BLUE BOMBERS ADD DEFENSIVE BACK AARON GRYMES TO PRACTICE ROSTER - NOW RELEASED

Started by Blueforlife, July 23, 2024, 02:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

Quote from: Waffler on July 24, 2024, 09:05:38 PMI had my doubts about Grymes too but watching him in practice today I have to say he looked great. Wearing a giant knee brace but didn't seem to hinder his speed or reaction time at all. Ironically Alexander wears a smaller brace now, just the elastic kind I believe, and he was walking pretty tender on that side at times. How is he supposed to run?

Kind of sad when our 2 insurance players (Lucky the other) are better than what we are starting.
Grymes will be an asset for sure. If Alexander is out, I'd be inserting him into the lineup for sure. He's a vet and can help lead things out there, plus he's a very fast and physical player from what I remember. We need more of those!!

Blue In BC

Quote from: dd on July 24, 2024, 10:30:53 PMGrymes will be an asset for sure. If Alexander is out, I'd be inserting him into the lineup for sure. He's a vet and can help lead things out there, plus he's a very fast and physical player from what I remember. We need more of those!!

That's a lot to ask for a player that hasn't played in over 2 years and only had 2 practices.

Alexander did practice today so he'll probably play.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

Quote from: theaardvark on July 24, 2024, 09:31:38 PMYou realize that Lawler, Schoen and Oliveira are some of the highest paid players in the league, right?  And Zach is the highest paid.  And we have Willie and Biggie too?

We do not have money... except what little savings we might be getting from the 6 game.
Agree, lots of fake news floating around

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on July 24, 2024, 09:31:38 PMYou realize that Lawler, Schoen and Oliveira are some of the highest paid players in the league, right?  And Zach is the highest paid.  And we have Willie and Biggie too?

We do not have money... except what little savings we might be getting from the 6 game.

No one available to bring in right now is coming in at a high price. The salary cap is pretty close to irrelevant right now.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on July 25, 2024, 12:40:37 AMNo one available to bring in right now is coming in at a high price. The salary cap is pretty close to irrelevant right now.

It's not irrelevant at all. Grey Cup in Winnipeg next year and we're going to likely be reloading in the off season. The more we can save the better. I hope we use IR money to front load some contracts prior to fee agency.

winbear

Quote from: Jesse on July 25, 2024, 12:40:37 AMNo one available to bring in right now is coming in at a high price. The salary cap is pretty close to irrelevant right now.
Because of the injuries we may be under the salary cap, however we still have to pay all the players on the roster, the injury list and the practice roster.  Where does that money come from, general revenue?  You can exempt injury costs, but the players still have to be paid.

Blueforlife

Disagree
Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 25, 2024, 12:56:39 AMIt's not irrelevant at all. Grey Cup in Winnipeg next year and we're going to likely be reloading in the off season. The more we can save the better. I hope we use IR money to front load some contracts prior to fee agency.
Agree

TecnoGenius

Quote from: winbear on July 25, 2024, 01:08:53 AMWhere does that money come from, general revenue?  You can exempt injury costs, but the players still have to be paid.

No one in WFC cares about "real" money for players.  It's all about the SMS.  We're the most-flush $$$ team in the CFL.  If there was no SMS we'd pull a Rocket Ishmael!!

When talking about money, to keep it simple, only talk in SMS terms, IMHO.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Yup.  If you want to see where most of our SMS is, look in the hot tub.  In there you will find Scrooge McDuck swimming in dollar bills along with half our elite players.

KW spelled it out in TC: there. is. no. (sms.) money.  None.  (Just a tiny bit now because of 6GIR, but not as much as we "deserve", because of bonuses...)
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TBURGESS on July 24, 2024, 02:59:32 PMMOS seems to think that our problem is not enough old vets way past their prime.

Ok, I'll revise my MOS quote:

MOS: I won't be satisfied until we start 18 Canadians and 6 players over 35!  Bwwwaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaa

(allegedly)
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: DM83 on July 24, 2024, 08:53:38 PMThe Bombers have to have a ton of money available to sign guys

[CITATION NOT FOUND]
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Blue In BC

We're probably saving some SMS on 6 game IR but a lot of the players on the list are ELC guys. Hard to tell how much we're saving with Lawler, Schoen and Lawson due to early money.

OTOH, we've been lucky with very few players on the 1 game. A few but ELC guys for short periods so far.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bluebeard

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 25, 2024, 06:51:16 AMNo one in WFC cares about "real" money for players.  It's all about the SMS.  We're the most-flush $$$ team in the CFL.  If there was no SMS we'd pull a Rocket Ishmael!!

When talking about money, to keep it simple, only talk in SMS terms, IMHO.

It does not take long to burn threw money if the team starts losing.  Look at Sask and Edmonton.  Elks have to sell to private concerns.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TBURGESS on July 24, 2024, 02:59:32 PMMOS seems to think that our problem is not enough old vets way past their prime.

I guess they shouldn't have parted ways with Nick Taylor, amazing athlete. he'd still be productive at 36.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 26, 2024, 04:25:15 AMI guess they shouldn't have parted ways with Nick Taylor, amazing athlete. he'd still be productive at 36.

I wonder how many posts Tburg has saying we should have signed Sankey, Bowman, etc?
My wife is amazing!