Official Game Day Thread - BC at Winnipeg, June 21, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, June 20, 2024, 03:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBURGESS

That was the best game we've played so far this year. BO was playing bully ball and getting us into manageable 2nd downs. We were picking up the short yardage with Strev. A better pass to Demski in the end might have sealed the win for us. 
Still lots of things to fix, but at least we went in the right direction last night.  
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TBURGESS on June 22, 2024, 01:50:05 PMThat was the best game we've played so far this year. BO was playing bully ball and getting us into manageable 2nd downs. We were picking up the short yardage with Strev. A better pass to Demski in the end might have sealed the win for us.
Still lots of things to fix, but at least we went in the right direction last night. 

Easily the best game offensively. Outside of the first half punting by Sheahan it was probably our best special teams game. They hung 500 total yards on the defense and I think that unit has actually regressed from game 1 to 3. Injuries probably explain a lot of it but at the same time we have a game next week so it needs to get back to track somehow.

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 22, 2024, 01:21:27 PMI heard he got injured in off season training. That limited his ability to practice nearly all of TC and that continued this week.

So no I don't see his work ethic etc as any issue.

BO20 was the one that reported that he over did it with his off season training and injured himself.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pete

A better game for the offence, especially considering Schoen didnt play the 4th
Zac seemed to be getting rid of the ball quicker and with zip
They also showed more creativity with running game.(Only real problem was the bonehead plays at the end of 2nd, running a running play with very little time and then leaving only 5 seconds and not taking the field goal)
The defence however got exposed on a number of fronts:
1.dline is a mess, Willie again except for one disruption did nothing,I know he was keeping containment but we need him to apply pressure.
2.  Kramdl got burned several times
He doesn't have the speed to cover downfield pass plays. He's starting to feel like this years Hurl Maybe use Cole or Griffen more.
3 Another aging vet who had zero impact was Alexander. In an earlier post I suggested we needed to have him take a deeper drop. Nowhere to be seen on most deep passes. When I watch Mtrl's  DeQuoy ..that's what a free safety needs to do.
4. What wasn't new is that when ever the opposing team needs a first down  its almost a given that they throw a short out and are successful.
If we don't do something with dline we're not going to win

pdirks67

Quote from: TBURGESS on June 22, 2024, 01:50:05 PMThat was the best game we've played so far this year. BO was playing bully ball and getting us into manageable 2nd downs. We were picking up the short yardage with Strev. A better pass to Demski in the end might have sealed the win for us.

Totally agree. I thought the DL and OL both went some distance towards gelling as units. I think we still have a chance to be good this year after last night's game.

blue_gold_84

Some positives last night in terms of effort and execution, but that rings pretty hollow now that they're 0-3. Worst start since 2012 and the first three game skid since 2019.

I thought the secondary took a step back but that pass rush - or lack thereof - likely played into that.

Still a ton of room for improvement. They have to win in Calgary next week.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 22, 2024, 03:28:36 PMSome positives last night in terms of effort and execution, but that rings pretty hollow now that they're 0-3. Worst start since 2012 and the first three game skid since 2019.

I thought the secondary took a step back but that pass rush - or lack thereof - likely played into that.

Still a ton of room for improvement. They have to win in Calgary next week.

I'm very concerned about the additional injuries on both sides of the ball. Like the BC game it's a 4 point game potentially.

In theory, we can still win the series against the Lions. We lost game 1 against them last year. Mathematically we could still come out ahead within that series. It could make a difference in the standings or even making the playoffs.

In 2023, Bombers winning the series was literally the difference between finishing 1st instead of 2nd.

Obviously we're a long ways from the final analysis. Just saying the world hasn't ended yet.

Hopefully Brady is back to 100% and Nichols can play.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

Offense is progressing, defense needs major work, D line gets zero pressure on Qb, gone are the days of Jeffcoat and Jefferson remaking havoc. You don't even notice Jefferson out there. Secondary is dreadful, Hollins embarrasses them, made them look foolish.

On the upside, Collaros had a decent outing, not outstanding but better than the first 2 games combined. Not sure what He was thinking at the end of the first half, it takes a minimum of 6 seconds to run a decent play, but if you're going to run a play, 3 step drop and let the ball go, as soon as Collaros rolled out the half was over, so that gaff is on him. Still lots of room for improvement

kkc60

Close, could've won and they didn't though. 0-3 is tough, especially with the rest of the West looking alright

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: J5V on June 22, 2024, 03:42:03 AMI'm still not overly concerned. I saw a lot of improvement, especially on offense, and like Suitor said, stay with the process -- they're getting close. Remember, all we need to do is squeak into the playoffs and win 3 in a row. It's a long season.

I agree, they have struggles but they are rounding the corner, just need a few weaker opponents that aren't playing at the top of their game.  It's looking like it will now take them till the second half of the season to get back into the top tier.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on June 22, 2024, 02:07:36 PMBO20 was the one that reported that he over did it with his off season training and injured himself.

Yes, quite possible he's over training and the team knows this will lead to injuries, they could be upset with him that he's ignoring their training advice to take it easier in preparation for the season.  They gave him a big raise and are relying on him to be able to perform.

Blueforlife

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 22, 2024, 10:32:20 AMBuck/Zach must be reading the forum.  He's added a lot more zip and pep to his passes.  Quicker release, quicker wind up.  Very few underthrows tonight.

And his zippy passes had more success than his feathers/arcs.  One of the only big ones that failed was the shot to Strevie that Strevie whiffed on.

Also, Demski 1-handed throw-behind save was one of the best catches of the year.  And then his 1-handed overthrow snatch, is another catch of the year.  And maybe he had a 3rd throw-behind snag earlier in the game?  These are astounding Kenny-type catches we haven't seen from Demski in a loooong time.  Superb!

Wheatfall looks like calf or hammy?  It was non-contact but took 2-3 strides to fully develop.  Could be knee, too, but he didn't collapse as one would expect.  MCL?  Just a slight tear?  Who knows.  He was holding his calf with the trainers, but I doubt it's achilles.

4Q13:36 Peters holds onto Brady on the turf 5-6 secs after the whistle.  Who knows what that clown was doing, looked like trying to gouge out his knee caps.  To me that's even worse than the twisting on Strevie.

League has got to do something about this.  It's not fair to the carriers who cannot retaliate or they'll get a penalty like Strev did in the GC.  And it needs to be harsh.  Brady shouldn't have to lay there and take it for 5s!  And there's no pile and it's clear and obvious.  Should have been a call on the field.  Refs should get training on keeping an eye out.

P.S. On the subsequent Strev TD BC had 3-4 players clearly offside.  No flag was thrown.  What's up with that?
You assessment of Wheatfall's injury is accurate.  I thought hammy live.  My bet misses a number of games.  Too bad.  Hope I'm wrong.

bomb squad

Good game from offence, kicking,and kick coverage teams. Defence was not good. On the final BC possession, had them pinned at the 20, crowd in full force, and couldn't stop them. That's not Bomber football. Ford needed to contain Berryhill after the catch, but let him get away and get a crucial first down. That's a play a DB needs to make at this level, green or not.
Defence has to get better, or we will not win many games. Against anybody.

Pigskin

I think Hubert will turn into a good rotational player. Fayad with 3 days of practice was pretty good. I think Fayad will be better in Calgary. But, with that said, a player like Leonard or Oakman would really help this team with there pass rush. Now do we have any $$$

If DS83 and Wheatfall are out, do we look at a player like Lucky Whitehead?

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

The Zipp

Quote from: The Zipp on June 22, 2024, 01:55:41 AMThat was terrible.   MOS will defend it though. 

Called that one / MOS saying after the game it was the correct call.