Zach will be our QB in 2027(?)

Started by Tecno, October 04, 2026, 03:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlf

Quote from: barbk on October 04, 2026, 01:36:30 PMI can see ZC coming back to WFC as a QB coach or being groomed as our next OC.  I also think he will make a good commentator with TSN.

This is exactly what I see.  I do not see him coming back. I love ZC but even he won't want to come back and play the way things went.

I see a nice transition role for him here or TSN as well. He's great at explaining plays.  Great future for him.

markf

#16
What things has o'shea  has done well, and what things had he done poorly?

One of mine in the badly executed category ....I don't think it's related to team performance, but I stopped listening to any of his press conferences, since it seemed like more like a debating competition than an effort to communicate with team fans.

If Zach is the QB next season, I can't see OShea lasting much past that with the team.








3rdand1.5

My 2 cents, Zach should not be our QB next year. Let's celebrate all the positive he has brought us and make a clean break this offseason.

BBRT

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 04, 2026, 05:05:40 AMZach shouldn't have been the starter this year, let alone next year. He's part of the problems, not part of the solution.

Amen! So very true!

Throw Long Bannatyne

#19
Quote from: Tecno on October 04, 2026, 07:37:27 AMThat's what many want.  What I'm saying is that doesn't appear to be what is happening.

You really think WFC is going to part ways with Zach with him having played his last game as a Bomber in September; after we roll into (out of!) the post-season losing every game (where the other team is trying) with Dru?

That's a horrible look and a horrible end to a probably-ring-of-honor QB.  I really can't see it unfolding like that.  That would be even worse than how we parted with AH33.  What's most likely is, if we make it to the post-season, Zach will start.  Then we'll go all off-season with no word from WFC what is going on and Zach is the starter PS 2027 and week 1 2027.

It'd be great if future Bomber HoF'ers could go out on their own terms at the top of the charts, but that hasn't happened since Milt retired. Both Bighill and Harris got a boot in the behind on their way out the door and Stan is likely to slink off silently to announce his retirement from North Carolina without any fanfare, not to be seen again till the HoF ceremony many years down the road.

Zach is smart enough to read the tea leaves and he can see his big payday is drawing to a close.  He doesn't seem to have anything else but his family to fall back on so he's going to milk the CFL and associated fame for as long as he can, just as Milt and other  former CFL stars have for decades.  He either goes into broadcasting or makes the ultimate sacrifice in pay and starts his coaching career as an offensive assistant.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Tecno on October 04, 2026, 12:19:54 PMLooks like you're right. My bad. So we can shed Zach in FA like he's some used up cb or hb without any real repercussions.

I guess that's a good thing.

I have a feeling we're about to be on the losing edge of qb musical chairs for a few years. There's really only 3 or 4 current guys that will still be playing and winning games in 1 to 3 years. 9 teams chasing those few guys.

The league needs new blood badly. And the couple of high-hopes perennial backups like Powell need to be given the reigns to sink or swim so we can see if they have any future.

Ssk is gonna be in the same boat as us. The prairies might be screwed for a while.

Fajardo was available after the 2024 season for quite awhile before being traded to the Elks for MBT to backup Tre Ford, a role which  only lasted 5 or 6 games before taking over. Zach was already on the decline and Cody had beaten the Bombers in the 2023 GC and was still playing well, plus he's 4 years younger than Zach and signed for less than 1/2 of his salary. A savvy GM would have acted on that information alone, that was an open opportunity for improvement that was not acted upon at the time.

BlueInCgy

My guess is- Zach won't be a Bomber next year, but he also won't retire.  There's a pretty significant gap in the aging QB ranks and I can see him signing elsewhere as a backup/playing coach. 

BlueInCgy

#22
Quote from: Tecno on October 04, 2026, 12:19:54 PMThe league needs new blood badly. And the couple of high-hopes perennial backups like Powell need to be given the reigns to sink or swim so we can see if they have any future.

Ssk is gonna be in the same boat as us. The prairies might be screwed for a while.

While I agree that the QB pool is aging out rapidly, unfortunately the "perennial backups" are generally that for a reason.  I can't think of too many in the last three decades that have panned out. 

Zach, Harris, BLM, MBT, Fajardo (the youngest of the bunch I think) are all on the 2028 retirees list (or sooner).  Alexander, Rourke and Kelly are going to reset QB salaries, which mean the floor rises for the up and comers as well.  Evans, Dolegala, Maier, Brown are (unfortunately) not starters (Maier might be the exception but he'd need to basically be dropped into a 2026 Lions or Als team in order to succeed).  Arbuckle will benefit from Kelly either moving on or getting massive bank from the Argos, so he's starting somewhere next season.  Ford might have a VAJ type resurgence if he smartens up, but he's starting somewhere in the next 2 seasons for better or worse.

Problem is lousy 2nd string salaries in the CFl are a deterrent for young talent.

Frost and Perkins have potential.  Powell keeps getting talked up, but my mind keeps drawing parallels to Cavillos heir apparent (whose name escapes me) who everyone thought was going to be great and flopped hard.

When Dickenson hangs it up, the CFL should be him on contract as a league QB developer.  Say what you will about the guy, but if there's potential in a QB, he can bring it out.

Tecno

Quote from: BlueInCgy on October 04, 2026, 11:55:56 PMMy guess is- Zach won't be a Bomber next year, but he also won't retire.  There's a pretty significant gap in the aging QB ranks and I can see him signing elsewhere as a backup/playing coach. 

Very true. If Trevor retires, and Bo gets hurt again or isn't recovered, then there will be at least 3 teams without real qbs. If you're faced with starting Ford then buying Zach might be very appealing.
Never go full Johnston!

Blueforlife

Frost looks pretty good with that cannon

Tecno

Quote from: Blueforlife on Today at 01:05:37 AMFrost looks pretty good with that cannon

LOL.  Doubt Frost is even still in the CFL in 2 years.  So many come through looking like him.  They don't last.

He doesn't have "it".  You see "it" the first few times they play.  There is no "it" here.  Besides Calvillo, and maybe Cody, no one ever becomes a star without quickly showing "it".
Never go full Johnston!

Blueforlife

Quote from: Tecno on Today at 01:12:58 AMLOL.  Doubt Frost is even still in the CFL in 2 years.  So many come through looking like him.  They don't last.

He doesn't have "it".  You see "it" the first few times they play.  There is no "it" here.  Besides Calvillo, and maybe Cody, no one ever becomes a star without quickly showing "it".
I'll take that bet, I'm not that high on him but he has shown decent flashes imo

I see a reasonable backup at this point with the arm talent to give me hope he sticks

dd

I can see Arbuckle starting next year, if Ottawa doesn't snag Kelly, Dinwiddie will take Arbuckle over what he's had this year. And if Ottawa takes Kelly, I'd be hoping Walters is on the phone to try and get Arbuckle here vs let him sign with Toronto.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: BlueInCgy on October 04, 2026, 11:55:56 PMMy guess is- Zach won't be a Bomber next year, but he also won't retire.  There's a pretty significant gap in the aging QB ranks and I can see him signing elsewhere as a backup/playing coach. 

The last playing coach might have been Bud Grant in 1922.

Tecno

Quote from: Blueforlife on Today at 01:19:56 AMI'll take that bet, I'm not that high on him but he has shown decent flashes imo

I see a reasonable backup at this point with the arm talent to give me hope he sticks

I think Love has more a chance of making it than Frost.  And I'd peg Love's chances at 5%...

And I'm talking #1.  As backups and perennial "in development" guys (think Dom Davis), then ya, Frost & Love might stick around a few seasons.  But neither will be a franchise #1 star, and I'll take your gentlemen's bet on it.

Powell is the next potential star.  Other than that, the next stars aren't even in the league right now.  That's the problem.
Never go full Johnston!