Bighill done

Started by DM83, June 23, 2024, 03:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on June 24, 2024, 02:42:10 AMWell leadership might be needed for a DC has to create man to man. Every play with DBs, with ten yard cushions.

Our DB corps is so bad right now I think we have to go back to 2015-2016 schemes where we play near-exclusively zone D.  Hall always said when your talent isn't good enough for man, you can't play man.  Ya, well, that's us now.

The zone-mostly of back then worked well to generate turnovers, as zone is apt to do, at the expense of always leaving some soft spots open for long drives.  It won't win you many games, but maybe we can at least stop the explosions and give ourselves something to build off of.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

Hey I don't want Bighill to be done.  But he is called a linebacker. if you watch him he is not filling the hole.  On one of BCs touchdowns he stepped to the wrong side, tried to recover and never. Touched the tb. Unfortunately Stanback scampered the opposite off tackle untouched.

Since last year they had him matched up and the guy who caught the ball just ran by him for aTDnCatch.

I guess some of you never played real football.  But putting  any LB in man coverage vs a skill position guy is really stupid in the first place but it happened last game with Krmdi, and another scary part was when it happened against Holm, and the trading camp less safety#37.

Coupled with an unbothered BC QB it was like men vs boys.

The defense is absolutely very bad.  But that is managements fault.  They have to se when guys can't or don't want to do it, and replace them.  That also falls on the scouts.  I asked the question previously, who did they bring in? That has made a play......I hear crickets.

I told my buddies, our  previous heroes, were not going to play at a CFL level. (Noticeable at the end of last year.). This team will not make the playoffs.  If either of the Rourke brothers becomes available, and as  soon as Kelly comes back, the Bombers better grab the guy playing QB or Kelly.

Other concerns

Schoen is now injury prone
Lawler certainly is not a quarter of what is paid
Collaros will be going down
Bighill best before date, has come. We need 10 more younger guys just like him
Willie will be taking almost all plays off, as he stands back and tries to block passes. He doesn't push the pocket, nor has anyone else they have brought in
Oliviera.
Neufeld should be getting tired
Stanley also an amazing freak to still be the best linemen in the league.

I had hoped two more years for the guys but.....simply put they ain't what they used to be

The Cup ain't won in summertime, but teams that start off 0-10 likely do not either.
And the Bombers were still only a few points away from a win.

But really, they were also not really in it. Now with four starting American receivers on the injury list, and no DBs worth anything, how long before the Oak Park boys are on the list.  Demski dropping the patented corner pattern kind of is/was symptomatic.  That was an awesome pattern for us.i guess he was exhausted. He was also caught by Sanky on the putt-putt sweep.

Jordan (is that his name? younger is not ready for Def coord duties. Ritchie get that DC cap on again. Anyone see Danny McMannis from last weeks Eskimo reunion.....has he left the....???? Does he. Have all those spring league names ready to come up here.

Please don't mention salary cap.  Either it should be raised, or ignored officially.
Once Lawler is off the list, I would expect him to be released. Just no value for the buck.

Tough start for the team
Can Calgary beat us.?  Sure don't think so! But....

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 23, 2024, 06:04:27 AMBiggie was making plays in week 1 & 2.
He didn't play in week one. Looked ok in 2. VA made everyone look bad in 3. But I still say that is on lack of pressure.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Waffler on June 24, 2024, 01:28:28 PMHe didn't play in week one. Looked ok in 2. VA made everyone look bad in 3. But I still say that is on lack of pressure.

This. Adams had it easy on Friday, and he picked apart the secondary all game.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Jesse

Quote from: Waffler on June 24, 2024, 01:28:28 PMHe didn't play in week one. Looked ok in 2. VA made everyone look bad in 3. But I still say that is on lack of pressure.

But bighill is a big part of the lack of pressure.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on June 24, 2024, 01:53:18 PMBut bighill is a big part of the lack of pressure.

We aren't getting pressure from any of the LB's. Bighill has been limited due to injury and just now getting back to form. I cut him a little slack for another game but he's lost a step.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

markf

Quote from: Jesse on June 24, 2024, 01:53:18 PMBut bighill is a big part of the lack of pressure.

I do not have stats for this, but watching Bighill over the years since he got here my impression is that he has not been effective rushing the passer.

at least, at actually getting to and bringing down the passer.

I hope / think that Ford will improve as the season progresses. Alexander doesnt seem to be much of a force anymore. injuries take a toll.

but some older players in key positions, is a bit of a problem.

just checked O'Shea played 16 seasons, which migh colour his thinking about aging vets.

Mike

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 24, 2024, 06:24:26 AMSankey probably costs $50k more than Biggie (or more!).  Forget about SMS situation last year, this season we simply could not afford Sankey.  Biggie is the best cap-friendly vet MLB, and continuously takes pay cuts to help the team and extend his career.

Sankey and Bighill have the exact same guaranteed money, Sankey can make up to 6k more for being an all-star but other than that their contracts earn them the same.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Mike on June 24, 2024, 03:04:23 PMSankey and Bighill have the exact same guaranteed money, Sankey can make up to 6k more for being an all-star but other than that their contracts earn them the same.

That's interesting. I wondered about that in 2023. I for one thought signing Sankey last year was a good idea. In theory I thought he could replace Clements as a DI and be available for multiple roles.

Some didn't agree and felt he was not a side to side LB and that was a deficiency. Whether was was / is true was only part of the issue. He wasn't going to replace Bighill so the SMS was not a direct issue. If the idea might have been replacing Clement then perhaps it was an issue.

Sankey may not have accepted a DI role but I never got the idea we made him an offer.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 24, 2024, 01:57:17 PMWe aren't getting pressure from any of the LB's. Bighill has been limited due to injury and just now getting back to form. I cut him a little slack for another game but he's lost a step.

Bighill is just one I notice who is being sent a lot.

We have a three-man front, he runs in and is stone-walled.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Tony Jones looks much faster then AB4 at practice. Nice size at 6'2" 235, closes very quick on the ball. Last season with EE, 41 DT, 11 ST, 1 Sack, and 1 FF. I think when he finally gets his chance, he will do very well. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blueforlife

Quote from: DM83 on June 24, 2024, 11:09:40 AMHey I don't want Bighill to be done.  But he is called a linebacker. if you watch him he is not filling the hole.  On one of BCs touchdowns he stepped to the wrong side, tried to recover and never. Touched the tb. Unfortunately Stanback scampered the opposite off tackle untouched.

Since last year they had him matched up and the guy who caught the ball just ran by him for aTDnCatch.

I guess some of you never played real football.  But putting  any LB in man coverage vs a skill position guy is really stupid in the first place but it happened last game with Krmdi, and another scary part was when it happened against Holm, and the trading camp less safety#37.

Coupled with an unbothered BC QB it was like men vs boys.

The defense is absolutely very bad.  But that is managements fault.  They have to se when guys can't or don't want to do it, and replace them.  That also falls on the scouts.  I asked the question previously, who did they bring in? That has made a play......I hear crickets.

I told my buddies, our  previous heroes, were not going to play at a CFL level. (Noticeable at the end of last year.). This team will not make the playoffs.  If either of the Rourke brothers becomes available, and as  soon as Kelly comes back, the Bombers better grab the guy playing QB or Kelly.

Other concerns

Schoen is now injury prone
Lawler certainly is not a quarter of what is paid
Collaros will be going down
Bighill best before date, has come. We need 10 more younger guys just like him
Willie will be taking almost all plays off, as he stands back and tries to block passes. He doesn't push the pocket, nor has anyone else they have brought in
Oliviera.
Neufeld should be getting tired
Stanley also an amazing freak to still be the best linemen in the league.

I had hoped two more years for the guys but.....simply put they ain't what they used to be

The Cup ain't won in summertime, but teams that start off 0-10 likely do not either.
And the Bombers were still only a few points away from a win.

But really, they were also not really in it. Now with four starting American receivers on the injury list, and no DBs worth anything, how long before the Oak Park boys are on the list.  Demski dropping the patented corner pattern kind of is/was symptomatic.  That was an awesome pattern for us.i guess he was exhausted. He was also caught by Sanky on the putt-putt sweep.

Jordan (is that his name? younger is not ready for Def coord duties. Ritchie get that DC cap on again. Anyone see Danny McMannis from last weeks Eskimo reunion.....has he left the....???? Does he. Have all those spring league names ready to come up here.

Please don't mention salary cap.  Either it should be raised, or ignored officially.
Once Lawler is off the list, I would expect him to be released. Just no value for the buck.

Tough start for the team
Can Calgary beat us.?  Sure don't think so! But....

Losing Schoen will hurt us bad.  I don't agree he is injury prone but has been nicked a bit yes.  Plays a physical game.
Zach won't be going down, suggesting that is a little much.  I do not support replacing Zach.
Willie is fine
Brady is fine and will heal
Jordon Younger is fine and Hall will help him.  Zero worries in this regard.  Will be growing pains.
Salary cap is a part of all sports and can't be ignored.
Kramdi is developing and will get beat from time to time, he will be ok and will continue to develop
Holm is rock solid
We need more from Alexander but I'm not worried about him
Quote from: Pigskin on June 24, 2024, 05:56:45 PMTony Jones looks much faster then AB4 at practice. Nice size at 6'2" 235, closes very quick on the ball. Last season with EE, 41 DT, 11 ST, 1 Sack, and 1 FF. I think when he finally gets his chance, he will do very well. 
Can you tell me more about him I know nothing.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: DM83 on June 24, 2024, 02:42:10 AMAre Bombers games televised? Does that Ford guy ever knock a pass down? How about our safety #37 how many plays does he make.

Well leadership might be needed for a DC has to create man to man. Every play with DBs, with ten yard cushions.Giving up five yard outs,  and for scouts who brought zero capable players to camp....yeah Bighill might be better than on the field.

We should start a poll when the first victory will be?

You do know that if you cover a reciever well, the QB tends to not throw their way?

M.O.A.B.

Hard for other/youngers guys to make the active roster when O'Shea is playing favorites on his near-expired-dates vets.

Waffler

After seeing practice today I am convinced that Bighill is not healthy. That said, he is working his tail off and I never saw a player doing so much work on his sprinting in a practice. I am willing to give him props for just willing to be on the field. He's not the only one either. Jefferson also is not full speed. I was watching him and every so often he will not limp but kind of hop, favoring a leg. Wheatfall I THINK is hamstring, he was there, no helmet and in long baggy sweats, so I didn't see any brace or bandage. He was walking ok but didn't run.

Overall this is the most beat up Blue Bomber team I've ever seen. The bench is full of bandaged guys, they almost need a second one.  They are working though it though and I think if we get guys back in time we will be in the hunt.

Other random thoughts:
Sorely missing Hardrick's joyful enthusiasm.
Zach seems to have his confidence shaken, sometimes himself other times beating himself up for missing one.
Strev never threw a pass but he ran a lot, not sure if he is 100% now either.
Sheahan must have showed every kick in his arsenal today, pretty cool to see. he had the returner running that is for sure.
Brady looked closer to last year's form than he has so far.
80 Wilson made the best catch I've seen from him so far. lovely.

Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers