Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2024/2025 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 05, 2024, 04:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

With a new season approaching for the Winnipeg Jets, please use this thread to discuss Jets topics.  Threads for previous years will be retired (Archived) on September 12, 2024.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Pigskin

Jets open camp tomorrow, and still no contract for CP91.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

DCM

@mikemcintyrewpg
Ville Heinola has an infection in his ankle. "This isn't good," says #NHLJets coach Scott Arniel. Says it's far more than day to day.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

Pigskin

Quote from: DCM on September 20, 2024, 11:08:44 PM@mikemcintyrewpg
Ville Heinola has an infection in his ankle. "This isn't good," says #NHLJets coach Scott Arniel. Says it's far more than day to day.

Ville just can't catch a break.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pigskin on September 20, 2024, 11:27:44 PMVille just can't catch a break.

Such lousy news. I was really hoping he'd crack the opening day roster this season.

Sounds like the team is pretty high on Lambert. Could be the 2C prospect the team needs.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

theaardvark

What is Perfetti doing?  Does his agent know how time off the ice affects his future? The above post illustrates that his potential to break camp as the #2 C is more in jeopardy every passing hour. I really, really like the kid, and think he's going to be a good player, but in the NHL, you have to pay your dues and earn your deal.

He is RFA, he hasn't had a full healthy season to date, his number have been m'eh, but his opportunity to prove himself is only going to come if he plays.

They gave him $1.65mil/year for 3 years, and got 145 games and 75 points for it.  So while we all know there is potential there, he hasn't realized it.

If he's looking for a long term deal over $5mil, he's deluded.  He deserves a one or two year $3mil deal and a chance to earn a big contract.  The 24-25 Jets are going to be a feast day for young players, and he's got a chance to shine.

The only reason to hold out is if he thinks he can't compete or thinks he will get injured. Otherwise, take any deal, get on the ice, and make a name.

The reality of the NHL.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Perfetti hasn't shown he's capable of the 2C role. That said, he can still fill a vital role as a depth piece, IMO.

But him sitting out TC with these prolonged contract talks will not help his cause. I can't say I understand what he or his agent is thinking.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/rfa-lowdown-facts-stats-and-circumstances-facing-swayman-perfetti-and-alexandrov

QuoteThe 22-year-old generated 19 goals and 38 points in 71 games last season, and the Jets have $5.77 million in cap space to bring him on board for 2024-25. Perfetti struggled later in the season, so he doesn't have the kind of leverage Swayman has in Boston. But a deal similar to what New Jersey just gave youngster Dawson Mercer – $4-million per season, for the next three years – could be enough to get a deal done for Perfetti.

Seems reasonable.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

theaardvark

Mercer played 82 games a season, every season.  With 20+ goals in the last two. 

$4mil is too much, sorry.  That's what Neiderieter and Iaffalo make.  More than Valardi and Lowry.  Twice what Appleton makes.

2 years at $3.2 mil sure.  Give both sides a chance to see what he's really worth.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on September 23, 2024, 04:24:14 PMMercer played 82 games a season, every season.  With 20+ goals in the last two. 

$4mil is too much, sorry.  That's what Neiderieter and Iaffalo make.  More than Valardi and Lowry.  Twice what Appleton makes.

2 years at $3.2 mil sure.  Give both sides a chance to see what he's really worth.

Perfetti's younger than all of them (some by a considerable margin) and is expected to have a higher ceiling, so I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with those comparisons. And consider the cap has gone up since those other contracts were tendered.

The comparison to Mercer's deal is likely a starting point; that doesn't mean he'll get $4M AAV.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

theaardvark

Yes, he's younger. With a high ceiling, but as of yet unproven.  And often injured.

Giving him $3.2 would be paying him a premium on what he delivers, for the opportunity of the future, which they already have the rights to.

He got paid over what most get on their ELC's for that potential already...

Pigskin

$1.65M was with performance bonus. I don't think Cole ever received those PBs. His total NHL earning to date, $2.775 M. Which ends up to be $925K per.

I would be okay at $3M x 2 years. Other wise move him.

blue_gold_84

I think the often unfortunate reality for this organization - and market - is that it has to pay a premium to retain talent.

It's just the business of the sport, as disagreeable as I find it at times.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Pigskin

CP91 signs a 2 years, $6.5 M. Now, he has to go out and prove he's worth $3.25 per. 

theaardvark

Quote from: theaardvark on September 23, 2024, 05:20:35 PMYes, he's younger. With a high ceiling, but as of yet unproven.  And often injured.

Giving him $3.2 would be paying him a premium on what he delivers, for the opportunity of the future, which they already have the rights to.

He got paid over what most get on their ELC's for that potential already...

Hmmm... I guess they gave him an extra $50k/yr just to make me wrong.