Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg @ Montreal, October 3, 2026

Started by ModAdmin, October 02, 2026, 01:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tecno

I wonder if it's even possible to win with an immobile QB anymore.  It's not that MTL or EDM are so darn good, it's that their QBs are a threat to escape for an easy 1st down (or big downfield pass on the run) every single snap.  That hamstrings the pass-rushers as they always have to worry about contain.  And the opposite is true when you have Zach & Dru, as no one has to ever worry about contain or the QB escaping up the middle.

That makes our OL look worse than MTL/EDM, even though it's probably not that much worse.  That makes our max-pro blocking look worse than MTL/EDM max pro.  Everything just looks worse.

Even the magic T.Harris 2025 situation isn't working this season because teams have figured out how to attack even the best short-game in the league.  And SSK doesn't have the best OL anymore, which doesn't help.

So if you're going to roll with a R.Ray / T.Harris / Zach / Dru style completely immobile can't-take-a-hit QB, then it's imperative that in FA you put together the absolute best OL no matter the cost.  Not just the best OL, but the best by a wide margin.  Like SSK had in '25.  Simply adding Broxton but sticking with mediocre Wallace, bringing in mediocre Els, not retiring completely done Stan, and even rolling with aging/slower Neuf is not viable.  We need a line like Brox/Desjar/Dobson/XXX/Yoshi.  (Replace XXX and maybe Yoshi with whoever is younger & hot right now.)

The only other choice is we need to find the next Alexander or Kelly or Rourke.  Or a not-very-good but seems-to-escape-everything oldster like Cody.  We're not going to win in this league with some middle ground great-at-nothing good-at-everything area anymore.  It simply cannot be done.
Never go full Johnston!

Sir Blue and Gold

#331
Quote from: tlf on Today at 03:04:45 AMJust so I have this straight... You all want Oshea gone (LOL)..and Zach gone and Dru gone.

Anyone you want to keep?

I'm not sure I want O'Shea gone. I like O'Shea. He's a good culture guy and he's mostly easy to cheer for.

But at the same time, his coordinator hires have been largely terrible and it's now three straight years of pretty large regression.

I want to be fair but what I am not seeing is any evidence of a self scout, self reflection or making different choices. He needs to go back to being the leader and driver at the helm because that's what it's going to take. It's not ideal, and he's going to dislike it, but we need early career, scrappy O'Shea back now or we need a new head coach.

Pigskin

Well, I didn't watch the 4th. quarter, switched to the MLB playoffs. It looks like Dru played the whole game. Sad that MOS wouldn't put Perkins in for at least a quarter.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Tecno

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on Today at 03:08:39 AMbut we need early career, scrappy O'Shea back now or we need a new head coach.

MOS went from the most-trick-plays-per-season guy to absolutely-zero-trick-plays in the last 2-3 seasons (maybe more).  You can't really win either way, but you do need to run a couple a season, like TOR did vs us last game.

And you can't say "it's Condell / Younger / Miller not designing tricks" because it's MOS who tells them how many trick plays to scheme & run.  And for years he's said "ZERO".  I'm sure Miller would love to draw up & call some plays like he used to execute in early Mafia years.
Never go full Johnston!

tlf

Quote from: Tecno on Today at 03:28:59 AMMOS went from the most-trick-plays-per-season guy to absolutely-zero-trick-plays in the last 2-3 seasons (maybe more).  You can't really win either way, but you do need to run a couple a season, like TOR did vs us last game.

And you can't say "it's Condell / Younger / Miller not designing tricks" because it's MOS who tells them how many trick plays to scheme & run.  And for years he's said "ZERO".  I'm sure Miller would love to draw up & call some plays like he used to execute in early Mafia years.


Didn't we have Buck back then? I miss him.

Big Daddy

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on Today at 03:08:39 AMI'm not sure I want O'Shea gone. I like O'Shea. He's a good culture guy and he's mostly easy to cheer for.

But at the same time, his coordinator hires have been largely terrible and it's now three straight years of pretty large regression.

I want to be fair but what I am not seeing is any evidence of a self scout, self reflection or making different choices. He needs to go back to being the leader and driver at the helm because that's what it's going to take. It's not ideal, and he's going to dislike it, but we need early career, scrappy O'Shea back now or we need a new head coach.

I agree - I do like O'Shea and the culture he brought here.  I like O'Shea from a few years ago though, more early career like you said.

I had hope that he was doing a bit of accountability/self reflection by not going with the same coordinators this year.  Honestly it was a bit of a surprise that he did bring in Condell for this year - he does seem to be so freakin' stubborn about everything.

I liked his stubborn before, when it was paying off. Loyalty was working with building culture.

So yes, I agree, and I hope he can turn it around. 

As an aside - earlier it was pointed out he said it is hard to teach tackling when there are so few full pad practices.  Well, every team has the same restrictions, so what is everyone else doing better than us in that regard?

Tecno

Quote from: tlf on Today at 03:37:36 AMDidn't we have Buck back then? I miss him.

I think the vanilla-ing of the team started after Lapo left.  We were far more creative under Lapo and took more special-teams risks/tricks pre-Lapo.  MOS used to be far more involved in the X/O's when it came to tricks in early Mafia years.  Now, he says he has nothing to do with X/O's for years.

Buck was always more bland and straightforward (as he is in BC now).  He mainly rode the coattails of Lapo's scheme and the league-top team we had built at the time.
Never go full Johnston!

Big Daddy

Quote from: Tecno on Today at 03:47:14 AMI think the vanilla-ing of the team started after Lapo left.  We were far more creative under Lapo and took more special-teams risks/tricks pre-Lapo.  MOS used to be far more involved in the X/O's when it came to tricks in early Mafia years.  Now, he says he has nothing to do with X/O's for years.

Buck was always more bland and straightforward (as he is in BC now).  He mainly rode the coattails of Lapo's scheme and the league-top team we had built at the time.

I may be remembering this wrong, but wasn't LaPo somewhat vanilla as well toward the end of his tenure?  I seem to recall people complaining about him being predictable as well.  I do remember Buck basically continuing what LaPo did before him to pretty good effect, at least early on, but also being fairly predictable.

I think you are right - O'Shea used to be much more involved in the planning and developing trick plays, etc. - he sure likes to say he is not involved in the X's and O's, and leaves it to his coordinators.  That is a bit of a deflection, but not much - he's still ultimately responsible for what they do.  Which is why I am surprised he isn't being more involved like he seemed to be in the past, when everything is going down hill.

Does he honestly believe the team is on the verge of greatness, and it's just a matter of "looking at film" to correct a couple things?  Surely he can't believe that, even if he would say it.