Winnipeg @ Montreal pre-game discussion.

Started by Pigskin, October 13, 2024, 07:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobombersgo

Some Bomber transactions today:

2024-10-16   WPG 
Weitz, Fabian   LB   G   Cologne Centurions (ELF)   TRF TO PRACTICE ROSTER   Practice Roster
2024-10-16   WPG  RANDOLPH, Kendall  OL   A   Alabama   ADD FROM PRACTICE ROSTER   Game Roster
2024-10-16   WPG   MCGHEE, Tyrique   DB   A   Georgia   TRF TO PRACTICE ROSTER   Practice Roster
2024-10-16   WPG   CHARBONNEAU, Max   LB   N   Ottawa   TRF TO PRACTICE ROSTER   Practice Roster

Pete

Quote from: gobombersgo on October 16, 2024, 11:39:12 PMSome Bomber transactions today:

2024-10-16   WPG 
Weitz, Fabian   LB   G   Cologne Centurions (ELF)   TRF TO PRACTICE ROSTER   Practice Roster
2024-10-16   WPG  RANDOLPH, Kendall  OL   A   Alabama   ADD FROM PRACTICE ROSTER   Game Roster
2024-10-16   WPG   MCGHEE, Tyrique   DB   A   Georgia   TRF TO PRACTICE ROSTER   Practice Roster
2024-10-16   WPG   CHARBONNEAU, Max   LB   N   Ottawa   TRF TO PRACTICE ROSTER   Practice Roster
think they are just doing this to mess with us on a bye week

Sir Blue and Gold

Randolph coming back to save the day?

dd

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 17, 2024, 12:41:36 AMRandolph coming back to save the day?
Hopefully he does as our O line was dreadful last game. People are saying we came out flat, no, we just lost the battle at the line of scrimmage terribly and couldn't get anything going. Hopefully things change with Randolph in the lineup

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on October 17, 2024, 12:30:27 AMthink they are just doing this to mess with us on a bye week

No, I think they are sorting out the TOR debacle right now.  What lost us the game?  Arguably the OL.  Randolph coming back in is the direct solution.  We were instantly better when he slotted in at RG.  Could this hint that one of Dobson or Neufeld was the worst and is being benched or demoted to 6th (or 7th!).

McGhee didn't do much.  Charbonneau didn't do much on D.  In the end TOR didn't have much O, and didn't want to or need to.  Maybe they were brought in mostly to ensure Grant doesn't bust one on ST.  That risk is lower with MTL.

But Cody or Alexander will be hitting us with a big air attack, whether short or long.  They didn't run much vs OTT... they never run much anyhow.  So we can't sleep on the D roster.  Then again, it's really never been the D that lets us down, regardless of who has been rostered.

Maybe we'll realize we need to score big to win, not sit in turtle mode and lose 14-11.

Also, it might be nice to keep Zach from getting creamed for once.  He's still the league's 2nd most fragile QB (after Trevor, of course).
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on October 16, 2024, 08:23:21 PMNo matter what happens with the Bombers the rest of this season I am very proud of this club and the way they battled back from an 0-4, 2-6 start and battled through so many injuries and the loss of some really great players (Shoen, Bighill).

Well said.  8 weeks ago we were trying to figure out the math just to get into the playoffs.  Now we're upset if we don't lock up first soon enough.  I'm proud of what they've done, even with a 6GIR that has enough talent to populate most teams' starting roster!

Personally I want to see them getting to the cup because the W is so weak, it's almost a gimmee.  (Yes, SSK really only has that short pass game and those DBs, and can't be considered "great".)  So I'll be disappointed if we don't.

Just like the last 2 years, I'm still proud of them if they get to the cup and lose.  A loss always sucks, but to get there is always a huge accomplishment, and it'll be an epic one if this 2-6 starting team achieves it!  That said... I think they don't lose a 3rd one...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: BBRT on October 16, 2024, 07:06:36 PMMy take on this along with what is needed to make it to the cup is to somehow improve the OL especailly the middle. I think our guards and center are the weakest part of the team at the moment. I am not sure what can take place but whenI look at what strong DL teams do they seem to be able to overpower our center and two guards.

This needs to be addressed in the off-season.  It has directly cost us many games this season because the trickle of "downgrades" year after year since 2019 has finally resulted in a line that clearly isn't good enough.  Not enough to be dominant like '21 or '22.

And yet the other top teams (except maybe SSK) clearly have kept improving their OLs into ones that are top tier and don't let many guys through.  The difference is striking.

If we can't draft a week-1 starter round-1 top hoggie (and it may be hard given we may win the GC this year!), then what's the plan?  KW needs a plan.  Do we get a splash $$ NAT FA, which is completely against our philosophy?  What about sniping a mid-priced top-tier IMP G and change our ratio?  Or is Randolph already that guy?

If somehow the middling unit we have now can get us to, and win, a cup, then I guess we'll have to reevaluate the situation and then pray we don't lose one of them to FA!  But until then, we can criticize an OL that can't hold a candle to ones of our past.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: gobombersgo on October 16, 2024, 11:39:12 PMSome Bomber transactions today:

2024-10-16   WPG 

I've been speculating that if Woli was healthy, then Wietz would come off the AR. This isn't a guarantee that will be the case but does open up that roster spot in theory. That said, so does moving Charbonneau to the PR. It's also possible that Samson or Hubert get added back?

It's no surprise that McGhuee gets bumped back to the PR. His spot may have opened up the ratio on the AR to add Randolph.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: dd on October 17, 2024, 04:10:09 AMHopefully he does as our O line was dreadful last game. People are saying we came out flat, no, we just lost the battle at the line of scrimmage terribly and couldn't get anything going. Hopefully things change with Randolph in the lineup

I would have liked to see what their PFF was for the first half because it looked terrible after two quarters but overall it wasn't as poor an outing as it seemed.

From PFF:

This week was a struggle for the Blue Bombers compared to their recent play, but they remained a positive factor overall. This unit earned grades of 64.3 overall, 62.3 run-blocking and 63.3 pass-blocking. Simply put, Winnipeg cannot maintain its top-three spot due to a mediocre week and a stellar week for the Elks.

Neufeld (81.6), Bryant (75.2) and Lofton (72.1) all recorded excellent pass protection games, finishing with a pass-blocking grade above 72.0 across 41 pass reps.

Compare that to the Argos offensive line which has been rated tops most of the year and the best offensive line of the week:

It was a solid week for the Argonauts' offensive line. This group earned grades of 68.5 overall, 64.9 run-blocking and 80.7 pass-blocking.

Pete

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 17, 2024, 09:45:19 AMThis needs to be addressed in the off-season.  It has directly cost us many games this season because the trickle of "downgrades" year after year since 2019 has finally resulted in a line that clearly isn't good enough.  Not enough to be dominant like '21 or '22.

And yet the other top teams (except maybe SSK) clearly have kept improving their OLs into ones that are top tier and don't let many guys through.  The difference is striking.

If we can't draft a week-1 starter round-1 top hoggie (and it may be hard given we may win the GC this year!), then what's the plan?  KW needs a plan.  Do we get a splash $$ NAT FA, which is completely against our philosophy?  What about sniping a mid-priced top-tier IMP G and change our ratio?  Or is Randolph already that guy?

If somehow the middling unit we have now can get us to, and win, a cup, then I guess we'll have to reevaluate the situation and then pray we don't lose one of them to FA!  But until then, we can criticize an OL that can't hold a candle to ones of our past.
I was thinking also that Zach's performance has been really affected. Its not that the Oline is bad, its just average now. Zac has been so used to having the extra time to make those mid to deep passes that its a major adjustment to get the ball out quicker. Harris is the master of this. I also think BLM had to make a similar adjustment to get back his game to a high level.
Buck also needs to adjust
Getting top tier oline is expensive but we may need to sacrifice a receiver salary to do so

theaardvark

Toronto had stacked DL for the game against up, and rotated fresh bodies in. 

Having an extra extra Olineman will allow us to use heavier jumbo packages rather than just one Oline and a FB. And potentially beefing up the interior if/when needed. 

We have WR's that can gain separation, and can win 50/50 balls.  Giving extra protection at the loss of a target is not an unwise option.

How are Randolph's hands?  Is he a potential tight end?  Do we have a short yardage Fridge package?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on October 17, 2024, 04:15:19 PMToronto had stacked DL for the game against up, and rotated fresh bodies in. 

Having an extra extra Olineman will allow us to use heavier jumbo packages rather than just one Oline and a FB. And potentially beefing up the interior if/when needed. 

We have WR's that can gain separation, and can win 50/50 balls.  Giving extra protection at the loss of a target is not an unwise option.

How are Randolph's hands?  Is he a potential tight end?  Do we have a short yardage Fridge package?

In games like that Buck needs to adjust the receiver routes, they can't have 3 receivers running mid-deeper routes when Zach doesn't have time to wait for them to make their move and get open. Lucky could play a huge role as a secondary relief valve running slants across the middle on every play.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 17, 2024, 02:06:27 PMCompare that to the Argos offensive line which has been rated tops most of the year and the best offensive line of the week:

It was a solid week for the Argonauts' offensive line. This group earned grades of 68.5 overall, 64.9 run-blocking and 80.7 pass-blocking.

How did TOR get such a good OL?  Is it FA splash?  Are they good/lucky in DP?  Scouted some good IMPs?  What's the secret sauce?

Just a few years ago TOR was horrifically bad, bottom of the league, with a garbage OL.  What did they do to fix it?

I'll take some of whatever they've been doing, please!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on October 17, 2024, 04:15:19 PMHow are Randolph's hands?  Is he a potential tight end?  Do we have a short yardage Fridge package?

I think Randolph showed in his couple of games starting at RG that he was probably better than Neuf and/or Dobson.  I think Randolph should be a starting G and one of the other guys gets demoted to 6th.   Yes, even if that's Neuf.

Randolph was like Bond: he came in and instantly we were better.  At everything.

Winning is more important than OL loyalty at this point.  And whoever gets demoted, they can still be the 6th and on AR for the GC and get their name on the cup.  It's not like they are benched or cut.

Heck, we may be getting near the end of Neuf's career anyhow.  He gets dinged up regularly now and is beat about as much as the much younger 2 guys to his left.  Not good enough at that pay level.

We also need to (next season) scout or FA a much better RT too.  Lofton has been good (better than my PS guestimation), but not always great.  (If this unit without changes makes the cup, I'll take all that back.)
Never go full Rider!