Winnipeg @ Montreal pre-game discussion.

Started by Pigskin, October 13, 2024, 07:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 18, 2024, 08:19:52 AMHow did TOR get such a good OL?  Is it FA splash?  Are they good/lucky in DP?  Scouted some good IMPs?  What's the secret sauce?

Just a few years ago TOR was horrifically bad, bottom of the league, with a garbage OL.  What did they do to fix it?

I'll take some of whatever they've been doing, please!

Like him or not John Murphy is an excellent scout, he's brought a lot of good import talent into the league, first for the Stamps, then for the Riders and now for the Argos. Vince Magri has also done a great job finding and drafting Natl. talent in the last few years.

Pigskin

With practice today, we should get an update on your injuries.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 18, 2024, 08:19:52 AMHow did TOR get such a good OL?  Is it FA splash?  Are they good/lucky in DP?  Scouted some good IMPs?  What's the secret sauce?

Just a few years ago TOR was horrifically bad, bottom of the league, with a garbage OL.  What did they do to fix it?

I'll take some of whatever they've been doing, please!

Stats are a measure of the results of plays, not the situation of the players.  A lot will depend on the playcalling, and teh OC's ability to take advantage of the Oline's strengths.  I don't think Buck has done that well this year.

We have a QB that holds onto the ball too long.  Whether that is a decision or just his mechanics, it is what it is.  So stats are going to be worse when you have to pass protect longer.

Not sure how Brady affects the run block stats, he does make a lot of his own holes and yards after contact.  His success in running may not be reflected in the ratings for the oline, I'm not sure how those are calculated.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Mick

Quote from: Pigskin on October 18, 2024, 05:25:50 PMThis already post in the Montreal Vs BC thread, why post it here?

Didn't realize that, was posting it as an insight to how they are playing the season out, resting players or not.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on October 18, 2024, 04:44:43 PMStats are a measure of the results of plays, not the situation of the players.  A lot will depend on the playcalling, and teh OC's ability to take advantage of the Oline's strengths.  I don't think Buck has done that well this year.

Ya, but there's an absolute level of OL quality that you can see and measure.  Just look at the great OLs, like TOR's.  It doesn't matter what teams send against them, as long as there is a numerical match or advantage the OL just holds everyone back.  Even for 5, 6, 7s sometimes.

It's what we enjoyed with the Couture/Desjar line-up.

I'm talking the OLs that just keep everyone away no matter how long it takes, and maybe let a guy through 0-2 times a game.  Think MTL in the '23 GC, or TOR in the last game.

Bottom line: our OL problem is a lot more than just playcalling and scheme and mistakes and wrong-depths, etc etc.  I know MOS says I'm wrong (Tues coaches show), but I'm not.  (He can't throw anyone under the bus, I can.)  There's an absolute size/speed/talent level that is your base.  The other things are on top of that, and are important; but if you start with a weaker base, your maximum achievable level will be lower.
Never go full Rider!

Pete

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 18, 2024, 11:27:09 PMYa, but there's an absolute level of OL quality that you can see and measure.  Just look at the great OLs, like TOR's.  It doesn't matter what teams send against them, as long as there is a numerical match or advantage the OL just holds everyone back.  Even for 5, 6, 7s sometimes.

It's what we enjoyed with the Couture/Desjar line-up.

I'm talking the OLs that just keep everyone away no matter how long it takes, and maybe let a guy through 0-2 times a game.  Think MTL in the '23 GC, or TOR in the last game.

Bottom line: our OL problem is a lot more than just playcalling and scheme and mistakes and wrong-depths, etc etc.  I know MOS says I'm wrong (Tues coaches show), but I'm not.  (He can't throw anyone under the bus, I can.)  There's an absolute size/speed/talent level that is your base.  The other things are on top of that, and are important; but if you start with a weaker base, your maximum achievable level will be lower.

case in point.. Ceresna vs Dobson last game. Just got overmatched

Blue In BC

Anyone attend practice yesterday? Curious to know if: Alexander, Griffin, Ayers, Feltmate or Woli look to be ready to play next week?

We did see that Randolph was added from the PR but there could be several changes to the roster coming. OTOH, they may wait to give players on IR one more week / two more weeks before the play off game. The question of rest versus practice comes to mind.

IMO the injured players have already been off for awhile and need an actual game before the playoffs. The catch is we don't know how serious some of the recent injuries were or if there is any chance of return.

Any guesses?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 19, 2024, 02:17:58 PMAnyone attend practice yesterday? Curious to know if: Alexander, Griffin, Ayers, Feltmate or Woli look to be ready to play next week?

We did see that Randolph was added from the PR but there could be several changes to the roster coming. OTOH, they may wait to give players on IR one more week / two more weeks before the play off game. The question of rest versus practice comes to mind.

IMO the injured players have already been off for awhile and need an actual game before the playoffs. The catch is we don't know how serious some of the recent injuries were or if there is any chance of return.

Any guesses?

From Ed:

@Wpg_BlueBombers practice update: Whitehead, Wolitarsky, Alexander, Nick Hallett not practising

_______

Griffin was back so should be good to go. Wallace has been practicing for weeks but not active. I don't really expect to see him again. No mention of Feltmate or Ayers so they were probs practicing.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on October 19, 2024, 02:22:32 PMFrom Ed:

@Wpg_BlueBombers practice update: Whitehead, Wolitarsky, Alexander, Nick Hallett not practising

_______

Griffin was back so should be good to go. Wallace has been practicing for weeks but not active. I don't really expect to see him again. No mention of Feltmate or Ayers so they were probs practicing.

Whitehead hasn't practised for weeks but seems to play every week. That's not necessarily a bad sign for the others except Woli who needs to practice and get game reps if we're going to see him back in 2025? While the Alexander and Hallett have played more recently it's not the best sign at the moment.

I guess we'll see when they get into daily practice starting tomorrow. After the bye they might have a 3 day + walk thru or at least a 2 day + walk thru?

I'd really like to see Alexander and Griffin back and have been hoping to see Woli for several weeks. Our depth at receiver is thin with Whitehead not 100%.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 19, 2024, 02:36:06 PMWhitehead hasn't practised for weeks but seems to play every week. That's not necessarily a bad sign for the others except Woli who needs to practice and get game reps if we're going to see him back in 2025? While the Alexander and Hallett have played more recently it's not the best sign at the moment.

I guess we'll see when they get into daily practice starting tomorrow. After the bye they might have a 3 day + walk thru or at least a 2 day + walk thru?

I'd really like to see Alexander and Griffin back and have been hoping to see Woli for several weeks. Our depth at receiver is thin with Whitehead not 100%.

All I know right now is they were given the minimum 4 days off for their bye week (planned that way long ago).

We'll see how that translates to their practice schedule.
My wife is amazing!

Mick

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 19, 2024, 02:36:06 PMWhitehead hasn't practised for weeks but seems to play every week. That's not necessarily a bad sign for the others except Woli who needs to practice and get game reps if we're going to see him back in 2025? While the Alexander and Hallett have played more recently it's not the best sign at the moment.

We're not getting Alexander back this year.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Mick on October 19, 2024, 03:48:58 PMWe're not getting Alexander back this year.

Unfortunate but Kelly looked good last game. It is a depth issue though and it's a loss.
2019 Grey Cup Champions