Argos at Redblacks GDT

Started by GOLDMEMBER, September 24, 2022, 05:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 25, 2022, 02:44:26 AM
Say what you want about Lapo as HC (Peter principle), but don't dis Lapo as OC.  Lapo is a superb OC and we (partially but in a major way) owe our '19 GC to him.

I bet if you asked Buck he'd be the first to say that Lapo taught him nearly everything he uses every week to clobber Ds.  The entire basis of the Buck system is the Lapo system.  Buck mainly added in a QB's flair and aggressiveness.

Perhaps you haven?t been watching Ottawa?s offense?-they don?t have one!! If he?s such a great OC, why  don?t they have an offense?? Arbuckle isn?t that bad.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on September 26, 2022, 02:56:45 AM
Perhaps you haven?t been watching Ottawa?s offense?-they don?t have one!! If he?s such a great OC, why  don?t they have an offense?? Arbuckle isn?t that bad.

I don't know about that, we just saw plenty of evidence.  LaPo must be dreaming he had the 2018 version of Matt Nichols these days.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on September 26, 2022, 02:56:45 AM

A) Bad OL
B) Lapo's wearing too many hats.  He needs to concentrate just on OC duty in order to be effective.  He didn't suddenly lose all his OC mojo just because he's in OTT: he's trying to do too much and failing at it all.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Saw some Ottawa fans on twitter saying Lapo should be fired, and I can't say I disagree.  The front office SMS cap does hamstring GMs when it comes to coaching changes...

Good/Great OC, but that HC hat does not seem to fit.

Lapo won, time of possession an passing yards.  But 5 picks is tough to fight back from.   Not all on him.  But calling plays that allow for the D to read and make picks, that's problematic.  And not having your QB tuned in to not throw picks, again, coaching issue.

To me, the most telling "I'm not really an HC" moment was at the end of the 2nd quarter heading into halftime.  Calling a timeout and then taking a knee again.  What the fizzie was that?  Did he want a play run, and Arbuckle said "Nope"?  11 seconds left and in Tor territory, down 18-6, after just taking a sack, Arbuckle takes a knee, but Lapo calls a timeout.  They literally could have gotten a quick out and then kicked a FG, but Arbuckle took a knee.  And Lapo caled a Time Out.  If that doesn't say communication is an issue, or that the QB isn't on the same page as the playcaller, nothing else could.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on September 26, 2022, 03:15:27 PM
Saw some Ottawa fans on twitter saying Lapo should be fired, and I can't say I disagree.  The front office SMS cap does hamstring GMs when it comes to coaching changes...

Lapo won, time of possession an passing yards.  But 5 picks is tough to fight back from.   Not all on him.  But calling plays that allow for the D to read and make picks, that's problematic.  And not having your QB tuned in to not throw picks, again, coaching issue.

To me, the most telling "I'm not really an HC" moment was at the end of the 2nd quarter heading into halftime.  Calling a timeout and then taking a knee again.  What the fizzie was that?  Did he want a play run, and Arbuckle said "Nope"?  11 seconds left and in Tor territory, down 18-6, after just taking a sack, Arbuckle takes a knee, but Lapo calls a timeout.  They literally could have gotten a quick out and then kicked a FG, but Arbuckle took a knee.  And Lapo caled a Time Out.  If that doesn't say communication is an issue, or that the QB isn't on the same page as the playcaller, nothing else could.

I get the impression LaPo works much better from the booth were he can focus on a singular task without all the other distractions, he needs to give up being the OC if he wants to continue as HC, or vice-versa.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 26, 2022, 04:17:04 PM
I get the impression LaPo works much better from the booth were he can focus on a singular task without all the other distractions, he needs to give up being the OC if he wants to continue as HC, or vice-versa.

That is 100% a handicap. The teams with dedicated HCs are far more effective. Some just don't realize that. If I was a GM, I wouldn't allow it.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on September 26, 2022, 03:15:27 PM

Lapo won, time of possession an passing yards.  But 5 picks is tough to fight back from.   Not all on him.  But calling plays that allow for the D to read and make picks, that's problematic.  And not having your QB tuned in to not throw picks, again, coaching issue.

Lapo will absolutely be fired, but now much point in doing it before the season is over at this point.

I'm wondering about Sask too. They need a housecleaning, but how deep will it go?

Gonna be 2-3 HC opportunities next year?
My wife is amazing!

DM83

I never  met him.

But he gives off the impression of not being a great communicator.
I mentioned before, he is always looking at his clipboard.  *** After all these years, and being both the OC and HC shoudn't he  know what is going on. Shouldn't main concepts already be practiced all week.

He should be talking with his OC, oh wait..... so that's a problem.  Who does he get feedback from re coverages?
The faux pa last game re calling a time out at the end of the half was a bad sign.  Lapo looks panicked and very confused at time doe he not?????

Coaching is about making adjustments.  If  his players cant grasp stuff,  go back to basics... That's what is so weird.  Just manipulate DBs and LBs .  Put players in different positions.

I mean just put a fast guy like  Deadmon in at tailback or run a Jet sweep motion, and see which poor DB or hopelessly out  matched LB is trying to cover that.  I mean would anyone disgree that theoretically, say Deadmon would not beat Gauthier on a simple flat route, out and up, crossing pattern...whatever. (point is create a mismatch, and let the fast guy run around for endless first downs.)

Any crossing route will get you yards.

Bo to Ottawa?

He has crap QBs. Arbuckle should leave Canada.  He's literally played himself out of being a potential successor to Calgary's star, to being awful.
"Bad Luck Lapo" should be his epitaph (Sask's  13  man- ultimate disaster)

Lapo has to re-think his management style.  Because, as one of the earler posts said, Lapo seems to excell as an OC, in a finite set of responsibility.  But as a HC and game day, field level, seems  chaotic

Blue In BC

No value in trading for BLM in 2022. During the off season I could see that happening potentially. It depends on whether Masoli will miss part of the early 2023 season and / or the status of his recovery overall.

Redblacks are out of the play offs this season so trading now doesn't make sense for them or Calgary.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

3rdand1.5

Ott. looked defeated in all aspects last week. They have BC upcoming it doesn't look good for the Redblacks. IMO T.O and BC are pretty even in terms of talent and T.O dominated them. Ott has to figure stuff out. Cut back on poor penalties, cut back on turnovers and try and get the playmakers the ball! The only hope they have of winning next week is if their defence can get VAJ off his game, and hope the offence can do something...anything.

Lapo may survive, and if he does somehow survive to continue next season, I think he needs to hire a good offensive coordinator and focus on just being a HC.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 26, 2022, 05:19:49 PM
No value in trading for BLM in 2022. During the off season I could see that happening potentially. It depends on whether Masoli will miss part of the early 2023 season and / or the status of his recovery overall.

Redblacks are out of the play offs this season so trading now doesn't make sense for them or Calgary.

I don't think Masoli will be out that long, he was injured aprox. 10 weeks ago and underwent surgery, his recovery time was estimated at 10-12 weeks so I expect him back before the end of this season. 

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 26, 2022, 05:38:08 PM
I don't think Masoli will be out that long, he was injured aprox. 10 weeks ago and underwent surgery, his recovery time was estimated at 10-12 weeks so I expect him back before the end of this season. 

Even if that is true, he might not ever be the same. Missed 12 games in 2019, 2020 season didn't happen, missed 2 games in 2021 and 9 so far in 2022. He'll be 35 before TC 2023. Can't help but wonder if he might be out of football next year.  I doubt he plays again in 2022. What would the point be if the Redblacks aren't in play off contention?

BLM is only a couple of years younger and his throwing arm/shoulder haven't ever seemed to have been the same since 2019. He might be available as a back up in 2023 at at much lower SMS?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

When you have 3 people occupying the 3 main coaching positions - Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator and Defensive Coordination - you have some accountability.

When the Head Coach occupies Head Coach and one of the other positions, there is no game accountability in that arrangement.  It doesn't seem to make sense.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden