Winnipeg @ Montreal pre-game discussion.

Started by Pigskin, October 13, 2024, 07:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stats Junkie

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 22, 2024, 08:20:04 PMGood chance to get another look at Fox and decide if they should bring him back next season or not as I believe his contract is up.  CFL.ca has no statistics on him but I believe this is his 3rd season in the league and he's only played in a handful of games so far. He's getting that Stove vibe without the output.
There is a 'Stats' tab for the Miles Fox profile (Click for Profile)

Fox has 7 defensive tackles & 1 sack in 7 games.

The CFL profile only credits him with 6 games played - this is a Genius issue. Under the 'Game Log' for 2022 there are 3 games listed but he is only credited with 2 games played (Error).

For historical stats (2022 and older), Genius uses the American method of crediting a player with a game played. In American football, a player in uniform has to participate in at least one play to get credit for a game played. All players with a recorded stat are automatically credited with a game played. Any remaining players who saw the field have to be manually credited after the conclusion of the game. The big issue in US College football is some teams have 100+ players and multiple players wearing the same number. The backups often do not get credit with playing a game due to confusion of identifying these players.

In Canadian football, a player on the active roster is automatically credited with a game played whether he see the field or not. In fact, players on the AR but are away from the team for personal reasons also get credit with a game played. Players for 2023 & 2024 do have the correct games played credited because all data was entered using the Genius stats system.

Genius is testing chipped jerseys in the NCAA this season for player tracking purposes and they hope to apply this technology in the CFL next season.
TwiXter: @Stats_Junkie

I am a Stats Junkie, a Rules Junkie & a Canadian Football History Junkie!

J5V

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 22, 2024, 03:42:12 PMThe Als aren't going to lie down and just give us the game. If we want to win, we'll have to play a good to great playoff style game.
A slobberknocker! LOL!
Go Bombers!

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 22, 2024, 09:10:47 AMHere's something to chew on: MTL can go a long way to choosing who they face in the GC by trying or not trying in the WPG@MTL game.  If I'm Maas and their braintrust, I'm giving this massive thought.

So who would MTL rather face in the GC?  WPG or SSK?  Who does MTL think they match up better against?  Who do they think would be a tougher outing?

My opinion is MTL matches up better against WPG.  Their pass D is basically designed to negate a Zach/Buck mid-mostly + short/deep mix game.  However, their run D will be challenged to keep Brady in check.

On the other hand, SSK is a 95% dink & dunk O, which is much harder for a MTL-style D to defend.  Trevor won't throw up the mids & deeps that allow MTL to get the INTs.  Plus, some people (not me) may think Oullette is nearly as good as Brady.

So all else being equal, I think MTL prefers to face Zach than Trevor.  The WPG&SSK Ds are very different, but somewhat equal in overall effect.  SSK is more dependent on takeaways, but that capability may scare MTL because Cody chucks mids quite a bit and isn't the most accurate.

So bottom line: if I'm right, they'll happily let us win this one.  If I'm wrong, they may play it as hard as the EDF.

Their depth chart may be a hint as to how badly they want to beat us, or not.

Montreal better get its crap together and quick or they aren't getting by Toronto in the playoffs. Toronto is getting better every week since Kelly came back and I think they knock the Als off in the players. That said, they'll go all out to get their A game going against us and once they do, We'll see how long Fajardo stays in the game. But I don't see them just rolling over, as next week is a bye so CJ has to get things going with the offense.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on October 22, 2024, 10:31:39 AMThey've already beaten the Argos?

If they're playing chess, they have to be thinking many moves ahead.  The "what if we lose to TOR" path is irrelevant because if they do, nothing else matters no matter what they plan for.

Quote from: Waffler on October 22, 2024, 10:31:39 AMSomething to ponder but if they are thinking about anything other than Toronto, they have already lost. I am sure Toronto has not forgotten last year and is coming in to Montreal to prove a point or two.

I disagree.  "1 and O each week" is for the players.  The coaches/Mafia preach it, but if the top brains (MOS, Buck, Younger) aren't thinking ahead at all, then they are at a disadvantage.  Especially in situations like this where you can directly impact one of your upcoming games.

Who wouldn't want to be able to pick their future opponent??  You think if Mafia had the choice like this they wouldn't choose to face CGY in the WDF instead of SSK?  If you can make that reality just by losing a meaningless game (i.e. start as many PR players as you can and/or make Campbell/Dickenson-level in-game decisions), of course you'd do it!

The only fly in the ointment is: MTL may not be able to decide who they'd rather face in the GC!  Both WPG and SSK present challenges and neither would be an "easy out".
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stats Junkie on October 22, 2024, 10:03:48 PMGenius is testing chipped jerseys in the NCAA this season for player tracking purposes and they hope to apply this technology in the CFL next season.

As long as those chips don't make players fly off in random and erratic directions!
Never go full Rider!

Mick

The betting line just shot up to -6.5 for WPG, from -3.5 yesterday. This could be a sign of something coming out of MTL practice as this is their first day of practice, this could indicate a lot of starters sitting out of practice.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 23, 2024, 08:55:13 AMIf they're playing chess, they have to be thinking many moves ahead.  The "what if we lose to TOR" path is irrelevant because if they do, nothing else matters no matter what they plan for.

I disagree.  "1 and O each week" is for the players.  The coaches/Mafia preach it, but if the top brains (MOS, Buck, Younger) aren't thinking ahead at all, then they are at a disadvantage.  Especially in situations like this where you can directly impact one of your upcoming games.

Who wouldn't want to be able to pick their future opponent??  You think if Mafia had the choice like this they wouldn't choose to face CGY in the WDF instead of SSK?  If you can make that reality just by losing a meaningless game (i.e. start as many PR players as you can and/or make Campbell/Dickenson-level in-game decisions), of course you'd do it!

The only fly in the ointment is: MTL may not be able to decide who they'd rather face in the GC!  Both WPG and SSK present challenges and neither would be an "easy out".

I think you are underestimating how much prep work coaches do before each game.
My wife is amazing!

Mick

Bombers Injury Report

https://ibb.co/Zxc6QCH

bwiser

That is a promising injury report.It sounds like we will have  most of our players available this week. Alexander is still questionable but could be ready for the Western Conference Final

Mick

Blue In BC

2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

This screams the Bombers to go Brady Ball full on!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!