Dave Ritchie Passed Away

Started by DCM, March 09, 2024, 07:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCM

QuoteEd Tait
@EdTaitWFC

Just heard today from Dave Ritchie's son in law that he has passed away at the age of 85. Ranks fourth in coaching wins in @Wpg_BlueBombers history behind Bud Grant, Mike O'Shea and Cal Murphy. A fiery leader who was passionate about his teams and his players. RIP, Dave

Was the first head coach when I started watching the Bombers. RIP Coach!
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

GOLDMEMBER

Love Coach Ritchie. What a character and man of honour.
His players loved him.
RIP

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

ModAdmin

A great head coach and a great person.  Sad to hear of his passing.  Condolences to his family and the Blue Bombers.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

DCM

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/03/09/blue-bombers-mourn-the-passing-of-dave-ritchie/

QuoteIt is with great sadness that the Winnipeg Football Club has learned of the passing of former Blue Bombers coach Dave Ritchie today at the age of 85.

"Dave Ritchie was a respected leader during his days as Blue Bombers head coach and in his other coaching positions across the Canadian Football League, in the NCAA and in Europe," said Blue Bombers President & CEO Wade Miller. "He had a passion for his players and his teams and led both to great success. The Winnipeg Football Club offers our deepest sympathies to his wife Sharon, Dave's family, and his many friends."

Ritchie served two terms on the Blue Bombers coaching staff, first joining the team in 1990 and working on Mike Riley's coaching staff as a defensive line and special teams coach and being a part of the Grey Cup championship team that season. He left after the 1991 season and then returned in 1999 after being named head coach.

The Blue Bombers would make a massive turnaround under Ritchie's watch from 1999-2004, improving from 3-15 before his arrival in 1998 to 6-12 in his first season, a 7-10-1 record in 2000 and a berth in the East Final to a 14-4 mark and divisional championship in 2001. He was named the CFL's Coach of the Year in 2001.

Ritchie's Blue Bombers teams would amass a 52-44-1 record under his watch, that win total now ranking fourth in club history after Bud Grant (102), Mike O'Shea (96) and Cal Murphy (86). Ritchie also served as head coach of the B.C. Lions (1993-95), winning a Grey Cup with the team in 1994, and with the Montreal Alouettes (1997-98), retiring with 108 career wins – seventh-most in CFL history.

He was inducted into the Winnipeg Football Club Hal of Fame in 2014 and the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2022.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

Blueforlife

My favorite Bomber coach all time.  Of course MOS has done some great things but Dave was a little different just like me.  He had #1 d for a bit there.  RIP, I'm making a sign to honor him 1st home game!

THE PLAYERS PLAY.
Sometimes you need a fresh start

John T.

My wife and I were in Hamilton for the Hall of Fame Game in September 2022, when the Ticats played the Bombers and Dave Ritchie was inducted into the CFL Hall of Fame. He was in a wheelchair and looked very frail; it was upsetting to me, because that was not how I remembered him as Bomber coach. But he was happy and alert, so I'm glad he lived long enough to be honoured like that.

Rest in peace, coach.

GOLDMEMBER

Man oh man the Blue Bombers have had more than ther fair share of deaths this off season: Kenny Ploen, Gerry James, Craig Roh, and now Dave Ritchie. Just so sad.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Waffler

Nicest coach I can ever remember being here. He was here back in the days before field turf. They would practice on the grass outside the club house and you could stand right on the sideline mere feet away from plays.  He'd always say hi to me and my gf because he recognized us as regulars. He was just impossible not to like. The players WANTED him to hug them because they loved him and wanted his favor. He could be gruff too though. I can still hear him say "KERWIN!" and point to the far goal post. You had to run around it that year if you took off your helmet on the field. Mr Kerwin Bell might have thought he was above that rule but nope. The other thing I can still hear was when we got Elfrid Payton back and on the first day he was rushing our QB a little too close and Richie boomed "Watch the arm!"   

I was pretty sad when Taman let him go here but the truth was he did need some heart surgery which he got shortly after and lived another 20 years. I am glad for that. He'll be missed by many, myself included. He made football fun again, just glad he was here. RIP Coach Ritchie. 
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blueforlife

Quote from: Waffler on March 10, 2024, 03:14:50 PMNicest coach I can ever remember being here. He was here back in the days before field turf. They would practice on the grass outside the club house and you could stand right on the sideline mere feet away from plays.  He'd always say hi to me and my gf because he recognized us as regulars. He was just impossible not to like. The players WANTED him to hug them because they loved him and wanted his favor. He could be gruff too though. I can still hear him say "KERWIN!" and point to the far goal post. You had to run around it that year if you took off your helmet on the field. Mr Kerwin Bell might have thought he was above that rule but nope. The other thing I can still hear was when we got Elfrid Payton back and on the first day he was rushing our QB a little too close and Richie boomed "Watch the arm!"   

I was pretty sad when Taman let him go here but the truth was he did need some heart surgery which he got shortly after and lived another 20 years. I am glad for that. He'll be missed by many, myself included. He made football fun again, just glad he was here. RIP Coach Ritchie. 
What a great story thanks.  These characters of the CFL is what makes our league great. 
Sometimes you need a fresh start

blue_gold_84

Legendary human and coach.

Rest In Peace.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jockitch

Sadly our historical characters from many, many great eras have been slipping away

R.I.P. coach Ritchie
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

J5V

R.I.P. Coach Ritchie. See you on the other side. ;)
Go Bombers!

Sidelines

https://wrwatsonfuneralhome.com/obituary/david-f-ritchie/ is the link to Dave's obituary. Thanks for all you kind words!

Lincoln Locomotive

Coach Ritchie really cared for his players.....I remember going to a game in Commonwealth when I lived in AB.    The Bombers were in town playing the Esks who were on top of the league and the Bombers were struggling.   Before the game during the warmups,  Coach Ritchie shook every players hand and had a few words for every player.   He was loved and respected by his players.....in some ways this love for players, parallels coach MOS....

He was a good man and one of my favourite Bomber coaches of all time desperately the fact that we never won a Cup with him.   
Bomber fan for life