Official Game Day Thread - BC at Winnipeg, June 21, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, June 20, 2024, 03:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Interesting factoid from Paul Friesen...

COACHING MILESTONE: O'Shea will coach his 161st Blue Bombers game Friday, surpassing the franchise's all-time record for games coached by the legendary Bud Grant.

Grant hold the franchise record for all-time wins with 102. O'Shea has 96 heading into Friday's game.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

ModAdmin

By now, most probably know Brady Oliviera is starting behind Johnny Augustine in the BC game and will be eased into the game.  Seems to make good sense following an injury that evidently took considerable time to heal.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 21, 2024, 05:34:16 AMOulettie is a poor man's Andrew Harris, he isn't near as good as A.H. was in his prime and he needs massive holes to run through, smashing and bashing won't gain him much. 

I noticed late in the Riders first game Yoshi was almost dragging one of his legs around.  I don't wish him anything but the best of luck in Regina but it looked like a chronic injury that might hasten the end of his career sooner than anticipated.

Teams have figured out that if you hit/tackle Oullette low, he topples like the top-heavy giant he is.  Just keep whacking him beneath the knees and he won't make it midway through the season.  That's what teams have been doing.  We should too.

As for Yoshi, I wish him all the best, but there is the curse of the superstars leaving WPG, like Nevis & Stove.  Barely played a snap again after leaving.  Even AH barely had any play time in TOR since leaving.  Back to Yoshi, he was nearing the end anyhow: who's to say this wouldn't have been his last season in blue & gold had he stayed?  Many here (not me) thought he was past his best-before date last season...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 21, 2024, 06:11:43 AMCOACHING MILESTONE: O'Shea will coach his 161st Blue Bombers game Friday, surpassing the franchise's all-time record for games coached by the legendary Bud Grant.

Grant hold the franchise record for all-time wins with 102. O'Shea has 96 heading into Friday's game.

Awesome!  Jumbotron should make note of this for an applause.  MOS will just love that, LOL!  Same when he passes the win count -- which should occur sometime this season. KNOCKS WOOD

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 21, 2024, 06:30:41 AMBy now, most probably know Brady Oliviera is starting behind Johnny Augustine in the BC game and will be eased into the game.  Seems to make good sense following an injury that evidently took considerable time to heal.

Sounds good, but I question why risk aggravating it since it's clearly still a thing.  He's probably lying to trainers about how bad it is so he can go out and prove himself.  Kind of like Biggie playing in the GC...  AND it costs us an AR spot (albeit "just" a NAT), so one less fresh ST guy & LBer.

Heeeeeeeey.... how the heck would they handle the player introductions if Johnny is the starter?  Hmm?  Ah... last PAS game they introduced the O, so this week it'll be the D's turn (though in 2023 they didn't always alternate...).  The D with so many PR guys and backups starting probably isn't going to elicit gobs of applause, sigh.

This setup has made both Brady and Johnny useless for fantasy players... I pity the casual-fantasy people picking usually-highest-scoring Brady this week thinking he's the #1 guy!  Haha, this inside scoop might give me an edge to catch up after my awful week 1 & 2 picks...
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 21, 2024, 05:34:16 AMOulettie is a poor man's Andrew Harris, he isn't near as good as A.H. was in his prime and he needs massive holes to run through, smashing and bashing won't gain him much. 

I noticed late in the Riders first game Yoshi was almost dragging one of his legs around.  I don't wish him anything but the best of luck in Regina but it looked like a chronic injury that might hasten the end of his career sooner than anticipated.

I don't see Harris in Oulette at all. He's just a run of the mill bruiser. I'm pretty sure no one would even know his name if people didn't mistake him for Canadian at first because of his french sounding name. Because he's certainly never proven to be a top guy on the field.

All due respect to Yoshi, he's an all timer, but I think his career might be ending exactly as soon as anticipated.
My wife is amazing!

VictorRomano

Quote from: Jesse on June 21, 2024, 10:39:17 AMI don't see Harris in Oulette at all. He's just a run of the mill bruiser.

I'm with you.  Oulette is more comparable to Mike Sellars than Andrew Harris or John Cornish.

blue_or_die

I'd put AJ, AH and Brady in the same RB category. Neither are burners nor the pure-bruiser type that can create holes out of literally nothing. You give them some space, they get you 5 yards. And they can all be used in other ways, such as catching out of the backfield.
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 21, 2024, 08:23:58 AMAwesome!  Jumbotron should make note of this for an applause.  MOS will just love that, LOL!  Same when he passes the win count -- which should occur sometime this season. KNOCKS WOOD

Sounds good, but I question why risk aggravating it since it's clearly still a thing.  He's probably lying to trainers about how bad it is so he can go out and prove himself.  Kind of like Biggie playing in the GC...  AND it costs us an AR spot (albeit "just" a NAT), so one less fresh ST guy & LBer.

Heeeeeeeey.... how the heck would they handle the player introductions if Johnny is the starter?  Hmm?  Ah... last PAS game they introduced the O, so this week it'll be the D's turn (though in 2023 they didn't always alternate...).  The D with so many PR guys and backups starting probably isn't going to elicit gobs of applause, sigh.

This setup has made both Brady and Johnny useless for fantasy players... I pity the casual-fantasy people picking usually-highest-scoring Brady this week thinking he's the #1 guy!  Haha, this inside scoop might give me an edge to catch up after my awful week 1 & 2 picks...

Don't know if anyone saw Brady's team interview yesterday but I was struck by lack of support he showed for Johnny starting ahead of him tonight, in fact he failed to mention his name at all. It was all about Brady and not what's best for the team in this situation.  Sure a big change of attitude from early 2022 season when he claimed Johnny and him were running compadres and it didn't matter which got the start. 

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but have to say I've soured on his attitude since the off-season contract talks and don't see him in the same light as I once did.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 21, 2024, 03:38:16 PMDon't know if anyone saw Brady's team interview yesterday but I was struck by lack of support he showed for Johnny starting ahead of him tonight, in fact he failed to mention his name at all. It was all about Brady and not what's best for the team in this situation.  Sure a big change of attitude from early 2022 season when he claimed Johnny and him were running compadres and it didn't matter which got the start. 

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but have to say I've soured on his attitude since the off-season contract talks and don't see him in the same light as I once did.

I have to say I think you're reading too much into the situation.
My wife is amazing!

Road Griller

I would have moved on from Brady when he said he wanted to reset the running back market and went import but they thought this was the better decision and let the results show if it was.

Tonight will be an epic battle, BC will want to come in, grab us by the throat and expose a soft underbelly.

The Bombers will want to prove they are not old , soft and washed in front of their fans at home.

It's the Game of the Week imo.
Can't wait for kickoff.  Go Blue!

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 21, 2024, 03:38:16 PMDon't know if anyone saw Brady's team interview yesterday but I was struck by lack of support he showed for Johnny starting ahead of him tonight, in fact he failed to mention his name at all. It was all about Brady and not what's best for the team in this situation.  Sure a big change of attitude from early 2022 season when he claimed Johnny and him were running compadres and it didn't matter which got the start. 

BO20 is disappointed, but he hasn't practiced at all this year and I think this is the right move. Limiting his playing time on his first game game back is a good idea. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

ModAdmin

Quote from: Road Griller on June 21, 2024, 03:45:16 PMI would have moved on from Brady when he said he wanted to reset the running back market and went import but they thought this was the better decision and let the results show if it was.

Tonight will be an epic battle, BC will want to come in, grab us by the throat and expose a soft underbelly.

The Bombers will want to prove they are not old , soft and washed in front of their fans at home.

It's the Game of the Week imo.
Can't wait for kickoff.  Go Blue!

That is likely why you are not and will not make any personnel decisions for the Bombers!  :D  But I am with you on the Go Blue comment!

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on June 21, 2024, 05:10:06 PMBO20 is disappointed, but he hasn't practiced at all this year and I think this is the right move. Limiting his playing time on his first game game back is a good idea. 

I think the right move would be to keep him on the bench, tbh. But hopefully he'll be ok.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 21, 2024, 05:42:27 PMNot just me that picked up on that VIBE!
https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/oliveira-unhappy-with-no-2-designation

It'd be nice if that article on our local sports rag wasn't paywalled, but the title seems to indicate he's unhappy with being a backup.

Does it really matter what he says to a sports writer?
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず