Official Game Day Thread - BC at Winnipeg - November 11, 2023 - Western Final

Started by ModAdmin, November 09, 2023, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 14, 2023, 02:17:30 AM
I agree.  However, it's not in the rule book so it's left up to ref discretion.  Just as the LS wasn't protected against Rempel'ing in '18, hoggies aren't protected against this.  If you have a clear Rempel rule then the refs have no leeway and either they, or EITS, are forced to call it.

I get what you're saying, and completely agree, but the refs will just say "but he moved, IP" and "he's a big hoggie, he can take it".  Too bad they didn't show MOS after that play... he was probably giving the nearest official an earful.
The long snapper is protected on kicks from scrimmage, and this foul was called in the game- a first that I have seen. Umpires job on a punt is to ensure the snapper doesn't get smoked with his head down, and if he does, 15 yds and a 1st down for punting team

Waffler

I have seen it called although it has been a long time. I thought guys knew better and that's why we don't see it. Offside does not give you a free shot on anybody.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on November 14, 2023, 12:33:56 PM
He was audibling out of run plays as BC stacked the line.

But scooby was the run play.  He called it twice and they switched to the run.  There were a few different audibles he was calling.

My point really isn't that it was changing this or that to the other, it was that we almost never see Zach call audibles.  He's like the anti-audible.  Cody is usually Mr. Audible-Thinks-He-Knows-Better-Then-Fails.  Strangely, Cody didn't call too many audibles in the EDF: maybe Maas reigned him in (smart move).
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TBURGESS on November 14, 2023, 02:37:37 PM
The blocked punt TD won the game IMO.

The Hallett TD allowed our O to go extremely conservative.  Even more so than they were already.  Buck called a very conservative, safe game and Zach played it very safe and clearly avoided dangerous shots.  Not only did BC not INT him, I don't think there was even one play where there was any chance whatsoever.  Clearly low-risk low-reward grind-it-out is our post-season gameplan after the turnovers in the '22 GC.

I have no doubt that if we were ever behind we would have turned the "normal" O back on.  No doubt.  After BC's first drive of the 2nd H it was clear WPG was going to win and BC had nothing... as long as we didn't turn it over.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on November 14, 2023, 11:59:18 PM
The long snapper is protected on kicks from scrimmage, and this foul was called in the game- a first that I have seen. Umpires job on a punt is to ensure the snapper doesn't get smoked with his head down, and if he does, 15 yds and a 1st down for punting team

I'm nearly positive we saw the Rempel Rule applied once before, in the last 0-2 years.  This EDF one is definitely the first in the post-season.

I will not be surprised when we get a Dobson rule in this off-season.
Never go full Rider!