Forum Update

Started by ModAdmin, January 16, 2024, 05:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

FYI....On Thursday, January 18, 2024 the forum will be down for 2 or 3 hours, sometime during the course of that day, while we investigate the possibility of upgrading the forum to a more current version.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_gold_84

Count me among those looking forward to the updates/upgrades.

Thanks for the info. :)
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Jesse

I am intrigued and terrified.
My wife is amazing!

Blueforlife

Should be fun figuring out new buttons, I'll try not to push too many ;)
Sometimes you need a fresh start

GOLDMEMBER

Also, count me in to see upgrades to this form, especially having options to like other peoples messages and easily post images among other needs. It would make the forum a lot more enjoyable!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

blue_or_die

Honestly, even if everything was the exact same but I could post from my phone without the end result looking wonky, I'd be very happy.

On the other hand, this format makes me nostalgic for the early 2000s internet I grew up on, lol.
#Ride?

Jesse

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 17, 2024, 06:16:20 PM
Honestly, even if everything was the exact same but I could post from my phone without the end result looking wonky, I'd be very happy.

On the other hand, this format makes me nostalgic for the early 2000s internet I grew up on, lol.

A mobile version and the ability to like or react to posts would be cool. But I also love the look and feel of the site (though hate the crashes that have happened over the past couple of years).
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

The main thing will be UTF8 support... that will make many cut & paste & Apple posters happy, and allow the rest of us not to see ? everywhere.  And better mobile support would be gravy.

Other than that, I'll miss the ol' forum if it changes drastically.  I think the SSK one is uuggglly.
Never go full Rider!

barbk

Hopefully it improves the bomber forum crashing

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on January 17, 2024, 07:15:02 PM
A mobile version and the ability to like or react to posts would be cool. But I also love the look and feel of the site (though hate the crashes that have happened over the past couple of years).

+1

Some more modern features would be nice and would add to the user experience.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Registering first complaint, no "next topic" button at the bottom of the page!

ModAdmin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 18, 2024, 10:02:58 PMRegistering first complaint, no "next topic" button at the bottom of the page!

One extra step...

Click on "Go Up" near the bottom left of each page.
Click on "Next Topic" near the top right of each page.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 18, 2024, 10:20:05 PMOne extra step...

Click on "Go Up" near the bottom left of each page.
Click on "Next Topic" near the top right of each page.

I guess that works, thanks!

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

gobombersgo

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 17, 2024, 09:30:03 PMThe main thing will be UTF8 support... that will make many cut & paste & Apple posters happy, and allow the rest of us not to see ? everywhere.  And better mobile support would be gravy.

Other than that, I'll miss the ol' forum if it changes drastically.  I think the SSK one is uuggglly.

Not having to deal with the question marks popping up when copy & pasting is what I'm looking forward to

ModAdmin

Quote from: Jesse on January 19, 2024, 12:36:44 AMI still don't see it!

Okay....go to the top of the page - see the title of the thread and look across to the right where you will see...

Previous Topic and then beside that Next Topic.

gobombersgo

Testing out adding attachments. Can still only post 192kb but at least its something we can work with.

Sir Blue and Gold

What is this sorcery?

gobombersgo

Seeing if we can insert images again:

Edit: I posted an image but I dont see it.

Edit number 2: you can add youtube clips

Edit number 3: I figured out how to add an image from Twitter. I had to open the image from a new tab then copy the URL.

I was getting error messages for the last year or so when trying to post images with the old version of the forum.

TecnoGenius

Looking nice so far!  And mostly still the same ol' forum.  Liking it...
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 19, 2024, 12:40:56 AMOkay....go to the top of the page - see the title of the thread and look across to the right where you will see...

Previous Topic and then beside that Next Topic.

I get it now. I was on my phone before. It does not show up when I'm holding my phone normally, but does when you hold it sideways or are on the computer.

Loving the notification when I was quoted, tho!
My wife is amazing!

Ridermania

Like the new and improved look.

Can't wait until official free agency starts!

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Next topic at bottom, definately

Display of the topic static at the top, or on each post, so no matter how we scroll down, we know the topic..
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TBURGESS

Love the like button. How 'bout: Agree, Disagree, & Thanks buttons.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Blue In BC

Where is the logout button?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 19, 2024, 03:20:13 PMWhere is the logout button?

At the top of the page is your username with a pulldown arrow. Click on that and the pulldown menu has the log out option.

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 19, 2024, 03:20:13 PMWhere is the logout button?

Why would anyone ever want to logout? ;)
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 19, 2024, 03:24:37 PMAt the top of the page is your username with a pulldown arrow. Click on that and the pulldown menu has the log out option.

Nothing like that at the top of my page though. Doesn't seem to be my day.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 19, 2024, 04:06:44 PMNothing like that at the top of my page though. Doesn't seem to be my day.

Weird. What browser are you using?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

OK, the lack of "Next Topic" button at the bottom of the screen is REALLY bugging me.  Not even a "Back to top" button, gotta scroll all the way back up.  Did any of the testers actually USE the forum? 

Thread title in each post... put it in front of the "Today at 04:06:44 PM" banner.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on January 19, 2024, 04:12:19 PMOK, the lack of "Next Topic" button at the bottom of the screen is REALLY bugging me.  Not even a "Back to top" button, gotta scroll all the way back up.  Did any of the testers actually USE the forum? 

Thread title in each post... put it in front of the "Today at 04:06:44 PM" banner.

As pointed out earlier there is a "Go Up" button in the left bottom corner.

It's obviously an off the shelf product so we'll have to accept it as is.  There's no team of programmers beavering away in a back room tweaking adjustments.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on January 19, 2024, 04:12:19 PMOK, the lack of "Next Topic" button at the bottom of the screen is REALLY bugging me.  Not even a "Back to top" button, gotta scroll all the way back up.  Did any of the testers actually USE the forum? 

There is the "GO UP" button at the bottom left of the page.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 19, 2024, 04:44:20 PMFirefox.

Look just above the title at the top of the page "Blue Bomber Forum". You should see 3 links - your user name, My Messages and Alerts.  Click on your user name link and a drop down menu will appear giving you the option to log out.

Blue In BC

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 19, 2024, 04:56:54 PMLook just above the title at the top of the page "Blue Bomber Forum". You should see 3 links - your user name, My Messages and Alerts.  Click on your user name link and a drop down menu will appear giving you the option to log out.

Ah, now I see it. I seemed to " not see " anything above the Blue Bombers Forum. thanks
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Stretch

Quote from: TBURGESS on January 19, 2024, 02:58:11 PMLove the like button. How 'bout: Agree, Disagree, & Thanks buttons.

Or a "Shut yer yap!" button for those of us over 50?  :)
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Jesse

Quote from: Stretch on January 19, 2024, 06:40:41 PMOr a "Shut yer yap!" button for those of us over 50?  :)

Too many options just confuses you people.
My wife is amazing!

gobombersgo

Quote from: Stretch on January 19, 2024, 06:40:41 PMOr a "Shut yer yap!" button for those of us over 50?  :)

There is an ignore option.

Throw Long Bannatyne

I always wondered about the clock connected to this site, there doesn't seem to be any way for me to adjust it.  It never shows the correct time, or the correct time posts are made, regardless of time zone.  For example, this post is marked at 09:06:26 PM when it's actually 14:10 pm in BC.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 19, 2024, 09:14:55 PMI always wondered about the clock connected to this site, there doesn't seem to be any way for me to adjust it.  It never shows the correct time, or the correct time posts are made, regardless of time zone.  For example, this post is marked at 09:06:26 PM when it's actually 14:10 pm in BC.

You can change your time zone in your profile...

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on January 19, 2024, 03:27:12 PMWhy would anyone ever want to logout? ;)

Ya, I haven't logged out of the forum in nearly 10 years
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on January 19, 2024, 09:26:10 PMYou can change your time zone in your profile...

Thanks but updating location doesn't do anything, where do you choose the timezone?  Just wonder why it doesn't sync. to my PC time

ModAdmin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 20, 2024, 02:16:52 AMThanks but updating location doesn't do anything, where do you choose the timezone?  Just wonder why it doesn't sync. to my PC time

- Go to your user name at the very top of the the page
- Click on your user name and you will see a drop down menu.
- Click on Look and Layout.
- You will see an option to change your time zone there.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 20, 2024, 02:16:52 AMThanks but updating location doesn't do anything, where do you choose the timezone?  Just wonder why it doesn't sync. to my PC time

Because browsers don't give up that personal info to sites.  The only way some sites achieve this is via geolocation, which can be imperfect.

The TZ option is in there somewhere... keep looking.  We're -6:00 central.  Maybe this new version auto-handles the DST cutovers (yay!).  Looks like the new site didn't migrate my old TZ setting, so everyone will have to adjust theirs.

However, mods could make this easier by setting the site-wide default to the correct TZ... unless they already have and something with the conversion made it guess my old one wrong.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

That worked, thanks!

GOLDMEMBER

Tiger

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

BLUEBOMBER

Niceer colors that's for sure.

ModAdmin

It is important to mention that the league and the Blue Bombers helped immensely with the upgrade. 

Personally, I am grateful to them and to our members here who have stuck with us through the difficult software times. It has been suggested that we are sometimes over-moderated and behind the times but the goal has been and always will be, to provide a safe place where young and old fans can participate about a team I fully believe we all love.

BBRT

TecnoGenius

I'm most impressed at the fact post-upgrade mostly everything was retained from the old version.  Often times when you fall behind 800 versions they don't provide an upgrade path and you lose all the posts / accounts / etc.  So some credit to Simple Machines too, whoever they are!  And the admins who did the upgrade.
Never go full Rider!

Marni

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on January 17, 2024, 02:54:01 PMAlso, count me in to see upgrades to this form, especially having options to like other peoples messages and easily post images among other needs. It would make the forum a lot more enjoyable!

There is an issue warning button, that'll come in handy 😂😂😂
You are what happened when I wished upon a star  :-*

New_Earth_Mud

Good grief  look how fancy n shinny this place is   ;D
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

blue_or_die

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on January 28, 2024, 09:59:37 PMGood grief  look how fancy n shinny this place is   ;D

Blast from the past!
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on January 28, 2024, 09:59:37 PMGood grief  look how fancy n shinny this place is   ;D

Holy Jeebus! Welcome back, Muddy!
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

The Zipp

count me in as "wow"...Muddy is alive - hope you are well!

barbk

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 19, 2024, 09:14:55 PMI always wondered about the clock connected to this site, there doesn't seem to be any way for me to adjust it.  It never shows the correct time, or the correct time posts are made, regardless of time zone.  For example, this post is marked at 09:06:26 PM when it's actually 14:10 pm in BC.

Testing to see if this works

Okay it works

GOLDMEMBER

Greetings stranger  :D

GCn19

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 24, 2024, 05:44:26 AMIt is important to mention that the league and the Blue Bombers helped immensely with the upgrade. 

Personally, I am grateful to them and to our members here who have stuck with us through the difficult software times. It has been suggested that we are sometimes over-moderated and behind the times but the goal has been and always will be, to provide a safe place where young and old fans can participate about a team I fully believe we all love.

Don't apologize for the moderation. Ever. The site needed a refresh and got one and other forums that are more loosely moderated can at times lead to group attacks that chase members away. Especially if you open it up to contentious issues such as politics and the like.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

Big Daddy

I'll echo what others are saying - great to see you back!  All it took was an upgrade to the forum - haha!