Mock Drafts

Started by ModAdmin, March 14, 2024, 05:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: Pigskin on March 27, 2024, 01:28:58 PMI would say with BOO signing with Hamilton we currently only have Murphy as a backup Canadian WR. So, I would think we have a WR fairly high on our shopping list for the draft.

Starting 8 or even 9 NATS reduces the "need" for a backup NAT WR.  Not saying we don't *need* one in the draft, I'd be surprised if one of our first 3 picks isn't a WR...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

We do not need any position in the draft.

We need to identify players that have potential to become impact starters. That's it.
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

Quote from: Jesse on March 27, 2024, 04:15:45 PMWe do not need any position in the draft.

We need to identify players that have potential to become impact starters. That's it.

That, as well as a DT!
#Ride?

dd

When the fullbacks name is Mike Sellers, I m all for it, but these smaller runningback/fullback types, I just don't see a need for them. If you want someone to lead block for your RB, get your tight end to chip off the DE and lead the way, plus be a bonafide pass recieving threat. But bigg Mike was awesome to watch but he's the exception not the rule in the CFL

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Jesse on March 27, 2024, 04:15:45 PMWe do not need any position in the draft.

You guys need almost every position outside of defensive back.

Is Bennett the answer or do you grab another defensive end.  Kongbo wasn't good last year in Hamilton.

How much depth do you have at Linebacker?  I'm guessing Kelly backs up Kramdi, like last year.

Eli and Dobson will be fighting for the LG spot, the loser will be the sixth Olinemen.  Who will be the seventh?

theaardvark

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on March 28, 2024, 12:54:24 PMYou guys need almost every position outside of defensive back.

Is Bennett the answer or do you grab another defensive end.  Kongbo wasn't good last year in Hamilton.

How much depth do you have at Linebacker?  I'm guessing Kelly backs up Kramdi, like last year.

Eli and Dobson will be fighting for the LG spot, the loser will be the sixth Olinemen.  Who will be the seventh?

So, just like every year...

We will take an Oline with the first pick, and another when an OL is BPA.  We will have players in the pipeline, like always.

We will draft a DB (when one is BPA) to back up Ford.

With our NAT starting depth, the rest of the picks should be non position related, BPA... we will have them for 2-3 years to develop and assess if they make it out of TC.  If they develop well, maybe they adjust where our NATs start...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

LXTSN

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 27, 2024, 04:05:40 AMI'm in the "need a FB/TE" camp.  Whilst not important for many teams, the fact that MOS/Buck wasted a DI spot on a FB/TE for like half the season should tell you how important that role is to our O.

On my season rewatch it's pretty clear the early loss to BC sparked a massive rethink and desire to better protect Zach.  That's when we started going heavy a whack ton.  And we kept doing it all season and post-season.  That meant 6 and 7 OL set, or 6 + Jackson.  (Did we ever see 7 + Jackson?)

Having that extra guy be a FB/TE does make D's defend the spot, since they often are the forgotten sneak-out guy for a short pass.  From memory we targeted Jackson 3 times?

But don't count out Eli for a target.  In his first year he'd go 7 yards downfield when he had no one to block and turn and put his hands up to catch a pass.  It was my favorite thing ever and I'm dying to see them chuck to him just once!  If he has good hands, why not?

I think we really missed Miller and that's why we wasted that DI... because none of our NATs could do it.  However, you'd think FA for a young-ish, has-promise TE/FB could also yield something, and for cheap?  (How did we get Miller?)  So waste a high DP or maybe wait another year for a FA?

I'm thinking we may want 2 DP OL, and certainly 1.  Whether that leaves room for a TE/FB... I hope so.  BPA: we don't need just a rando player, we need certain positions, unless we just want to use BPA as trade bait.  If BOO is gone then we're super short at NAT WR backup, especially seeing how many NAT WR/RB we start...

There is nothing I would love more than to see Eli catching passes lol
However, my guess is he doesn't have the catching ability and agility equal to a good FB/TE.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on March 27, 2024, 03:00:39 PMStarting 8 or even 9 NATS reduces the "need" for a backup NAT WR.  Not saying we don't *need* one in the draft, I'd be surprised if one of our first 3 picks isn't a WR...

It's not the starting ratio that causes the need for a backup WR, it's to have enough injury backups at WR/RB.

"A Designated American (DA) is a non-Starting American player who may play on all special teams.  During regular offensive or defensive possessions, he may only replace an American player on the field."

Which means if a NAT leaves the field, he can only be replaced by another NAT, not a DA.  (We can argue how this changes with a non-DA extra-IMP due to 8-9 starting NATs, but my read is NAT can only be replaced by NAT (or "NA" FAKENAT in 2023+ and only *if* it's an injury situation).

Back to the point, since we start 3 NAT at WR/RB, we surely need to have 2 (or more) WR/RB-type NAT players dressed as backup.  One more a RB than WR: Johnny.  One more a WR than RB, but could be a McCrae type who can do both (ya, he was an IMP, but his type is perfect in this example).

BOO was that guy.  He's gonno, and whoever is next man up (you guys mentioned Murphy) has to be at least around BOO level (is he??), otherwise we need to start eyeing WR DP.

If both Brady and Woli go down in the same game, things will suck bad if we field Johnny + a not-ready or weak young'n NAT WR.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Some think that.  Others think otherwise.  The great thing is we'll know who's right on draft night.  If we go OL FB OL WR then the "draft positions" people won.  If we do DB DE WR LB then you'll be right!

How do you feel KW has approached it in the past?  Positions or BPA?  The past is 100% a predictor of KW future performance, if there's one thing we've learned about The Can Mafia over the years.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on March 28, 2024, 12:15:01 AMWhen the fullbacks name is Mike Sellers, I m all for it, but these smaller runningback/fullback types, I just don't see a need for them.

But wasn't Mike Miller basically that?  He's not a super tall or beefy guy.  And he was pretty useful at the FB role.  I'm not sure even-beefier (but also short) Jackson was any better, and he wasted a DI spot to boot.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: LXTSN on March 28, 2024, 03:40:35 PMThere is nothing I would love more than to see Eli catching passes lol
However, my guess is he doesn't have the catching ability and agility equal to a good FB/TE.

Ya, but if he gets any momentum going on YAC, it'll be fun to watch him bulldoze DBs.  The smart ones will just go for the leg tackle.

I would throw one to him early in the season just to make LBs have to pause a second to think about defending it.  Don't have to throw him one the rest of the season  ;D
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 29, 2024, 04:37:48 AMSome think that.  Others think otherwise.  The great thing is we'll know who's right on draft night.  If we go OL FB OL WR then the "draft positions" people won.  If we do DB DE WR LB then you'll be right!

How do you feel KW has approached it in the past?  Positions or BPA?  The past is 100% a predictor of KW future performance, if there's one thing we've learned about The Can Mafia over the years.

There are times when Walters has focused on positions, i.e., Olinemen and times when he focuses on the BPA.  This year we lost JH51 so in the early rounds, my guess is we select Olinemen.  There is not enough knowledge about the signed Olinemen to say we are set at that position.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Doublezero

Quote from: theaardvark on March 26, 2024, 04:48:05 PMFB is a position that, in certain instances, has a place.

Here's something I haven't seen mentioned.

Streveler.

He is literally a FB, and with 2 QB's on the field allowed, we have a FB who has far more dimensionality than any NAT FB ever. 

So lets drop the "We need to draft a FB" discussion, OK?

our needs OLine pipeline, then BPA.  If BPA nets is a LB/ST guy , a depth WR for the PR and DB/FS/SAM backup with ST capabilities (including returning), we will be fine.  We have NATS at so many positions, BPA will be good anywhere.  Maybe a second or third Oline, or a flyer pick on someone who has NFL opportunities that eventually may come north.

A guy with the right body build and football smarts can play both LB and FB. For example, Wade Miller was drafted as a linebacker (37th pick) in 1995 and started out on defence. Then he switched to FB and was pretty effective as a blocker, occasional short yardage punch and amazing special teams ace.
Just gimme the rock.

Pete

It seems as though when Walters is picking in the 8 or 9 spot, the first pick is in an area of need, because by the time your second round pick arrives the chances of getting a player good enough to fill that need is greatly diminished.  if you have a pick on the top 5 you likely take the best player, cause even at the 10-13th pic you can probably still fill the need.
This year it appears that our biggest need is the oline due to Grey departure, Neufelds age, and Dobson on the last year of a contract.
What I would like to see us do is extend more contracts like other teams seem to do. Dobson and Holm would be a good start.

ModAdmin

Quote from: Pete on March 29, 2024, 07:38:29 PMIt seems as though when Walters is picking in the 8 or 9 spot, the first pick is in an area of need, because by the time your second round pick arrives the chances of getting a player good enough to fill that need is greatly diminished.  if you have a pick on the top 5 you likely take the best player, cause even at the 10-13th pic you can probably still fill the need.
This year it appears that our biggest need is the oline due to Grey departure, Neufelds age, and Dobson on the last year of a contract.
What I would like to see us do is extend more contracts like other teams seem to do. Dobson and Holm would be a good start.

Oline for sure.  You are right about Neufeld and Grey.  Don't forget Hardrick is also gone and Bryant is at an age when he could pull the pin anytime  as well.  The Oline is definitely a priority.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden