bigill uses one.

I would have thought the any of the other types that mount in more places up to and including above the face are better structural designs. OTOH, I've never seen anyone break this newer type.

So again, what are the advantage / disadvantage of this type?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

I am guessing Zac, might use a helmet that allows for more padding.
It sits higher up on his head.
He looks like the ?Great  Gazoo? from the .Jetsons

Anyone notice that?

theaardvark

The NFL has a very strict policy on facemasks from what I recall, guys were going looney with Darth Vader masks, etc. 

I don't think it is as bad in Canada.

I have seen a few helmets integrating the visor into the front of the helmet, like a windsheild in a car, rather than bolting it to the helmet and facemask.  Looks a lot slicker, I must say. 

I guess there will always be advances, and new items (like Biggies neck do-hickey) that will get used, it will be interesting to see how far they let players go with custom equipment.  They were showing Duane Forde's GC game and the pads they were using were huge.  Now guys seem to be getting as small a pad as they can get away with.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Just found it... its the Riddell Axiom helmet.  Very slick.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 22, 2023, 10:05:31 PM
Just found it... its the Riddell Axiom helmet.  Very slick.

Sounds like it has many advantages in safety features. I guess it will take awhile for players to adapt.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

BLUEBOMBER

Clearly what is missing in the CFL is that they don't attract enough young fans. Gotta get them hooked early and often. High school is the best time.

TecnoGenius

The more youth stuff the better!

Quote from: DM83 on August 22, 2023, 07:54:11 PM
He looks like the ?Great Gazoo? from the .Jetsons

When Aards said Gazoo I thought he was referring to Toyota-Gazoo WEC racing and I was like "whaaaa?".

Now that you mention Great Gazoo I get it, and great reference, instantly brings back memories I forgot were there.  Ya, if they go too far with padding you might as well put the players in bubble-wrap.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on August 22, 2023, 10:00:53 PM
The NFL has a very strict policy on facemasks from what I recall, guys were going looney with Darth Vader masks, etc. 

I want to see Purifoy play a whole game in that crazy horror clown mask!!
Never go full Rider!

TBURGESS

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 23, 2023, 08:12:32 AM
The more youth stuff the better!

When Aards said Gazoo I thought he was referring to Toyota-Gazoo WEC racing and I was like "whaaaa?".

Now that you mention Great Gazoo I get it, and great reference, instantly brings back memories I forgot were there.  Ya, if they go too far with padding you might as well put the players in bubble-wrap.

Kelce is already making fun of Guardian Caps.. by wrapping his helmet in bubble wrap.  https://www.inquirer.com/photo/photos-philadelphia-eagles-trainingcamp-20220729.html

It was Kelso that made the Gazoo helmet famous, as a hard hitting safety with concussion problems, he wore added padding over his helmet.  https://www.profootballhof.com/news/2011/10/news-kelso-s-helmet/

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 23, 2023, 12:49:22 PM
The great Gazoo is from the Flintstones.

https://imgs.search.brave.com/S6Lwu14TGXLU3bcNThjnyEGEo2ZamzrzuYp6LjzFWpU/rs:fit:860:0:0/g:ce/aHR0cHM6Ly9tLm1l/ZGlhLWFtYXpvbi5j/b20vaW1hZ2VzL0kv/NzFraVhqTGZwb0wu/anBn

That's what I thought, although I've never watched The Jetsons so don't know if there is also a tie in.
Just discovered the Great Gazoo was voiced by Harvey Korman!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 23, 2023, 11:37:11 PM
That's what I thought, although I've never watched The Jetsons so don't know if there is also a tie in.
Just discovered the Great Gazoo was voiced by Harvey Korman!

Not sure those antennae poking out would be good for eye safety, though!  :P
Never go full Rider!