Blue Bombers agree to terms with offensive tackle Eric Lofton

Started by ModAdmin, February 16, 2024, 03:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueforlife

Nice to have a vet to go along with draft picks and American prospects, I don't know his play, I expect he will be an asset
Sometimes you need a fresh start

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on February 16, 2024, 06:53:00 PMOK, I didn't see that Lofton had played 15 games last year at LT for SSK... that's not an amazing stat, we know how good SSK's Oline was last year, and one of the reasons for paying Hardrick. 

Have to wonder what kind of contract he signed, can't have been league min, could it?

It will be interesting to see whether he can earn a spot on the roster at that price out of camp, and how short a leash he will be on...

If Lofton signed for ELC, then he's desperate.  If we signed him for much more than ELC, then we're desperate.  If it's just a hair above ELC then we're both desperate.  ;D

3down used the word "crisis" to describe our OL hole(s).  They might be right.

I mentioned Lofton in the OL thread, but didn't think we'd ever sign him again.  He visits every team and gets cut, including by ours.  That's not what we need at RT.  I'd rather go with the unknown, youngblood Ivy.

That said, if he's our new RT, then I welcome him as any Bomber and hope for the best.  Maybe our coaches and scheme can turn a wanderer into an allstar.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

I really like this "youngblood" Micah Vanterpool.  He has the measureables and a lot of mice thing being said in scouting reports.  Ivy is more familiar with our system having been here, Lofton has more CFL game experience, but I'm hopeful that Vanterpool comes in and takes the job. 

WHat is interesting is that if that happens, and if Eli ends up as RG, then we have the Hawaiian connection protecting Collaros as he rolls right...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 17, 2024, 10:52:23 AMIf Lofton signed for ELC, then he's desperate.  If we signed him for much more than ELC, then we're desperate.  If it's just a hair above ELC then we're both desperate.  ;D

3down used the word "crisis" to describe our OL hole(s).  They might be right.

I mentioned Lofton in the OL thread, but didn't think we'd ever sign him again.  He visits every team and gets cut, including by ours.  That's not what we need at RT.  I'd rather go with the unknown, youngblood Ivy.

That said, if he's our new RT, then I welcome him as any Bomber and hope for the best.  Maybe our coaches and scheme can turn a wanderer into an allstar.

On further thought Lofton actually may work out, Sask hasn't shown themselves to be a great evaluator of oline talent.
If we find someone with more ability, Great, but hes a reasonable alternative.
Lets hope hes another Neufeld.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pete on February 17, 2024, 03:07:18 PMOn further thought Lofton actually may work out, Sask hasn't shown themselves to be a great evaluator of oline talent.
If we find someone with more ability, Great, but hes a reasonable alternative.
Lets hope hes another Neufeld.

It would be an absolute hoot if Lofton came here and did well, and Yoshi got there and found their Oline coach and OC are inept and has a terrible season.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

It's a virtual certainty that Lofton will look better here than he did in Sask. He's surrounded by better talent at every position. Hardrick will undoubtedly struggle more than he did here as well. People were critical of Stanley Bryant when he first came here because the line around him was awful. Hardick won't be immune from that.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: theaardvark on February 16, 2024, 06:53:00 PMOK, I didn't see that Lofton had played 15 games last year at LT for SSK... that's not an amazing stat, we know how good SSK's Oline was last year, and one of the reasons for paying Hardrick. 

Have to wonder what kind of contract he signed, can't have been league min, could it?

It will be interesting to see whether he can earn a spot on the roster at that price out of camp, and how short a leash he will be on... 
Well signing Brady and Dalton didn't leave much more than crumbs to offer any FA....saw this coming with four straight GC appearances.   Something had to give and this was the year it broke us to keep our two biggest offers weapons in Blue and Gold
Bomber fan for life

DM83

Come on boys.
That's the reality of football. 
We were actually lucky to have a four year run.
The Bombers O line , maybe the Dline and. The secondary will be the weak (links)

However, no one other team stands out.  Everyone has lost at least a couple key pieces.

Like the playoffs, whoever picks up a couple. Good players at the end wins.
This year will be more of a crapshoot in the end.

Can the Bombers eye for talent reveal a couple of studs for the O line, like we were back in 19.