Our Free Agent's Signings Are in Limbo Until Brady & Dalton Make Their Moves

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, January 11, 2024, 08:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Ridermania on February 07, 2024, 08:17:15 PMDL Ricky Walker to Calgary.

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/07/sources-calgary-stampeders-agree-to-terms-with-dl-ricky-walker/

Crap, the loss of Walker and possibly Jeffcoat could have major repercussions for the entire D. Historically without a sustained rush, the Secondary turns to mush.  Offence is golden but defence is looking questionable at this point.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Ridermania on February 07, 2024, 08:17:15 PMDL Ricky Walker to Calgary.

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/07/sources-calgary-stampeders-agree-to-terms-with-dl-ricky-walker/
Looks like it's first food then philosophy as locker room culture only goes so far....players have short careers and need to feed their families.  I could see this day coming sooner or later.....
Bomber fan for life

Pete

whats incredible is that what seemed like what we thought were huge over asks by players are now considered team friendly deals.
It will be interesting to see if any of the free agents signed go back to their original teams once the communication period is over.

theaardvark

I can't see any player wanting to go back to a team that did not offer them enough the first time.  Upping the offer again just because someone else committed to more is not good GMing, and after its been annouced that you are signing with a rival, does a coach/fan want you back?

None of these contracts were offered in a vacuum.  We had plenty of time to offer Walker what Calgary did, or close to it.  They obviously offered a lot more than our budget was, and we decided not to pay him what he felt was enough. 

I do not think there is a player out there that I would use the 48 hour period to keep.  If they've decided to accept another offer, good for them, we'll find another player.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

We all knew this was going to happen. All our money has been spent on the O. Hall mite be happy he's not the D coordinator this season. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

dd

I thought Calgary had decent DT's in Wiggan and Rose, now Walker, mustn't be signing someone, I'd take either  one of Rose or Wiggan here...

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on February 07, 2024, 11:05:04 PMI thought Calgary had decent DT's in Wiggan and Rose, now Walker, mustn't be signing someone, I'd take either  one of Rose or Wiggan here...

Wiggan is still available and a Natl. to boot, just wouldn't come cheap.  Rose has been re-signed.

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Guys, we literally let our import DT go to free agency every year. That spot is one we simply fill through recruitment to allow us to spend up on other positions.
My wife is amazing!

ModAdmin

Jeff Hamilton
@jeffkhamilton
57m
Hearing the Bombers and all-star safety Brandon Alexander are getting close to reaching a contract. Winnipeg is also in talks with K Sergio Castillo, but there's still some work to be done.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pete

The argos and us are the only teams in the league that hasn't signed a free agent from another team. Looks like the gap will be closing between the top teams and the rest. (salary cap will do that)
It was neccessary due to the increases we needed to give out to retain key players but still concerning.

Blueforlife

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 07, 2024, 08:29:34 PMCrap, the loss of Walker and possibly Jeffcoat could have major repercussions for the entire D. Historically without a sustained rush, the Secondary turns to mush.  Offence is golden but defence is looking questionable at this point.
Massive loss but can't keep them all, a very good player

kkc60

I'm torn. It sucks losing him now, because similar to Houston it feels like this season he finally got a chance and is only going to improve. It's unfortunate that he won't be here to do it. That being said, as a run defender he did not offer as much as guys like Nevis, Richardson, Sayles or even peak Thomas. As a pass rusher, he was very good although it seemed he must've had a RTP called against him every other week.

kkc60

Quote from: Pigskin on February 07, 2024, 10:52:09 PMWe all knew this was going to happen. All our money has been spent on the O. Hall mite be happy he's not the D coordinator this season. 
eh, honestly I am fine with the allocation going to offense. Defensive pieces have proven to be what the bombers specialize at scouting and developing. That being said, I am intrigued as to what guys like Bighill, Wilson and Thomas are making. Cole and Lawson seem ready to become starters, hopefully these other guys aren't holding back their development and taking a large chunk of the cap too

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bunker on February 07, 2024, 02:01:39 AMJake Thomas taking a bit of a cut now that Lawson will be the starter. Also, apparently Bryant took a bit less. So I assume this is how Walters made it all work.

Do you have a source for that?  I hadn't heard that.

The crazy thing is with Walker walking, maybe both Fatboi and Lawson start!  Maybe we start like 9 NATs this year!!  I sure hope not...  Time to pull a good IMP ELC DT out of our magic scouting hat...
Never go full Rider!