CJOB - Bombers Winter Special

Started by Waffler, February 27, 2024, 02:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waffler

2 hour show. Air date: 7 to 9pm, Feb 26.  I don't see it on the podcast page yet but you can listen from the audio vault here:

https://globalnews.ca/pages/audio-vault-cjob/
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Listening now.

Neufeld making it sound like it's a done deal he will not be the RT.  Says it's a competition between Ivy and Lofton.  (Ruh-roh, time to revive the "OL Solutions" thread.)

DT says Gray won't be back.  Not maybe, not might be convinced if the money is right, just won't be back.  Hints Dobson is likely at LG, or Eli.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

DT ran the numbers from 2021-2023 and when Jeffcoat was out Willie got zero sacks.  Zero!  That confirms all of our suspicions that the 2 J's were a package deal, it wasn't all just Willie.

(They did say Willie could still get pressure.)
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on February 27, 2024, 02:25:07 PM2 hour show. Air date: 7 to 9pm, Feb 26.  I don't see it on the podcast page yet but you can listen from the audio vault here:

Thanks for the initial heads up, Waffler.  I would have never known about it.  This type of tip is why I love this forum!
Never go full Rider!

kkc60

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 28, 2024, 01:01:39 AMListening now.

Neufeld making it sound like it's a done deal he will not be the RT.  Says it's a competition between Ivy and Lofton.  (Ruh-roh, time to revive the "OL Solutions" thread.)
makes sense, those are the two guys he knows. Wouldn't read too deeply into that.

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 28, 2024, 10:36:00 AMDT ran the numbers from 2021-2023 and when Jeffcoat was out Willie got zero sacks.  Zero!  That confirms all of our suspicions that the 2 J's were a package deal, it wasn't all just Willie.

Doug Brown mentioned that Jeffcoat's body was older than his age and at 33 you don't turn the corner and get healthier. Also that fans don't realize how much stock coaches put in durability, counting on a player to be there game in and game out. From myself, I notice that Jeffcoat practiced very little last year and the coaches must see where the trend is going.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Stretch

Quote from: Waffler on February 28, 2024, 03:32:20 PMAlso that fans don't realize how much stock coaches put in durability, counting on a player to be there game in and game out.

"The best ability is availability."

-Someone
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Waffler on February 28, 2024, 03:32:20 PMDoug Brown mentioned that Jeffcoat's body was older than his age and at 33 you don't turn the corner and get healthier. Also that fans don't realize how much stock coaches put in durability, counting on a player to be there game in and game out. From myself, I notice that Jeffcoat practiced very little last year and the coaches must see where the trend is going.

Walters gambled and lost on Jeffcoat, his intention was to bring him back at a discount and it failed.  They've got no equivalent replacement for his QB pressure and Willy's sack count is about to go MIA from being double teamed and constantly chipped. The D is going to have to be reconfigured around a mediocre pass rush this season unless they find a DE stud in TC that can match Jeffcoat's pressure.  They have no cap space to fix anything that's inadequate coming out of TC, so the impact of significant player loss could be deep and painful.

ModAdmin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 28, 2024, 05:27:19 PMWalters gambled and lost on Jeffcoat, his intention was to bring him back at a discount and it failed.  They've got no equivalent replacement for his QB pressure and Willy's sack count is about to go MIA from being double teamed and constantly chipped. The D is going to have to be reconfigured around a mediocre pass rush this season unless they find a DE stud in TC that can match Jeffcoat's pressure.  They have no cap space to fix anything that's inadequate coming out of TC, so the impact of significant player loss could be deep and painful.

Exactly....we have to wait through training camp to determine whether or not Jeffcoat and his talent can be replaced.  Too early to say we can't/won't.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Waffler

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 28, 2024, 05:27:19 PMbring him back at a discount.

I think this is what other teams thought. He didn't receive a firm and good enough offer from any team to put his body on the line again.  I think Walters would have paid him respectably if he had the money left to give.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 28, 2024, 05:27:19 PMWalters gambled and lost on Jeffcoat, his intention was to bring him back at a discount and it failed.  They've got no equivalent replacement for his QB pressure and Willy's sack count is about to go MIA from being double teamed and constantly chipped. The D is going to have to be reconfigured around a mediocre pass rush this season unless they find a DE stud in TC that can match Jeffcoat's pressure.  They have no cap space to fix anything that's inadequate coming out of TC, so the impact of significant player loss could be deep and painful.

Seeing as how no other team offered a contract to Jeffcoat, I'm pretty sure that Walters "gamble" on Jeffcoat worked out.  Haba on the field is better than Jeffcoat in the tub... if Jeffcoat was healthy and ready to play 18+ games at top level, then yeah, Walters would have lost the gamble.  I don't think anyone, including Jeffcoat, would think that he was going to play 18 games at an elite level in 2024.

Love Jeffcoat, but there comes a time when its time.  We will remember his contributions fondly.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 28, 2024, 10:36:00 AMDT ran the numbers from 2021-2023 and when Jeffcoat was out Willie got zero sacks.  Zero!  That confirms all of our suspicions that the 2 J's were a package deal, it wasn't all just Willie.

I've heard DT say this before, but even a quick check proves it's not true at all.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on February 28, 2024, 07:42:28 PMSeeing as how no other team offered a contract to Jeffcoat, I'm pretty sure that Walters "gamble" on Jeffcoat worked out. Haba on the field is better than Jeffcoat in the tub... if Jeffcoat was healthy and ready to play 18+ games at top level, then yeah, Walters would have lost the gamble.  I don't think anyone, including Jeffcoat, would think that he was going to play 18 games at an elite level in 2024.

Love Jeffcoat, but there comes a time when its time.  We will remember his contributions fondly.

The Stamps, Lions and Riders were all interested in Jeffcoat, Sask. offered him a contract but by the time he went back to Walters to match, they signed Malik Carney and withdrew the offer. Just to clarify misconceptions Jeffcoat missed 3 games last season due to injury.

Waffler

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 28, 2024, 09:33:15 PMJeffcoat missed 3 games last season due to injury.

We know. It was a herculean effort. The fact remains that he was listed as questionable almost every week and rarely practiced.  It was acceptable only because he's an honored vet and it was assumed this was his farewell tour. Coming back again, you have to wonder how nervous a coach wants to be.