"Chipped" Footballs

Started by ModAdmin, June 07, 2024, 04:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

This issue has taken on a life of it's own. 

John Hodge, 3DownNation, takes a look at the problem with views from around the league...

https://3downnation.com/2024/06/07/sergio-castillo-rips-cfls-new-chipped-footballs-fellow-kickers-come-to-his-defence/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

Effective immediately, use of chipped balls will be optional and decided at the beginning of the game by each team.

Ok. That was fast.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

dd

Wow, didn't know they were doing that and my apologies Sergio for cursing you last night!! I'll curse the CFL instead!!

DCM

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 07, 2024, 09:48:18 PMEffective immediately, use of chipped balls will be optional and decided at the beginning of the game by each team.

Ok. That was fast.
Should kick in for week two. Why does Montreal/Winnipeg have to use them but the rest of the teams for the week get to not to. Actually unfair there.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

KINGCHARLES

Man if Troy Westwood had those balls maybe they would have actually went through the uprights
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

dd

Funny how the chipped ball didn't affect Montreal's kicking game.....

ModAdmin

Montreal's kicker missed a convert.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 07, 2024, 09:48:18 PMEffective immediately, use of chipped balls will be optional and decided at the beginning of the game by each team.

I'm assuming they mean for the kicking game only?!  O still has to use chipped balls?

Quote from: DCM on June 08, 2024, 01:13:52 AMShould kick in for week two. Why does Montreal/Winnipeg have to use them but the rest of the teams for the week get to not to. Actually unfair there.

Great point.  Sergio gets to be the guinea pig?  Lame.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on June 08, 2024, 02:58:42 AMFunny how the chipped ball didn't affect Montreal's kicking game.....

Ya.  MOS talking about it made it sound like an "excuse" even though he said Castillo isn't one for "excuses".  Fans often don't like that kind of "whine", even if it is legit.  Something about bad workmen and tools, etc, lol.

However, since kicking is 95% a mind game, if Sergio wants to blame the ball instead of admitting to a Lirim H<many letters> night, then I say let him, and let's all play along!  If he needs his "magic feather" then give it to him.  Chances are it'll help him fly kick better next game.

My opinion is he probably just had an off night, but maybe he's right, who knows, and who cares.  I did not boo him, and kept my son from doing so as well.  Dude needs to make that next kick (no matter which week), and booing won't help him succeed.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Hey wait, weren't the balls also chipped in 2023?!?  I'm nearly positive we were told they were chipped in 2023 because they put out a notice players weren't allowed to chuck balls in the stands anymore.

On a couple of FG's at PAS that went into the stands I noticed the workers went up and retrieved the balls.  If I was there it'd be under my seat and I'd be saying "what ball?"  ;D  ;D

If they were chipped in 2023 then why is this only affecting Castillo now??

Next question: the guys who INT the ball and walk off with it (like Cole)... do they have to give it back too?  Or pay the $500 price to keep it??
Never go full Rider!

bluengold204

I think they use different balls for kicks that weren't chipped.

TecnoGenius

Also, if they knew the 2024 kick balls were going to be chipped, weren't they all practicing with the chipped balls all through TC and PS??  It would seem rather unprofessional to have practiced all this time with the ball you weren't going to use in the game!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Oh, from the other thread:

"Effective immediately, teams will no longer be mandated to use microchip-implanted footballs for kicking plays."

(thanks Waffler)  Just putting this in the Chipped thread so we have clarity in this narrow-focus thread.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 07, 2024, 03:17:38 PMI don't really understand what kind of data they are getting from the chips on a field goal anyway? The technology has existed for a ton of years to determine how far a kick would sail or how far it would have been good from without using a chip. Velocity? Force? Like what is it? And why would anyone care?

(Move from the MOS thread)

I would love to use the chip to get a definitive answer to those FGs that sail high over the posts, but are directly over a post.  The only thing we have for those is the ref standing directly under that one post.  If he blinks or gets it wrong, there's zero recourse.

A camera facing straight up right at the top of each post would help too.  Maybe with some gun-sight type crosshairs on the image?  A coordinated direct side-view plus direct-up view showed side-by-side in synced time would allow fans/command to determine if a ball was truly in or not.

With the current cameras it's anyone's guess as you can't tell the exact moment it goes over the post on a ball slowly drifting from inside to outside.
Never go full Rider!