Blue Bombers re-sign defensive back Deatrick Nichols

Started by ModAdmin, December 21, 2023, 03:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers re-sign defensive back Deatrick Nichols

WINNIPEG, MB., December 21, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms on a two-year extension with American defensive back Deatrick Nichols. He was scheduled to become a free agent in February.

Nichols (5-9, 180, USF; born: June 8, 1994, in Miami, FL) returns in 2024 for his 4th Canadian Football League season - all with the Blue Bombers.

A two-time CFL all-star, Nichols originally signed as a free agent in February of 2021, Nichols has played in 47 career regular season games for Winnipeg, recording 126 defensive tackles, one sack, four interceptions and one forced fumble, and has been a mainstay in the club's defensive backfield since 2021.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

bwiser

Huge signing, the best Db in the CFL is back for two more seasons. Keep the signings coming.

theaardvark

Well, anyone doubting whether we can keep the core of the team is now seeing what having a competent GM is all about...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on December 21, 2023, 04:21:12 PM
Well, anyone doubting whether we can keep the core of the team is now seeing what having a competent GM is all about...

Very nice to have him back. And, another two year deal.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on December 21, 2023, 04:21:12 PM

Was anyone worried we wouldn't be able to sign our core?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on December 21, 2023, 05:00:58 PM
Very nice to have him back. And, another two year deal.

Yes, this is the most unusual part of all the signing announcements so far... we usually don't see this many 2-years.  And once again we're signing another top/key guy first.

Are we pulling out the "play in the GC at home in 2025 and go down in history" card to get all of these 2 year deals??

Love me some Nichols!!  Now... change to #15 so my jersey(s!) can be useful again!!  :P
Never go full Rider!

bwiser

The Bombers have signed their two most important free agents on the defensive side of the ball in Jefferson and Nichols. There are still a few more pieces that need to be signed on the defensive side of the ball but the hardest players to sign are on the Offensive side of the ball. Olivera and Shoen are going to be difficult to sign but not impossible. I don't think Olivera will go any where as I don't think he would get a fair shot in the NFL even though he is probably good enough to start on a number of teams.

Sir Blue and Gold

Big signing. Probably our best pure cover guy. If he was a few years younger and four inches taller he'd probably be a slot corner in the NFL somewhere.

GOLDMEMBER

Most needed secondary player. Good re-up here for sure.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on December 22, 2023, 02:31:40 PM
Big signing. Probably our best pure cover guy. If he was a few years younger and four inches taller he'd probably be a slot corner in the NFL somewhere.

I guess he can retain that title now that Holm is on his way out the door, later part of the season OC's were avoiding Holm more than Nichols.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 22, 2023, 04:01:55 PM
I guess he can retain that title now that Holm is on his way out the door, later part of the season OC's were avoiding Holm more than Nichols.
what's the status of Holm?   He was definitely one of our better DBs along with Nichols
Bomber fan for life

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 22, 2023, 04:01:55 PM

Holm getting a look is far from him "moving on".  Dozens of CFL players get a look, a few get an actual offer.  We wish him well, but I'm not counting him out starting week one here.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on December 22, 2023, 04:37:21 PM
Holm getting a look is far from him "moving on".  Dozens of CFL players get a look, a few get an actual offer.  We wish him well, but I'm not counting him out starting week one here.

I think the only thing that will prevent Holm from catching a ride on the NFL merry-go-round for a year or three is his physical frailty.  The way he defends against passes is quite amazing to watch, and he does it over and over again, I think his game film will impress a lot of football people.

blue_or_die

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 22, 2023, 02:21:45 AM
Yes, this is the most unusual part of all the signing announcements so far... we usually don't see this many 2-years.  And once again we're signing another top/key guy first.

Are we pulling out the "play in the GC at home in 2025 and go down in history" card to get all of these 2 year deals??

Love me some Nichols!!  Now... change to #15 so my jersey(s!) can be useful again!!  :P

I was always hoping this was the case ever since we got named host in '25. That is our milestone.
#Ride?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on December 22, 2023, 04:10:56 PM
what's the status of Holm?   He was definitely one of our better DBs along with Nichols

I don't have any info on Holm.  But I did want to say that after rewatching the GC his INT was probably the best defensive play by a Bomber all year.  He high-pointed it backwards/upsidedown like the top receivers do, and he out-receivered Mack in a contested catch, who is or soon will be a top-3 CFL WR.

All this and Holm is, I'm guessing, several inches shorter than Mack.

A completely insane play that should be remembered for years to come, even if we did lose.  He didn't really INT much in-season, but he sure got one when it counted.  It should have been enough for us to win...

We found & dev'd Holm, and gave him his big pro shot.  Hopefully he stays with us a while.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on December 22, 2023, 04:10:56 PM

Holm has already worked out for the Vikes and today/yesterday it was announced he's also working out for the Denver Broncos.