BLUE BOMBERS ADD DEFENSIVE BACK AARON GRYMES TO PRACTICE ROSTER - NOW RELEASED

Started by Blueforlife, July 23, 2024, 02:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBURGESS

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 30, 2024, 06:22:42 AMNot if they're vets with guaranteed '25 money they won't!!
Are Neuf, Alexander, & Biggie guaranteed '25 money? Will any of them play next year anyway?
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TBURGESS on July 30, 2024, 02:28:30 PMAre Neuf, Alexander, & Biggie guaranteed '25 money? Will any of them play next year anyway?

All three of them have deals expiring at the end of this year.

TBURGESS

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on July 29, 2024, 07:37:04 PMYou're looking through a very narrow scope.

Why are we playing so many rookies? Why do we not have players who have been depth and are now growing into their starter roles as Hardrick, and Jeffcoat leave? The injuries are ridiculous, but planning for player succession is something people have been bringing up for 2-3 years now.

Look at the IR.  That's where our replacements are.  That's why "so many rookies".

You CANNOT roster vet backups,  The $SMS does not allow for competent vet backups on a roster.  Backups are ALWAYS ELC's or developing NATS.

Most teams (including us) usually have to field a few "backups" due to injury.  12 players, including 7 starters on the 6 game.  Hence, "so many rookies".

And its not like there is a pantry full of competent veteran starter material players waiting to be signed.

Hence, need I say it again, "so many rookies".
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on July 30, 2024, 03:56:29 PMLook at the IR.  That's where our replacements are.  That's why "so many rookies".

You CANNOT roster vet backups,  The $SMS does not allow for competent vet backups on a roster.  Backups are ALWAYS ELC's or developing NATS.

Most teams (including us) usually have to field a few "backups" due to injury.  12 players, including 7 starters on the 6 game.  Hence, "so many rookies".

And its not like there is a pantry full of competent veteran starter material players waiting to be signed.

Hence, need I say it again, "so many rookies".

Injuries are part of the problem but not the only (or even biggest one). There's not the single rookie on the offensive line, actually the guy with the least experience is playing the best, and that unit is LAST in sacks allowed, for example.

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 30, 2024, 04:02:38 PMInjuries are part of the problem but not the only (or even biggest one). There's not the single rookie on the offensive line, actually the guy with the least experience is playing the best, and that unit is LAST in sacks allowed, for example.

Sacks allowed is not 100% on the oline.  There are "coverage sacks" and there are blitzes where the oline doesn't have a chance.  5 guys can make perfect blocks, and if they rush a 6th and the RB misses him, sack.

Sacks can also happen when a QB is having an issue with confidence, and holds on too long.

Not saying there haven't been sacks on Oline whiffs, but not all of them have been the oline's fault.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on July 30, 2024, 04:18:29 PMSacks allowed is not 100% on the oline.  There are "coverage sacks" and there are blitzes where the oline doesn't have a chance.  5 guys can make perfect blocks, and if they rush a 6th and the RB misses him, sack.

Sacks can also happen when a QB is having an issue with confidence, and holds on too long.

Not saying there haven't been sacks on Oline whiffs, but not all of them have been the oline's fault.

From the Toronto game:

Zach Collaros dropped back to pass 37 times and Chris Streveler had one passing attempt. Of those 38 dropbacks, they were hurried nine times, hit five times, knocked down three times, and sacked five times.

When Toronto only sent a three or four-man rush, which they did on 21 occasions, those non-blitz rushes led to four hurries, one hit, two knockdowns, and an unforgivable four sacks.

...Sounds like great offensive line play to me!

The Zipp

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 30, 2024, 04:23:06 PMFrom the Toronto game:

Zach Collaros dropped back to pass 37 times and Chris Streveler had one passing attempt. Of those 38 dropbacks, they were hurried nine times, hit five times, knocked down three times, and sacked five times.

When Toronto only sent a three or four-man rush, which they did on 21 occasions, those non-blitz rushes led to four hurries, one hit, two knockdowns, and an unforgivable four sacks.

...Sounds like great offensive line play to me!

sub par at best...I do think TO has a very good defence - better than BC's IMO, so perhaps we will get a reprieve for our porous O-line this week.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 30, 2024, 04:23:06 PM...Sounds like great offensive line play to me!

Nearly positive he was being sarcastic... Those details, basically what I outlined on my rewatch, are atrociously bad and completely unacceptable in the CFL.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on July 30, 2024, 04:18:29 PMSacks allowed is not 100% on the oline.  There are "coverage sacks" and there are blitzes where the oline doesn't have a chance.  5 guys can make perfect blocks, and if they rush a 6th and the RB misses him, sack.

Ya, an every single coverage sack where the QB has >3 sec could be avoided by channeling the inner Matt Nichols and chucking it into the stands.  Nichols wasn't wrong about everything, ya know.
Never go full Rider!

BlueInCgy

You know it's bad when the virtues of Matt Nichols are extolled...

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: BlueInCgy on July 31, 2024, 11:56:13 AMYou know it's bad when the virtues of Matt Nichols are extolled...

Matt Nichols was a great QB, no besmirching allowed!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: BlueInCgy on July 31, 2024, 11:56:13 AMYou know it's bad when the virtues of Matt Nichols are extolled...

TIL being a consistently competent QB qualifies as virtuous.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Blue In BC

We've taken off two rookie DB's from the last game. BC is primarily a passing team. To that end I could see Grymes being added onto the AR.

At the moment, based on the transactions yesterday we have room for 1 more import. Another possibility due to injuries to Canadian LB's is that we add Karamoko as the 2nd Global player in lieu of a Canadian moving to IR.

Part of the real question is about how long are the new injuries going to be out if they move to IR? Two LB's and Woli are the " questionable " players.

OTOH, the good news is that we haven't heard they were moved to 6 game IR. YET. Maybe they can play
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 31, 2024, 01:43:34 PMWe've taken off two rookie DB's from the last game. BC is primarily a passing team. To that end I could see Grymes being added onto the AR.

At the moment, based on the transactions yesterday we have room for 1 more import. Another possibility due to injuries to Canadian LB's is that we add Karamoko as the 2nd Global player in lieu of a Canadian moving to IR.

Part of the real question is about how long are the new injuries going to be out if they move to IR? Two LB's and Woli are the " questionable " players.

OTOH, the good news is that we haven't heard they were moved to 6 game IR. YET. Maybe they can play

We had a lot of DBs on the roster last week for some reason. Normally we have Hallet one one extra DB. Last week it was 2 Hallets and 2 extra DBs.

Had to balance that out.
My wife is amazing!