Bombers are 500 football team at best

Started by Austin85, September 26, 2026, 04:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin85

We just a 500 team IMO. We don't have good coaching, we get out coached allot. Yes we won some games, the best was the banjo bowl. We need a pash rush  with our front four, but we do not. Our secondary gets burned for large explosion plays. The offense has a old qb who needs to retire. Who knows he may make a good OC. Dru Brown is inconsistent, even I thought he could be a starter but he has regressed. Our receivers are ok but not spectacular. Linebackers are tough, but sometimes forget how to tackle, but that goes for the defense in general. Brady is our best player but even he is human and misses assignments on the passing game. Willie tries his bes, but is getting old. I think we may need a head coaching change,and GM. I would like to see what Danny McManus could do as GM. Look at James Vaughters he is having a good season,with Sask. Is it coaching why he didn't have a chance to excel.
I hate for us to fall deep in a hole as a team like Ottawa or Edmonton. Don't get me wrong we have some good players we just need to get better ones like Canadian receivers, and Offensive lineman. Let's hope Wade Miller is watching and he can maybe suggest a change to the right people.




Blue In BC

Good comments but we saw the handwriting on the wall before the seasons started. It's going to be a long off season.
One game at a time

Pigskin

Vaughters: 2025 36 DTs, 6 QS.  2026 16 DTs, 7 QS.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Austin85

Vaughters is still playing better then he did in Winnipeg IMO. He seems more focused than he did in Winnipeg. He may have had more DTs than this year but he is pressuring better and just seems more physical. Our coaching and management is faltering and we need to recognize this soon. Every team needs change in coaching and management we had a good run, but good teams make changes to keep them competitive.

Tecno

Quote from: Austin85 on September 27, 2026, 04:08:48 AMVaughters is still playing better then he did in Winnipeg IMO. He seems more focused than he did in Winnipeg.

He might be upping his game because he's a bubble guy who could be cut any one of these off-seasons.  I think he does better in heavy rotation and surrounded by stronger guys -- like he is in SSK vs '25 WPG.
Never go full Johnston!

Tecno

Quote from: Pigskin on September 26, 2026, 02:33:08 PMVaughters: 2025 36 DTs, 6 QS.  2026 16 DTs, 7 QS.

Keep in mind Vaughters sees less snaps in SSK because of more dressed linemen and heavier rotation.  In that sense his performance this year is pretty darn good for a "value" signing.
Never go full Johnston!

Tecno

Quote from: Austin85 on September 26, 2026, 04:46:29 AMBrady is our best player but even he is human and misses assignments on the passing game.

Brady was whiffing in the TOR game too.  One of them resulted in a bad sack.  Brady calls himself the best blocking / all-round back in the league, but his blocking has been very weak this season.  At least every other game he's blowing 1-2 important blocks that even mediocre backs make.  I've dissected a couple in the GDTs.

If he wants that big fat paycheck he needs to stop getting beat by 2nd level guys trying to come free!!  We're not talking superstar DEs, so there's really no excuse to get spin-moved or swim-moved or whatever.

Stan is having his worst year ever, but many people are blaming a ton of Brady misses on Stan.  A lot of this is on Brady.  Our whole pass-blocking set & scheme is definitely bottom-3 for the league and it's pathetic.
Never go full Johnston!

GOLDMEMBER

Great comments Austin. I agree on all fronts basically.

Coaching staff has proven they cannot move on from aging poor playing Vets. One thing Wally Buono was good at was moving on from players.

I think this staff has gotten to comfortable with there surroundings.
Season ticket holder since year 1 of the Reinbold era.

blue_or_die

My honest opinion is that on one hand - very short term (i.e. the remainder of this season) - I'm not sold yet that we are done. All the criticism is fair and yeah, we are probably a 500 regular season team, but I do still believe we have enough gas to go the distance this year. We've been very inconsistent and have had some inexplicably bad flubs one week and then look like world-beaters the next. In the CFL, if we can just get into the playoffs and then get that best version of ourselves, we can win it all. Remember how crappy we looked in most of 2019 and then we won? I'm not banking on it, but it's absolutely in the realm of possibility.

Now longer term, this core is over. And that's ok - we've had an insane run with Collaros, Jefferson, Nichols, Bryant and the rest of the gang by not just CFL standards where continuity is in short supply but all pro sports. I think we need to prepare to move on from aging and underperforming players and go out there and find the next crop. That doesn't just mean we have to go and scout our own guys (although that will be the top priority), but we can potentially retool with some smart FA signings and can even be competitive next year (this is the CFL. Yes we can).

Doing that though will require us to break with the current M.O. (no pun intended but lol) which includes the insane loyalty factor we have which has been both a solution and cause to many of our problems throughout this regime. If that isn't something we're willing to do, then I think we start the conversation about moving on from the off-field personnel. If KW sees it this way and MOS does not, I think I'm OK with moving on with a new coaching regime. If WM sees it this way and both MOS and KW do not, I think I'm also ok with starting fresh at the management level.

Next year will be the time to rip the bandaid off and it will be interesting to see if it happens. If next year is another "one more try with the boys!" then I will have lost a lot of faith though. Every regime has its expiry date.

Anyway, probably shouldn't have posted that at this time of year though because right now I'm still glued on doing what we can to make the post season.
#Ride?

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_or_die on Today at 01:43:19 PMMy honest opinion is that on one hand - very short term (i.e. the remainder of this season) - I'm not sold yet that we are done. All the criticism is fair and yeah, we are probably a 500 regular season team, but I do still believe we have enough gas to go the distance this year. We've been very inconsistent and have had some inexplicably bad flubs one week and then look like world-beaters the next. In the CFL, if we can just get into the playoffs and then get that best version of ourselves, we can win it all. Remember how crappy we looked in most of 2019 and then we won? I'm not banking on it, but it's absolutely in the realm of possibility.

Now longer term, this core is over. And that's ok - we've had an insane run with Collaros, Jefferson, Nichols, Bryant and the rest of the gang by not just CFL standards where continuity is in short supply but all pro sports. I think we need to prepare to move on from aging and underperforming players and go out there and find the next crop. That doesn't just mean we have to go and scout our own guys (although that will be the top priority), but we can potentially retool with some smart FA signings and can even be competitive next year (this is the CFL. Yes we can).

Doing that though will require us to break with the current M.O. (no pun intended but lol) which includes the insane loyalty factor we have which has been both a solution and cause to many of our problems throughout this regime. If that isn't something we're willing to do, then I think we start the conversation about moving on from the off-field personnel. If KW sees it this way and MOS does not, I think I'm OK with moving on with a new coaching regime. If WM sees it this way and both MOS and KW do not, I think I'm also ok with starting fresh at the management level.

Next year will be the time to rip the bandaid off and it will be interesting to see if it happens. If next year is another "one more try with the boys!" then I will have lost a lot of faith though. Every regime has its expiry date.

Anyway, probably shouldn't have posted that at this time of year though because right now I'm still glued on doing what we can to make the post season.

Fair analysis. As they say " on any given day". We still have a chance to get to the Grey Cup and win. Odds are not in our favour but getting hot at the right time is possible.

Like every season we don't know which teams will be the most healthy. In particular, which QB's are still standing after game 18.
One game at a time

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on Today at 04:32:21 PMFair analysis. As they say " on any given day". We still have a chance to get to the Grey Cup and win. Odds are not in our favour but getting hot at the right time is possible.

Like every season we don't know which teams will be the most healthy. In particular, which QB's are still standing after game 18.

In a 3 playoff game sprint to the Grey Cup I don't like the odds of Zach surviving till the end when it's so easy to take him out.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on Today at 04:41:33 PMIn a 3 playoff game sprint to the Grey Cup I don't like the odds of Zach surviving till the end when it's so easy to take him out.

I'm not even sure he'll play again this season.
One game at a time

markf

#12
Some players are able to keep playing at a high level past the normal age for this sport.

Some are not. I think there has been an effect on the thinking on this, from the forty year old players in the NFL that have succeeded ..

Brady, Flacco. Even Phillip rivers.
 
While I'm watching CFL games

I actually worry about some of these old players.