Our Free Agent's Signings Are in Limbo Until Brady & Dalton Make Their Moves

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, January 11, 2024, 08:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 07, 2024, 06:16:19 PMFrom that article it sounds like Wade Miller stepped in to push Walters past the line he had previously drawn in the sand.

I can see that.  That would help explain my surprise at the $230.  It's not really like KW to overspend, and I think most will agree $230 is "too much" for a RB, especially in the WFC system.

KW probably had $200 as a line in the sand, with a $180 initial offer.  The problem with advertising that you crossed your line in the sand is that every agent now knows they can maybe prod for a bit more...

Is it a smart move in the end?  Well, Brady will get more fans in the stands than Stanback, Antwi or Butler would have.  He'll also sell about 100X the merch.  And it'll be the feel-good TSN story of the decade if Brady can win the GC @home in 2025.
Never go full Rider!

bunker

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 08, 2024, 08:19:39 AMDo you have a source for that?  I hadn't heard that.

The crazy thing is with Walker walking, maybe both Fatboi and Lawson start!  Maybe we start like 9 NATs this year!!  I sure hope not...  Time to pull a good IMP ELC DT out of our magic scouting hat...

Not written in stone, but likely given their age and trajectories. From 3Downation:

6. Jake Thomas, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (N)

The 33-year-old has had a significantly more prolific career than anyone could have reasonably predicted as a fourth-round pick out of Acadia University way back in 2012. The native of Douglas, N.B. has played 186 games with the Blue Bombers and made 166 defensive tackles, 31 sacks, seven forced fumbles, and six fumble recoveries.

Winnipeg paid close to $135,000 to retain pending free agent defensive tackle Cameron Lawson, per source, which would seem to indicate the club plans to start him at nose tackle in 2024. If this is indeed the end of the road for Thomas, he's had an incredible career.

LXTSN

Cam Lawson is only 25 and he is actually a really good run stopper in the middle. I like the idea of having Fatboi back him up, but I don't want both to start. Who was that guy we brought in for the preseason last season? I thought he would make the roster for sure, but there just wasn't much time available for him.

Jesse

Quote from: LXTSN on February 08, 2024, 02:04:27 PMCam Lawson is only 25 and he is actually a really good run stopper in the middle. I like the idea of having Fatboi back him up, but I don't want both to start. Who was that guy we brought in for the preseason last season? I thought he would make the roster for sure, but there just wasn't much time available for him.

Miles Fox will be the heir apparent. But we'll see what happens in TC.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 08, 2024, 08:22:59 AMI can see that.  That would help explain my surprise at the $230.  It's not really like KW to overspend, and I think most will agree $230 is "too much" for a RB, especially in the WFC system.

KW probably had $200 as a line in the sand, with a $180 initial offer.  The problem with advertising that you crossed your line in the sand is that every agent (who has an MOP or MOC client) now knows they can maybe prod for a bit more...

Is it a smart move in the end?  Well, Brady will get more fans in the stands than Stanback, Antwi or Butler would have.  He'll also sell about 100X the merch.  And it'll be the feel-good TSN story of the decade if Brady can win the GC @home in 2025.

Fixed your conjecture there... every agent knows just how much they can hold up a team for, and its not based on any lines in the sand, or Team President's leaning in, its based on what other teams are willing to offer.  If Wade doesn't step in, BO20 probably signs in BC, sure.  But at the end of the day. our team did what it needed to do.  If anything, Walters toughened his bargaining position, being willing to let our MOC walk for extra duckets. Agents know, they have to have some very special talent to get a team President to weigh in.  One, maybe two players on a team would warrant such an intervention.

Brady nets more at $30k less being in Winnipeg because Winnipeg is already home.  No renting changes, no moving, no affording BC lifestyle.  And, as much as BC is a good team, WFC has a better chance at top playoff money as well.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Quote from: bunker on February 08, 2024, 12:47:02 PM6. Jake Thomas, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (N)

The 33-year-old has had a significantly more prolific career than anyone could have reasonably predicted as a fourth-round pick out of Acadia University way back in 2012. The native of Douglas, N.B. has played 186 games with the Blue Bombers and made 166 defensive tackles, 31 sacks, seven forced fumbles, and six fumble recoveries.

Reading this, it reminded me of another Blue Bomber that exceeded expectations and carved out a record setting career... is Fatboi our new Wade Miller?  He certainly works his special teams responsibilities.  I constantly marvel at the way he gets downfield, even on made FG's... there is no doubting his heart and commitment. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on February 08, 2024, 03:17:01 PMFixed your conjecture there... every agent knows just how much they can hold up a team for, and its not based on any lines in the sand, or Team President's leaning in, its based on what other teams are willing to offer.  If Wade doesn't step in, BO20 probably signs in BC, sure.  But at the end of the day. our team did what it needed to do.  If anything, Walters toughened his bargaining position, being willing to let our MOC walk for extra duckets. Agents know, they have to have some very special talent to get a team President to weigh in.  One, maybe two players on a team would warrant such an intervention.

Brady nets more at $30k less being in Winnipeg because Winnipeg is already home.  No renting changes, no moving, no affording BC lifestyle.  And, as much as BC is a good team, WFC has a better chance at top playoff money as well.

Brady's press conference yesterday answers a lot of questions and explains his process. 

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/02/07/brady-oliveira-february-7-2024/

You can almost hear AH whispering in his ear, seems like he was mentored by Harris not only in game preparation but also in contract negotiation.

Blue In BC

Our 2024 roster is going to be quite different. Still might get a few more veterans back but we've lost some talent and key experience.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 08, 2024, 03:43:31 PMBrady's press conference yesterday answers a lot of questions and explains his process. 

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/02/07/brady-oliveira-february-7-2024/

You can almost hear AH whispering in his ear, seems like he was mentored by Harris not only in game preparation but also in contract negotiation.

Thing is....Brady had an agent working for him whereas Andrew didn't.   Brady is committed to the city and that's obvious....his NFL aspirations are behind him now and he's only focusing on bringing another cup back to the Peg!  That commitment is hard to find in this day and age and albeit Andrew mentored Brady.....he's still true to his own self first and foremost.   Personally I believe Brady is the more mature of the two despite him being younger.   Andrew's ego precedes him....and even though he won a Cup with Toronto, his legacy could have been glorious had he finished his career in Blue and Gold.....IMHO
Bomber fan for life

Blue In BC

It was mentioned that we were close in negotiations with Castillo. It would be good to get him back although a rookie with a stronger leg and lower SMS is not outside the possibility.

Would like Bailey, Gauthier and Grant back but the longer it takes the less likely that may be.

Next week will be interesting to see how many of our last 13 potential free agents we get back. I'm not expecting the Bombers to acquire any free agents from across the CFL but it could be a surprising week all around.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bunker

I suspect we have limited money for any new signings. Based on media reports, including 3Downation, you can get an idea of what most players are making for 2024. I compiled a list for the Bombers based on this. It is not going to be exact, but gives a rough sense of what Walters is working against:

1. Zach 600,000
2. Streveler 120,000+ (he has performance bonuses, but if he gets them, it likely means Zach is injured/on 6 game)
3. Rookie 3rd QB 70,000
4. Brady 230,000
5. Jonhny Augustine 100,000 (made 99,000 last year, maybe he took a small cut?)
6. Kenny Lawlyer 285,000
7. Dalton 230,000
8. Demski 200,000
9. Wolitarkski 125,000 (my estimate)
10. Rookie receiver 70,000 (assuming Baily is not back)
11. Stanley Bryant 180,000 (made 190,000 last year)
12. Kowlankowski 135,000
13. Paddy Neufeld 150,000 (my estimate)
14. Jeff Gray 130,000 (my estimate, maybe slightly high)
15. Eli 70,000
16. Dobson 70,000
17. American RT on rookie contract 70,000
Offense: 2,835,000

18. Willie Jefferson 200,000
19. Bighill 165,000
20. Lawson 135,000
21. Rookie American DT/Fox  70,000
22. Jake Thomas 100,000 (my estimate)
23. Rookie American DE/Haba 70,000
24. Kyrie Wilson 100,000
25. Kramdi 70,000
26. Brandon Alexander 100,000
27. Evan Holm 70,000
28. Nichols 140,000 (my estimate, ? too high)
29. Parker 70,000
30. Lawrence 70,000
Defense: 1,360,000

31. Returner/Grant 100,000 (less if rookie)
32. Castillo 135,000 (my estimate)
33. Punter 70,000
ST: 305,000

Plus 12 other players that play on ST or rotate in as subs/DI's: 12X 70,000= 840,000

The total comes to 5,340,000.
The cap is 5,585,000,
The practice roster accounts for another 157,500 (10 players at minimum of 15,750), leaving only 87,500 in cap remaining.

This does not take into account a number of factors, including money from last year used to pay this years salaries, possible inaccuracies in salaries (although I think the inaccuracies are probably small), injuries including paying players on the 1 game that have to be paid, and players on the 6 game where we save salary if they are replaced by someone with a lower salary, plus bonuses. So it may not be 100% accurate. Still, it paints an interesting picture, and based on it, I would be surprised if we were very active in the free agent market. There is a bit of wiggle room with the 87,500, plus being able to go over by up to 100,000, that might let us bring back a player like Bailey, but I would guess any high priced free agents from other teams are not going to be in the mix. If Zach restructured his contract, it might open up some more money also, but it does not seem to be happening.

I also thought it was interesting how much more we are spending on the offensive side of the ball.

Pigskin

Nice breakdown, but Lawrence is no longer with the team, and Kramdi and Hallett will be closer to $90K. I would also say Nichols more like $125K.

Yes, about $1.5M more on O. And, we all know defense wins championships.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

dd

Yes, defense does win championships, and ours has an aging MLB, at least a step slower, in the heart of it. And we need some pressure from the interior of our D line.

My concern is if biggie gets hurt, all the dough we spent on offense ain't going to matter, but i guess we cross that bridge when we get to it and you trade one of your high priced guns on offense for a MLB.

theaardvark

D wins championships, sure, but O sells tickets and merch.  Look at the jerseys in a game and count the O vs. D ones.

You need O to put fannies in the seats. 

The CFL pays O higher than D, across the board.  Top Olinemen out earn top Dlinemen, DB make a fraction of what WR make, even though they play head to head against each other.  Its just the way.

Pigskin

Quote from: dd on February 10, 2024, 07:30:44 PMYes, defense does win championships, and ours has an aging MLB, at least a step slower, in the heart of it. And we need some pressure from the interior of our D line.

My concern is if biggie gets hurt, all the dough we spent on offense ain't going to matter, but i guess we cross that bridge when we get to it and you trade one of your high priced guns on offense for a MLB.

I think the Bombers are sold on Fox to replace Walker. If not, Christmas from the Riders is still out there.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.