Streveler signed to one year deal - updated topic

Started by Norm W, January 12, 2024, 06:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm W

Surprised I'm the 1st to mention it! Read on 3downnation yesterday that he has expressed interest in returning to the CFL and the Bombers are 1st on his list of spots he would play, the article went on to say they are presently in talks. With idea the Dru finds a starting gig elsewhere I don't see Chris starting anywhere... #2 might be a good fit to extend his desire to play ball in the long run.
No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire :)

blue_gold_84

It's being discussed in other threads. Jeff Hamilton broke the news on Twitter yesterday.

You're just the first to create a thread for the topic. ;)
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

Jockitch

if Strev signs, I'm betting that TC fans in the stands will be out in full force 
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

Sir Blue and Gold

Could work out well for us. I could see a one year deal towards the top of the backup salary range with big time bonuses per start if Collaros goes down. He'll probably need a year to get back into the CFL flow and that would be a good way to do it in a comfortable city he knows.

theaardvark

To replace Brown/Prukop in one player, and bring in a ELC development QB, kinda works. 

I'd still rather have Brown and an ELC short yardage guy...  but whatevs

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Prukop is a better SY guy than Strev, in terms of making 99% of his SY attempts.  Strev botched a few, FWIR.  However, Strev always had the threat of doing a decent pass downfield or running for 40 on SY, so there's that...

My point is, don't be so quick to throw away Prukop as he's very capable and affordable... our best since Le Fevour.  I watch SY / Prukop like a hawk(tm).

As for Strevie as our legit backup #2 and #1a/b combo like 2019... I'm all for it!  Teams always had a hard time getting their defenders ready for both Zach and Strev, and no one knew how many snaps we'd leave Strev in for.  And I think Strev can win you .500 or .600 if Zach gets hurt.

I still think Strev can find a starting job in the CFL; not because he's great, but because so many others suck.  But how does it make sense for us to replace Dru with Strev?  If Dru gets a #1 shot somewhere for >$400k, sure, fine, he's gone.  But if Dru is going to be a normal #2, or even high paid #1b for an iffy Masoli or BLM, then how is he going to get paid any more than Strev will earn?  My point is, in many scenarios the Strev cost will equal the Dru cost: so why wouldn't we stick with "the future" Dru?

If QB money is tight, then the most likely scenario is Zach / Prukop(SY) / new-dev-ELC-guy.  That is by far the cheapest option.
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blueforlife on January 13, 2024, 12:02:54 AM
https://3downnation.com/2024/01/11/qb-chris-streveler-eyeing-return-to-cfl-in-2024-has-begun-talks-with-bombers-report/

Strev would sell tickets

I would take Brown over Strev in a heartbeat

I would sign Strev but gotta be cheapish

Ya Strev would sell tickets... but do we really need to sell more tix?  Enough sell-outs as it is!  ;)

Strev would have to be under $200 for sure, and signing him probably means we can't afford Prukop anymore.  Strev would have to be #1b, #2 and SY, and we'd have to do a raw ELC guy as #3/dev.  It would be a weird scenario where our SY is #2 again, and the dev guy is basically PS and garbage-time only.

I really hope KW doesn't do foolish things like back up the truck for Strev when we don't really need him.  Need to focus on the puzzle pieces from the '23 GC...
Never go full Rider!

Pete

Streveler is an upgrade over Prukop in every way, with the bonus of more ticket sales. He opens up a lot of options by putting him in on 2nd and 4 or 5 or even for a few sets. Unfortunately Prukop really was only useful in 3rd and 1 situations.

Blueforlife

KW doesn't back the truck up for anyone but top stars

dd

I would make designing brown the priority over CS. There?s no way in heck streveller would have pulled us out of the 22-0 pounding we were taking at the hands of the lowly elks and win the game for us. No way. His passing skills are limited and that?s why his nfl dreams are over. Sign brown and wherever cs goes all the best to him

Pete

unfortunately other teams feel the same way, Brown will be too expensive. The advantage to Streveler is that we can utilize him more in games to change the pace, or to augment our offence. Browns advantage is that if he was needed to start a game he would be more effective. (which is why hes likely to get 250k plus bonus money for every start with a team like Ottawa)

Lincoln Locomotive

I definitely think we can't afford Streveler and Prukop behind Zach's salary.    If Brown is a foregone conclusion and is leaving us then I think Walters will be all in on Strevvy as our #2 and quite honestly I'm happy with that as we can then pick up a #3 guy and develop him.    Strevvy is pretty durable and tough as nails however he's a few years older now and if he gets injured then our #3 guy needs to also have some SY capabilities.   
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 12, 2024, 11:47:04 PM
Prukop is a better SY guy than Strev, in terms of making 99% of his SY attempts.  Strev botched a few, FWIR.  However, Strev always had the threat of doing a decent pass downfield or running for 40 on SY, so there's that...

My point is, don't be so quick to throw away Prukop as he's very capable and affordable... our best since Le Fevour.  I watch SY / Prukop like a hawk(tm).

As for Strevie as our legit backup #2 and #1a/b combo like 2019... I'm all for it!  Teams always had a hard time getting their defenders ready for both Zach and Strev, and no one knew how many snaps we'd leave Strev in for.  And I think Strev can win you .500 or .600 if Zach gets hurt.

I still think Strev can find a starting job in the CFL; not because he's great, but because so many others suck.  But how does it make sense for us to replace Dru with Strev?  If Dru gets a #1 shot somewhere for >$400k, sure, fine, he's gone.  But if Dru is going to be a normal #2, or even high paid #1b for an iffy Masoli or BLM, then how is he going to get paid any more than Strev will earn?  My point is, in many scenarios the Strev cost will equal the Dru cost: so why wouldn't we stick with "the future" Dru?

If QB money is tight, then the most likely scenario is Zach / Prukop(SY) / new-dev-ELC-guy.  That is by far the cheapest option.

Well, I have to say I completely disagree with you on Strev vs. Prukop. I'll take Strev any day of the week. We tried to what Strev does with Prukop, but it failed miserably and cost us the Grey Cup in '22. So, yes. Prukop doubled down on just performing the sneak to perfection. But it is not at all what Strev did for us.

As for Dru Brown, we aren't making the choice to move on, he is. Walters has said that even if we could afford him, he would still leave. It's not about getting a starting contract or being the Day 1 starter, it's about finding a place with more opportunity. Zach is the starter here barring injury; on other teams, it's less concrete.
My wife is amazing!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 12, 2024, 11:47:04 PM

I'm thinking the same thing. We have 600k tied up in QB's before we even sign a 2nd one. Strev is the same problem Brown would be. Walters has himself painted into a corner. What did we spend on QB's last year? around 800? That leaves us just 200k for 2 additional guys.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers