Official Game Day Thread - BC at Winnipeg - Aug. 3, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, August 01, 2023, 09:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Signature game.  First place up for the best team.

Key players scheduled to return - Kyrie Wilson and Winston Rose.

Keys to the game?  Solid performances by the Oline and Dline, including protection for ZC8.  BC will definitely bring the heat.

In for the Bombers:  #19 Wilson, #30 Rose, #32 Burtenshaw

Out for the Bombers:  #7 Parker, #15 Daramy-Swaray, #43 Beeksma

Notable game day features...

The late Bud Grant will be honoured prior to kick off
Half time show features X-Treme Dogs
The 50/50 starting pot is $100,000
Bring non-perishable food donations to the Purolator Tackle Hunger Booth in the Tailgate area.  Get your picture taken with the Grey Cup.

Ed Tait's 48-Hour Primer - https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/08/01/48-hour-primer-bc-vs-wpg-7/

Game Preview, including Blu Bomber Depth Chart - https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/08/02/game-preview-bc-vs-wpg-7/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

ModAdmin

The Basics

Kickoff: Thursday, 7:30 p.m. CDT, IG Field, Winnipeg

TV: TSN; CBS Sports Network;
U.S. and International: live streaming

Radio: 680 CJOB

Last meeting: B.C. 30 Winnipeg 6 back on June 22nd at IG Field

PlayNow odds: The Blue Bombers are favoured by 5.5 points. For more betting options, click here.

Take note: The late Bud Grant will be honoured before the game with some of his family present at IG Field. No coach has won more games in Blue Bombers history than Grant ? 102 ? or Grey Cup championships, with four. Attending the game will be Bud?s son Mike, as well as two daughters in Kathy and Laurie. Also of importance, Thursday?s game is the annual Purolator Tackle Hunger game.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

kkc60

The Zipp

Big, big game.  Lions defence is really good.

Glad we are getting Rose and Wilson back.  Not really understanding scratching Parker and having one back up in the secondary and having 2 Full backs dressed - but they get paid to make these decisions and I am a schmoe on the internet.

Our offense is the strongest it has ever been - Buck has the people now we need an exceptional plan and execution.  We got destroyed last game at home vs the Lions and didn't come out very strong against a horrible Elks team after a bad loss in Ottawa - concerning for sure but this game can send a strong message to the Lions that we are still the top contender in the West. 

I want the bye and home field this season!!

3rdand1.5

Our "navy seal" import gets a lot of heat especially on another site, and I do respect some of the skepticism of using an import spot at FB, but he actually is a really good blocker and honestly, we need all the help keeping Zach upright especially against that fantastic front 7 of BC. It makes us thin elsewhere but as an above poster mentioned we don't get paid to make those decisions.

GO BLUE

Jesse

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on August 02, 2023, 03:15:02 PM
Our "navy seal" import gets a lot of heat especially on another site, and I do respect some of the skepticism of using an import spot at FB, but he actually is a really good blocker and honestly, we need all the help keeping Zach upright especially against that fantastic front 7 of BC. It makes us thin elsewhere but as an above poster mentioned we don't get paid to make those decisions.

GO BLUE

I?m almost fine with keeping the seal on if he?s helping with pass protection and run blocking.

But you can?t tell me there?s no way to dress one or more of: Parker, Daramy-Swaray, and/or another DL option.
My wife is amazing!

Waffler

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on August 02, 2023, 03:15:02 PM
Our "navy seal" import... we need all the help keeping Zach upright especially against that fantastic front 7 of BC.

I think it's a good idea. They are bringing the rush every passing down. Pressure on our QB is how they did it last time. They will keep trying it until we stop them. If we hold them off long enough, we will make plays.  Ideally I prefer a Canadian to be the new Wade Miller but 48 is a tough guy, a heart guy. I think he'll get it done.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

So Darby isn't good enough to start but they leave him on the AR and take out Parker and ADS? That leaves McCrae as the primary returner when he only returned K/O's last week?

I don't get the situation with Darby and Kramdi.

Jackson still on the AR? If he helps keep the Lions off of Collaros so he has time to pass, then it will be a great decision. Hindsight is always 100% but it seems O'Shea has a man crush on this player. I agree with the concern about not dressing another DL as a preference.

We best not hear that the defence was tired after the game as a result!!
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Jackson was a DE/OLB in college... can he come in for Cheetah?  Jake, Jeffs, Jackson... might be interesting...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 02, 2023, 03:37:23 PM
Jackson was a DE/OLB in college... can he come in for Cheetah?  Jake, Jeffs, Jackson... might be interesting...

If they planned to use him that way it would make more sense IMO. OTOH, how many times will he be on the field as a FB? Keeping in mind that an import receiver has to come off when he's on. So we might get better blocking but have less targets on each of those plays against a very good Lions secondary.

A smaller issue but worth mentioning depending on where they move the 2 DB's: We could have moved Jackson and or Cole to the PR. I'm not so sure we will or can do that with Parker and ADS without risk of losing them. So there is an SMS issue versus best roster options.

The roster moves might require players being released from the PR to make room. Depends on the choices made or could have been made with different players. At the moment I suspect Parker and ADS are moved to 1 game IR.

As others have mentioned the proof is in the game play and results. If we keep the Lions off the field with either very good offensive or defensive performance and don't lose any DL to injury, then all will be good.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

Quote from: theaardvark on August 02, 2023, 03:37:23 PM

He never practices there. I can't see it. I think the whole strategy is just buy time and let the best receivers in the league do their thing.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

Quote from: Waffler on August 02, 2023, 04:03:30 PM
He never practices there. I can't see it. I think the whole strategy is just buy time and let the best receivers in the league do their thing.

From the bench?  Bailey is very good at blocking for receivers downfield. Jackson will be at or much closer to LOS.  Wouldn't expect Schoen to come off when Jackson is on the field, so that suggests Bailey will lose some reps.

Seriously, does anybody know how many times Jackson lined up as a blocker in the last game? We had just over 40 plays on offence against the Elks.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Starting 6 Nats on O but only needing 5 mans Wolitarski, Demski or Olivera can come off for Jackson as well... or anyone who is nicked of winded...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Waffler

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 02, 2023, 04:06:20 PM
From the bench? 

I understand what you are saying but if not this, what is your answer to their pass rush? We got badly beaten last game, I can't see just trying the same thing that didn't work then. I don't put it down to just a bad game for the o-line.

Waffler

I guarantee the main pillar of their game plan is pressure Zach. This is our counter. We gamble that fewer receivers are still good enough to get open. I think they will.