Official Game Day Thread - BC at Winnipeg - November 11, 2023 - Western Final

Started by ModAdmin, November 09, 2023, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on November 13, 2023, 08:20:46 PM
Was wondering about the Baron hitting Dobson on the illegal procedure play. He knew the play wasnt going to be live, yet he drives into Dobson..how is that not roughing?

Ya I thought the same thing @IGF.  Surely that's roughing.  You can't just come in and blow up an OL because he's wobbling back.  Run up and touch him, sure.  But blow him out of the water??  And clearly it was on purpose just to get a free shot in.

I don't think I've ever seen a DLman do that before in the CFL.  It's dangerous as the OLman is defenceless as they are just trying to stop rocking back.  Dobson could have been concussed there, like Rempel was as LS.  We got the Rempel rule for that.  Maybe we need a Dobson rule in the off-season.
Never go full Rider!

Horseman

dd

No they don?t need a special Dobson rule, just enforce the ones they have. It was both unnecessary and rough, so should have been a 15 yd UR penalty. You can?t plant a 300 lb guy on his backside on a procedure call that was whistled dead immediately, and have no foul on the play. Brutal missed call

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 12, 2023, 01:28:04 AM
Play calling on offence was a little off. We hardly threw to Bailey, Woli and not at all to McCrae. Maybe that was because of the success running and trying to protect our nicked receivers. IDK

I think MOS and Buck saw what our D was doing, saw that BC could do absolutely nothing on O, and went into total conservative mode.  Why take shots that could be INTs against good DBs when you can win the game with a low-risk O game?

Zach with not only 0 INTs, but even 0 potential INTs.  He took zero shots that had any chance of being INT'd.  This was by design by Buck (calls) and Zach (reads).  It was the ultimate in zero-risk O.  Look at when Zach loses: he's making bad choices and giving up INTs.  So how do we not lose?  Don't take chances.  Works great when your D is on fire.

It is precisely what we need to do in the GC.  Our D will have Cody crying.  Our O can basically run a no-pass O.  As long as we get 20-40Y most drives, we'll win just by field position math.  We have enough crazy run plays in out book, with 4 great runners, we can keep them guessing even if they put the whole team on the LoS.  I'll elaborate in the GC thread.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on November 14, 2023, 02:11:39 AM
No they don?t need a special Dobson rule, just enforce the ones they have. It was both unnecessary and rough, so should have been a 15 yd UR penalty. You can?t plant a 300 lb guy on his backside on a procedure call that was whistled dead immediately, and have no foul on the play. Brutal missed call

I agree.  However, it's not in the rule book so it's left up to ref discretion.  Just as the LS wasn't protected against Rempel'ing in '18, hoggies aren't protected against this.  If you have a clear Rempel rule then the refs have no leeway and either they, or EITS, are forced to call it.

I get what you're saying, and completely agree, but the refs will just say "but he moved, IP" and "he's a big hoggie, he can take it".  Too bad they didn't show MOS after that play... he was probably giving the nearest official an earful.
Never go full Rider!

Tiger

High praise from BC:

"Right now, we're just trying to figure out how to beat the Bombers," said Neil McEvoy, B.C.'s co-general manager and director of football operations.

"Let's call it what it is. They are the upper echelon football team in the Canadian Football League. We are trying to beat them and as we unfortunately saw on Saturday, we're not there yet."

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/b-c-lions-reflect-after-season-once-again-ends-in-winnipeg-1.2035245

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Tiger on November 14, 2023, 03:57:59 AM
High praise from BC:

"Right now, we're just trying to figure out how to beat the Bombers," said Neil McEvoy, B.C.'s co-general manager and director of football operations.

They are exactly where we were from 2015-2019 when we did nothing but "trying to figure out how to beat the Stamps".  It may end in the same result, finally achieving it... let's hope that's after 2025... or never.  Does the BC org stay patient with Campbell if he loses 3 straight WDFs??
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 14, 2023, 04:43:44 AM
They are exactly where we were from 2015-2019 when we did nothing but "trying to figure out how to beat the Stamps".  It may end in the same result, finally achieving it... let's hope that's after 2025... or never.  Does the BC org stay patient with Campbell if he loses 3 straight WDFs??
The Stamps had an amazing dynasty going for almost a decade and that more or less ended in 2019 when we FINALLY beat them at home in 2019 with Zach playing his very first game after only a weeks practice with the team.    Strevy was banged up and Zach started and he made that ridiculously impossible play to Adams in the corner of the end zone and we ended up winning that game.    That's about the time our dynasty started and Calgary's ended.    We spanked them in the WSF and then we battled the Riders in their barn for the WF.   That game had a lot of heart stopping moments in the last minutes of the game and the Riders kept finding ways to stay alive and we kept feeding them the chances.....and then Cody rings one off the crossbar and it was all over....and we end up going to the Cup and winning it.   
Right now it's great to be a Bomber fan and guys like me who've been following the team for over 60 years have seen some very lean times and some very good times.    I'm not thinking about the lean times right now, however at some point in the future we will likely go through years where we aren't as dominant as we are now.
I'm living in the moment right now and enjoying every minute of it.....bring that Cup back to Winnipeg....to the very best fans in the league!
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Have we ever seen Zach call so many audibles in a game?  He often goes many weeks without ever changing a play.  In this game he seemed to do it like 6-10 times!  Scooby scooby, and kill kill (switching to plan B?), and some other calls I didn't catch.  And they mostly worked out!

I wonder if he's been told by Buck to wing it more, and go with what he sees, vs sticking with the plan.  Usually Buck/Zach are a very "stick with the plan" pair.

Depending on the noise @HAM, we may or may not see as many audibles.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 14, 2023, 10:43:01 AM
Have we ever seen Zach call so many audibles in a game?  He often goes many weeks without ever changing a play.  In this game he seemed to do it like 6-10 times!  Scooby scooby, and kill kill (switching to plan B?), and some other calls I didn't catch.  And they mostly worked out!

I wonder if he's been told by Buck to wing it more, and go with what he sees, vs sticking with the plan.  Usually Buck/Zach are a very "stick with the plan" pair.

Depending on the noise @HAM, we may or may not see as many audibles.

He was audibling out of run plays as BC stacked the line.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Another marvelous defensive outing against a pretty potent offensive unit in the Lions.

Offensively, Oliveira ran the table early on and couldn't be stopped. Bully ball won the day, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TBURGESS

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

theaardvark

I really don't think the outcome was in doubt from the start of the game.  The way we dominated, it should have been a 50-13 blowout.  We left points on the field, we should have had TD's instead of FG's, and instead of FG misses.

Yes, 3 phases.  Sacks, points and ST blocked kick all added in... but this team exerted its will on BC the whole game.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

GOLDMEMBER

We won on a total team effort with the blocked punt included.
To say we won because of the blocked punt alone you are short changing the rest of the teams efforts.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 14, 2023, 08:43:11 PM
We won on a total team effort with the blocked punt included.
To say we won because of the blocked punt alone you are short changing the rest of the teams efforts.
I would agree Goldie....the blocked punt did give us a huge jolt of momentum and the fans went absolutely nuts.....however as OSH said "they were relentless" as was our D and when they loaded the box to key on Brady....hello Kenny Lawler.    It was the quintessential team victory in every sense of the word!
Bomber fan for life