Streveler signed to one year deal - updated topic

Started by Norm W, January 12, 2024, 06:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on January 19, 2024, 09:11:16 PMDid they? 

Looking at the games where he had more than 15 attempts, because those are likely starts...

06-14 Edm 33-30 L
06-22 Mtl 56-10 W
06-29 Ham 17-31 L
09-08 Ssk 32-27 L
11-03 Edm 24-37 L

08-23 Edm 34-23 W
09-01 SSK 17-19 L
09-07 SSK 35-10 W
09-21 Mtl 38-37 L
09-27 Ham 33-13 L
10-05 Ssk 21-6 L
10-12 Mtl 35-24 W
10-19 Cgy 33-37 L

1-4 in 2018
3-8 in 2019

64.7% completion rate, 19 TD, 19 INT

Yeah, he won games as a starter, but not enough by a long shot.  4-12, 33.3 win %

Which is why he is absoulutely fabulous as a SY/gadget guy, but not a full time starter.  He's a tendency changer...

Those are the numbers.

Dru:

10-15 BC 32-40 L  (we were playing our backups in BC)

08-10 Edm 38-29 W
08-18 CGY 19-18 W
10-27 Cgy 36-13 W

That is a starters win%

Not saying Streveler isn't a force, or an asset any team would love to have.  I just don't think you can rely on him as a #2 to take over for a long term injury replacement...

Thanks for proving my point that Streveler was QB1 in games the Bombers won during the 2018 and 2019 seasons.
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

Lincoln Locomotive

Didn't he come in to replace Nicholls who was injured early in the season in 2018.....basically a raw rookie at that point and he played more than one or two games, I believe.   I've always liked a 2 QB system as it really keeps Ds guessing especially when they have different styles like Zach and Chris.   Takes a good O-Line to adapt though
Bomber fan for life

dd

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 20, 2024, 09:29:21 PMThanks for proving my point that Streveler was QB1 in games the Bombers won during the 2018 and 2019 seasons.
Ya but he lost more games than he won by a long shot. If you think strevy is #1 material you are sadly mistaken. Great short yardage and smash mouth runner, but he isn't anywhere near the Qb Dru Brown is, not even close

Jesse

Quote from: dd on January 20, 2024, 10:55:49 PMYa but he lost more games than he won by a long shot. If you think strevy is #1 material you are sadly mistaken. Great short yardage and smash mouth runner, but he isn't anywhere near the Qb Dru Brown is, not even close

But Dru Brown isn't an option.

So do we want Strev on our team as our short yardage and smash mouth runner and back-up, or do we want Shiltz or Cornelius or Fine?

I want Streveler.
My wife is amazing!

dd

I d be ok with mason fine as our #2, but strevy would be by far the more excit8ng of the 2.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on January 20, 2024, 11:22:12 PMBut Dru Brown isn't an option.

So do we want Strev on our team as our short yardage and smash mouth runner and back-up, or do we want Shiltz or Cornelius or Fine?

I want Streveler.
I do not mind Shiltz either.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

I want Sterveler or Prukop as #3, and the best rookie we can find who wins the #2 spot in camp.

I'd rather lose with a rookie QB we are developing than lose with a Fine, or a Shiltz, or even a Streveler in the #2 spot.

And cross my fingers Collaros takes the majority of the snaps for the year...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on January 21, 2024, 04:19:55 AMI want Sterveler or Prukop as #3, and the best rookie we can find who wins the #2 spot in camp.

I'd rather lose with a rookie QB we are developing than lose with a Fine, or a Shiltz, or even a Streveler in the #2 spot.

You're really swept up in the concept that the short yardage guy and the #2 are different positions. I know Walter's said that, but it was a function of our roster, not a concrete philosophy. If we sign Strevy and a rookie. The rookie will not be #2. He will be a developmental prospect.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Jesse on January 21, 2024, 04:33:17 AMYou're really swept up in the concept that the short yardage guy and the #2 are different positions. I know Walter's said that, but it was a function of our roster, not a concrete philosophy. If we sign Strevy and a rookie. The rookie will not be #2. He will be a developmental prospect.
Agreed
Bomber fan for life

buckzumhoff

Spend too much on streveller might be ok
 As long as bombers put up alot of points. If he wants to come back as he says why is he wanting so much money

gobombersgo

Quote from: theaardvark on January 21, 2024, 04:19:55 AMI want Sterveler or Prukop as #3, and the best rookie we can find who wins the #2 spot in camp.

Delevoping a QB is overrated in my opinion. Just field the best possible QBs you can regardless of where they came from.

QBs rarely stick with the team that brought them into the league. You need to look no further than Dru Brown as an example.

There is a high likelihood that Zach's eventual replacement will come from another team.

theaardvark

Quote from: gobombersgo on January 21, 2024, 02:27:42 PMDelevoping a QB is overrated in my opinion. Just field the best possible QBs you can regardless of where they came from.

QBs rarely stick with the team that brought them into the league. You need to look no further than Dru Brown as an example.

There is a high likelihood that Zach's eventual replacement will come from another team.

Developing a QB is not a talent issue, it is an economic issue.  The only reason we had Dru here was he was on an ELC.  We could afford to have a talented guy in the wings.

If we sign a retread CFL QB worth signing, it will NOT be at an ELC level.

Will we find a rookie QB that is talented enough to play #2?  I hope so.  And then we can have a Prokup/Streveler at a higher cost as our #3.  I'd want a talented rookie coming in and developing and maybe winning, rather than a QB that might not lose.

If we don't replace a QB from within, we will be paying a premium to replace Collaros.  And that might even be Dru. I really question Walters decision here, I hope I am proved wrong, but I think when CGY moved on from Mitchell to go with Maier, they weren't all wrong...   there was no way Buck, MOS or Walters would ever move on from Collaros, they are far to dedicated to vets, and Collaros hasn't played himself off this team, but Dru might have been the best chance of winning in 2025... 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: gobombersgo on January 21, 2024, 02:27:42 PMDelevoping a QB is overrated in my opinion. Just field the best possible QBs you can regardless of where they came from.

Kind of pointless worrying about Zach's retirement and who will potentially replace him at this point, in the CFL plans rarely proceed in an orderly fashion.  They'll adjust to it when it happens with the options available, not 2 years in advance.  Till then, there are a couple more Grey Cups to play for and many games to be won. 

My rule of thumb is if a backup QB can win 50% of the games he starts while filling in, that's the expectation.  I'm confident Strev. could fill that requirement and bring more upside than any backup QB they could pick up this off-season, as long as the Bombers can meet his asking price.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 21, 2024, 03:43:25 PMKind of pointless worrying about Zach's retirement and who will potentially replace him at this point, in the CFL plans rarely proceed in an orderly fashion.  They'll adjust to it when it happens with the options available, not 2 years in advance.  Till then, there are a couple more Grey Cups to play for and many games to be won. 

My rule of thumb is if a backup QB can win 50% of the games he starts while filling in, that's the expectation.  I'm confident Strev. could fill that requirement and bring more upside than any backup QB they could pick up this off-season, as long as the Bombers can meet his asking price.

With a GC winning team around him, Streveler was 3 and 5 as a starter with the team going 8 and 2 the rest of the games.

He is a great player, but running the team for an entire game does not seem to have been his strength.

Is he the same QB today?  With NFL coaching?  Who knows what way that goes.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on January 21, 2024, 04:02:53 PMWith a GC winning team around him, Streveler was 3 and 5 as a starter with the team going 8 and 2 the rest of the games.

He is a great player, but running the team for an entire game does not seem to have been his strength.

Is he the same QB today?  With NFL coaching?  Who knows what way that goes.

I don't care. We're not trying to sign him to be our starter.
My wife is amazing!