Blue Bombers Forum

The Extra Point => Blue Bomber & CFL Discussion Forum => Topic started by: BomberFan73 on September 26, 2026, 11:38:36 PM

Title: Truth & Rec, CFL Football
Post by: BomberFan73 on September 26, 2026, 11:38:36 PM
Considering the time of year, anyone know of a single Indigenous CFL player?

I know my sons teams he has played on there are always lots, but I think very few make it to the College level.
Title: Re: Truth & Rec, CFL Football
Post by: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 27, 2026, 06:52:35 AM
Quote from: BomberFan73 on September 26, 2026, 11:38:36 PMConsidering the time of year, anyone know of a single Indigenous CFL player?

I know my sons teams he has played on there are always lots, but I think very few make it to the College level.

Interesting point, other than "Indian Jack Jacobs" and the great Jim Thorpe I've never heard of any native football players, both were from Oklahoma.
Title: Re: Truth & Rec, CFL Football
Post by: Blue In BC on September 27, 2026, 04:23:40 PM
Bombers had a DB ( safety  type ) whose name I can't remember. He moved on to the Lions later. This was about 8 years ago?
Title: Re: Truth & Rec, CFL Football
Post by: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 27, 2026, 05:03:36 PM
Quote from: Blue In BC on September 27, 2026, 04:23:40 PMBombers had a DB ( safety  type ) whose name I can't remember. He moved on to the Lions later. This was about 8 years ago?

In the O'Shea era?
Title: Re: Truth & Rec, CFL Football
Post by: bunker on September 27, 2026, 05:19:30 PM
Dane Evans was a native American.
Title: Re: Truth & Rec, CFL Football
Post by: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 27, 2026, 05:28:30 PM
Former Rider QB Mason Fine, also from Oklahoma.

(https://thumb.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ad/2018-0718-CUSAMD-MasonFine.jpg/500px-2018-0718-CUSAMD-MasonFine.jpg?utm_source=en.wikipedia.org&utm_campaign=parser&utm_content=thumbnail)

Title: Re: Truth & Rec, CFL Football
Post by: Horseman on September 27, 2026, 06:03:34 PM
Univ of Regina has a receiver named Michael Eagle Bear, whom I assume is native.
Title: Re: Truth & Rec, CFL Football
Post by: markf on September 27, 2026, 06:39:48 PM
Quote from: bunker on September 27, 2026, 05:19:30 PMDane Evans was a native American.

I didn't know that I found an interview with him about it... https://cfl.ca/2021/09/29/oleary-evans-opens-native-american-roots/

Too bad he couldn't make it, he had the tools.
Title: Re: Truth & Rec, CFL Football
Post by: Blue In BC on September 27, 2026, 08:32:29 PM
Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 27, 2026, 05:03:36 PMIn the O'Shea era?

Yes in the earlier years of his tenure. He might have been drafted or just added to the PR as an undrafted player. I seem to recall he returned for a 2nd season or part of it on the PR.