BLUE BOMBERS ADD DEFENSIVE BACK AARON GRYMES TO PRACTICE ROSTER - NOW RELEASED

Started by Blueforlife, July 23, 2024, 02:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: dd on July 27, 2024, 10:18:47 PMYa, but the other 7 teams didn't have an aging, slow, oft injured MLB in their lineup.

How many had 3x GC winner, 3x MODP, 6x CFL all star and future HOF MLB in thier lineups?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

dd

Quote from: theaardvark on July 27, 2024, 10:22:09 PMHow many had 3x GC winner, 3x MODP, 6x CFL all star and future HOF MLB in thier lineups?
So wouldn't bring Sankey in today if you could?? Nuff said.

theaardvark

Quote from: dd on July 27, 2024, 10:28:18 PMSo wouldn't bring Sankey in today if you could?? Nuff said.

If we had the $SMS, sure.  No brainer, especially with Wilson on the 6 game.

At that moment in time, we couldn't if we wanted to, no $SMS.  We went over that year as it was.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on July 27, 2024, 10:28:18 PMSo wouldn't bring Sankey in today if you could?? Nuff said.

I'm not sold on Sankey, never was.  I'm not sure he's a FIFO guy.  I'm not sure he's a MOS guy.  MLB is more than just physical talent, especially for our team.

Biggie is the team leader and the vet of vets.  He's the guy a C doing the coin toss every game.  You don't just dump such a player for Mr. Bruiser Of The Week.

I think what will happen is Biggie will tell us when Biggie feels he's harming the team more than helping, and on that day he'll hang up the cleats.  Biggie won't prolong things just to get a paycheck.  That's not who he is.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 29, 2024, 09:30:20 AMI'm not sold on Sankey, never was.  I'm not sure he's a FIFO guy.  I'm not sure he's a MOS guy.  MLB is more than just physical talent, especially for our team.

Biggie is the team leader and the vet of vets.  He's the guy a C doing the coin toss every game.  You don't just dump such a player for Mr. Bruiser Of The Week.

I think what will happen is Biggie will tell us when Biggie feels he's harming the team more than helping, and on that day he'll hang up the cleats.  Biggie won't prolong things just to get a paycheck.  That's not who he is.

I agree, O'Shea is not going to just dump Biggie off on the side of the road, I think the criticism has gotten carried away as Defence is not as serious an issue on this team as some are making it out to be and Biggie is playing adequately well.

Bighill made a total commitment to the Bombers and the city and should be acknowledged as a key player in bringing the GC back to Wpg. along with Harris and Collaros. Don't know if he has a job in the organization when he retires but he might be best suited to replace Wade if he ever wishes to step away from his role as President.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 29, 2024, 09:30:20 AMI'm not sold on Sankey, never was.  I'm not sure he's a FIFO guy.  I'm not sure he's a MOS guy.  MLB is more than just physical talent, especially for our team.

I am not arguing for Sankey but I want to address the 'Not O'Shea's guy mentality'.

The entire point of having a great culture IS that it brings together players. Occasionally you've got to cut ties for sure, but culture building is done preciously so you get the most from everyone, even players who are harder to coach. That's at least half of O'Shea's job. A great culture should INCREASE the number of players we can bring in while still being effective, not shrink it down. Particularly when we're 2-6.

DM83

Agreed with Sir Blue and Gold.
So there is something else wrong with this management group.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: DM83 on July 29, 2024, 04:22:15 PMAgreed with Sir Blue and Gold.
So there is something else wrong with this management group.

Why does there have to be 'something wrong' with the management group?

theaardvark

There is nothing "wrong" with a group that has gotten the team to 4 straight cups after 29 years of failure. 

Teams can have off years, the league balances itself with the $SMS, teams that have success thanks to great scouting and recruitement/development tend to get penalized by not being able to keep all those players that made them great because $SMS.

We haven't had a great a recruiting crop manifest yet this year, and have a crap ton of injuries testing that depth too early too often.

Management group is doing great.  Coaches are working with what they have, and every coach, regardless record or results, is going to Monday Morning QB'd.  Its just a lot easier to do when the results are not going your way.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on July 29, 2024, 04:53:03 PMThere is nothing "wrong" with a group that has gotten the team to 4 straight cups after 29 years of failure. 

Teams can have off years, the league balances itself with the $SMS, teams that have success thanks to great scouting and recruitement/development tend to get penalized by not being able to keep all those players that made them great because $SMS.

We haven't had a great a recruiting crop manifest yet this year, and have a crap ton of injuries testing that depth too early too often.

Management group is doing great.  Coaches are working with what they have, and every coach, regardless record or results, is going to Monday Morning QB'd.  Its just a lot easier to do when the results are not going your way.

I think you're leaning a little too hard in the opposite direction, here. The Bombers aren't infallible, they can and do make mistakes that don't always need the benefit of hindsight to recognize.

I'm fine with the decision to ride this group until the wheels fell off, but there were certainly some things they could have done to mitigate some of our loses and the lack of depth is high on that list.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on July 29, 2024, 05:05:02 PMI think you're leaning a little too hard in the opposite direction, here. The Bombers aren't infallible, they can and do make mistakes that don't always need the benefit of hindsight to recognize.

I'm fine with the decision to ride this group until the wheels fell off, but there were certainly some things they could have done to mitigate some of our loses and the lack of depth is high on that list.

Lack of depth.

We almost won a game, on the road, against a top contender, giving up a 5-1 turnover ratio.  And we went to OT where our money kicker missed one.

All while we have 12 players on the 6 game, including 7 players penciled in to start before the season.

So, we're 12 players (7 starters) into our "depth" and we still almost won a road game where the officials made it very difficult for us.

"Depth" I think is the least of our issues, in a reasonable year.  This year has been totally unreasonable.  Losing your top 2 recievers for extended periods, your starting DT's and a DE, starting CB..

Not sure within roster size and $SMS rules that they could have done better... 

Nic16

I am completely puzzled why they would bring in a 33 yr old DB - who has been out of football for 2 yrs and showed up with a knee brace strapped on his leg.

We already have 3 backup DB's, and not one American DE on the PR!?!

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on July 29, 2024, 07:23:08 PMLack of depth.

We almost won a game, on the road, against a top contender, giving up a 5-1 turnover ratio.  And we went to OT where our money kicker missed one.

All while we have 12 players on the 6 game, including 7 players penciled in to start before the season.

So, we're 12 players (7 starters) into our "depth" and we still almost won a road game where the officials made it very difficult for us.

"Depth" I think is the least of our issues, in a reasonable year.  This year has been totally unreasonable.  Losing your top 2 recievers for extended periods, your starting DT's and a DE, starting CB..

Not sure within roster size and $SMS rules that they could have done better... 

You're looking through a very narrow scope.

Why are we playing so many rookies? Why do we not have players who have been depth and are now growing into their starter roles as Hardrick, and Jeffcoat leave? The injuries are ridiculous, but planning for player succession is something people have been bringing up for 2-3 years now.
My wife is amazing!

TBURGESS

MOS needs to find his inner Wally and cut a couple of old guys who won't be here next year.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TBURGESS on July 29, 2024, 07:51:39 PMMOS needs to find his inner Wally and cut a couple of old guys who won't be here next year.

Not if they're vets with guaranteed '25 money they won't!!
Never go full Rider!