Expendable CFL Players?

Started by ModAdmin, January 03, 2024, 12:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

The following article should stir some discussion.  Would you sign any of those mentioned in the 3rdDown article?

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/01/out-with-the-old-one-veteran-free-agent-every-cfl-team-should-deem-expendable-in-2024/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

I think most are going to be looking for too much $$$. Age and on the downside of careers on the list.

Gray depends on whether we lose one or more OL and what our alternative choices including draft looks like for 2024. The possible need to trim SMS may put him on that list but it's a fluid comment. It's a long way to free agency and who we want to retain and who we can retain is all TBD. There is a chance that we lose one Canadian OL and / or we decide to start Eli or Dobson in 2024. That may push a 2023 starter to more of a 6th man role and / or off the roster.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 03, 2024, 12:57:58 AM
The following article should stir some discussion.  Would you sign any of those mentioned in the 3rdDown article?

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/01/out-with-the-old-one-veteran-free-agent-every-cfl-team-should-deem-expendable-in-2024/

Clickbait article, desperate to stir the pot.

ModAdmin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 03, 2024, 04:12:44 PM

There is at least some rationale for not resigning several of these players.  I have a suspicion  that, for example, Whitehead will not be resigned by the Lions assuming they are able to find a decent replacement for Hatcher who likely will not be ready to start the season.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 03, 2024, 04:12:44 PM

Is any article on 3DN not clickbait, though?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Lincoln Locomotive

Bomber fan for life

ModAdmin

It's like pretty well all media.  A part of their objective is to be controversial.  They attract attention and readers with those comments.  It's part of the business.  What they say is up for dissecting and criticism.  Most media have an agenda and promote that agenda.  This 3rdDown article clearly was intended to spark a debate/discussion.  Is some of their assessment accurate?  I think so.  Is some of it controversial?  I think so.  But a lot of people are going to debate and discuss it.  That too is accurate.

TecnoGenius

From the lede I was expecting this to be about shedding the oldest of old from the teams (33+ year olds).  But it's really all about 28-31 year olds.  But I'll bite:

Gray: I've been complaining about him since he first started.  3D nails it: "the way his hometown team expected".  He was hyped so much I always expected the next Walby on day 1.  But he turned out to not even be a Desjarlais.  Him and Ko-man have consistently had A-gap problems, even into this last GC, although much improved from 2022.

But Gray has been getting consistently, progressively, slowly better.  The A-gap problem is be minimized.  Gray has great heart and a nice nasty streak.  He's always going downfield and putting on hits right to the whistle.  He's the first to be in the EZ celebrating with the Rs or RBs.

I think it's clear he'll never graduate to tackle as we hoped.  But that's ok.  The only question now is: is Dobson or Eli better right now?  I'm pretty sure the answer is no.  Also, did Ko-man cause more problems than Gray?  I don't care about the grading: to my eyes they seemed about equal.

To get someone better than Gray in FA would cost more than Gray would to retain.  So the whole idea is kind of silly.  We tend to only lose good OL when they want the world in FA.  Is Gray that type?  We'll see.  But if he's the "weak link", why would other teams give him a huge payday?

Bottom line: I'm keeping him.

Lucky: He's been bad ever since his first injury in BC.  No one is happy about that as he's generally likeable.  However, no one else will want him so BC should just offer him something chintzy like $100k and keep him for fan morale and general flamboyance.  The fans do love him.  Too bad he was never able to transition into a Speedy B type... he just doesn't have any hands.

Everyone else I agree on, except Mauldin, who I'd take in a heartbeat.  And maybe Oakman.  And Moncreif probably has a few more seasons, even though I don't want him.
Never go full Rider!

kkc60

i think Gray is more of a tackle build. As it stands, I agree on his expendability unless Kolankowski is gone. Eli and Dobson are ready for more.

blue_or_die

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 07, 2024, 03:50:23 AM
It's like pretty well all media.  A part of their objective is to be controversial.  They attract attention and readers with those comments.  It's part of the business.  What they say is up for dissecting and criticism.  Most media have an agenda and promote that agenda.  This 3rdDown article clearly was intended to spark a debate/discussion.  Is some of their assessment accurate?  I think so.  Is some of it controversial?  I think so.  But a lot of people are going to debate and discuss it.  That too is accurate.

3DN is an extreme example of what you've lumped together as "all media". It's very tabloid-y.
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 09, 2024, 05:59:21 PM
3DN is an extreme example of what you've lumped together as "all media". It's very tabloid-y.

I do appreciate that 3DN collect and publish CFL information from all sources in one place, saves a lot of time searching around looking for the latest CFL news.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 09, 2024, 06:38:17 PM
I do appreciate that 3DN collect and publish CFL information from all sources in one place, saves a lot of time searching around looking for the latest CFL news.

I appreciate and support their existence, while taking everything that they post with a gigantic grain of salt.
My wife is amazing!