Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2023/2024 Season

Started by ModAdmin, August 15, 2023, 06:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Hope he fits in and steps up with the players he will have around him. 

55% this year in faceoffs is nice, but he hasn't done much, or played full years, in quite a while.

Traded from Cgy WITH a 1st round pick for future considerations is not a trade I would have expected anyone to make, guessing there were salary/surgery concerns. 

"The Flames traded Monahan and a conditional first-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft to the Montreal Canadiens on Aug. 18, 2022 for future considerations. He played his final game March 31 because of surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right hip. It was the second straight season Monahan has had the same surgery. He also had wrist surgery after the 2016-17 season, and four surgeries, one for his wrist and groin, and two to repair hernias, after being shut down near the end of the 2017-18 season."

Again, Chevy usually makes pretty good trades.  I was disappointed that this time he didn't find that off menu guy.  But I will wait and see how this works.

Looks like he is going back to 23 with Perfetti already wearing 91...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

This is awesome.

We got that legit 2C we needed. Excellent on the PP and face-off circle. Undervalued because of his injury history but on a recent tear.

The perfect fit.
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on February 02, 2024, 04:34:46 PMHope he fits in and steps up with the players he will have around him. 

55% this year in faceoffs is nice, but he hasn't done much, or played full years, in quite a while.

Traded from Cgy WITH a 1st round pick for future considerations is not a trade I would have expected anyone to make, guessing there were salary/surgery concerns. 

"The Flames traded Monahan and a conditional first-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft to the Montreal Canadiens on Aug. 18, 2022 for future considerations. He played his final game March 31 because of surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right hip. It was the second straight season Monahan has had the same surgery. He also had wrist surgery after the 2016-17 season, and four surgeries, one for his wrist and groin, and two to repair hernias, after being shut down near the end of the 2017-18 season."

Again, Chevy usually makes pretty good trades.  I was disappointed that this time he didn't find that off menu guy.  But I will wait and see how this works.

Looks like he is going back to 23 with Perfetti already wearing 91...

What's an off-menu guy? Like someone no one has heard of?

Monahan is a former star who's struggled with injuries now back to 100% and has made very good contributions to Montreal. And it's costing us peanuts.

This is an ideal move...
#Ride?

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_or_die on February 02, 2024, 05:35:06 PMWhat's an off-menu guy? Like someone no one has heard of?

Monahan is a former star who's struggled with injuries now back to 100% and has made very good contributions to Montreal. And it's costing us peanuts.

This is an ideal move...

Like the Stasny trade... he wasn't on anyone's radar as being available... and he fit perfectly.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Bonafide 2C. Top 6 just got a lot better. And the price is practically peanuts.

Love the timing, too. It'll give Monahan time to get acclimated with the system and his teammates/linemates.

Cheveldayoff done did good!
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

This trade will also make our 4th line a little better and maybe get a little more scoring out of them. Thinking maybe 36/7/9.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on February 02, 2024, 05:36:21 PMLike the Stasny trade... he wasn't on anyone's radar as being available... and he fit perfectly.

Ok, but Monohan was on everyone's radar...and fits perfectly.

This is nothing but a win, aards. Give me some of those famous blue goggles.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on February 02, 2024, 05:47:16 PMOk, but Monohan was on everyone's radar...and fits perfectly.

This is nothing but a win, aards. Give me some of those famous blue goggles.

Didn't say it wasn't a win.. just saying if Chevy had found a player off the radar and made the trade, it adds to his bonafides.  This was a solid trade, at a decent price, and one that just about anyone could make. 

Yes, the trade makes us better and doesn't cost a lot and Monahan could even be re-signed, depending on how well he finishes the season and if he stays healthy.

Jesse

Well, I think you're being a bit weird on this one bud.

I personally don't think Monahan is a re-sign candidate. If all goes according to plan (ours and his), he is able to parlay this season into a much larger contract next year.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on February 02, 2024, 06:00:03 PMDidn't say it wasn't a win.. just saying if Chevy had found a player off the radar and made the trade, it adds to his bonafides.  This was a solid trade, at a decent price, and one that just about anyone could make. 

Who's this off-the-radar, mystical centre and what would've the Jets had to have given up to get him?

And FWIW, Stastny wasn't necessarily off the radar in 2018. He just had to waive his movement clause in order to facilitate the trade back then.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 02, 2024, 06:26:19 PMWho's this off-the-radar, mystical centre and what would've the Jets had to have given up to get him?

And FWIW, Stastny wasn't necessarily off the radar in 2018. He just had to waive his movement clause in order to facilitate the trade back then.

Exactly.

The mystical centre is just that.  Someone who no one expected would be available, but somehow, Chevy culd do something to make the deal.  Like getting a no movement clause waived.  I'm sure there are plenty of guys with no movement clauses out there, especially no trade to Winnipeg (contracts signed years ago, before we became contenders).

What I am surprised about is that no bodies went back in this trade.  Guessing one reason we had to risk waivers on Chisholm.  I had expected Stanley to be part of the trade for a centre.  Might there still b a trade coming for a D man?

Jesse

Dman still probably being looked for.

Your mystery trades, if they occur, will happen closer to the deadline. Chevy had said with the trades last year that he didn't even know they guys were available to trade until a week before the deadline. Hence, "the surprise". Those moves are yet to happen.

This move was a priority we needed to make happen before we lost him to another team. We were apparently in on Lindholm too, but the asking price got too high to we moved on to Manohan before that bidding got out of hand too.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

I didn't realize that PLD was a sign and trade deal... he presently has no "no trade clause" in effect... but next year, full NMC, and in 28-29 it moves to 15 team NTC, and then 10 teams the final 2 years.

So... LA could trade him now... Montreal is short a C...

Jockitch

Would ya move Stanley for Justin Barron, who the Habs recently sent to the minors for Stanley

He's a rt shot dman with upside at 22 yrs. and brother of our Morgan 
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

Pigskin

I like Stanley, he adds some toughness to this team when he plays. But, he's never going to improve without ice time at the NHL level.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.