Blue Bombers re-sign all-star guard Pat Neufeld

Started by ModAdmin, December 18, 2023, 04:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers re-sign all-star guard Pat Neufeld

WINNIPEG, MB., December 18, 2024 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms on a one-year extension with Canadian Football League All-Star guard Pat Neufeld.

Neufeld
was scheduled to become a free agent in February.

Neufeld (6-6, 311, University of Saskatchewan; born: December 26, 1988, in Regina, Sask.) returns in 2024 for his 11th season with the Blue Bombers and 13th in the Canadian Football League, including his days with Saskatchewan (2011-13).

Named a CFL All-Star for the third time in his career in 2023, Neufeld started 17 regular-season games this past season along with the West Final and 110th Grey Cup. The Blue Bombers finished first in scoring in 2023 and Neufeld was part of an offensive line that helped Brady Oliveira rush for a league-best 1,534 yards in earning his first rushing title.

Originally drafted by the Roughriders in 2010, Neufeld was acquired by Winnipeg in a trade in 2013 and has become a fixture at the right guard spot. He has now played in 153 CFL games, including 116 with the Blue Bombers, and now makes Winnipeg home.
'Heart
Neufeld was also honoured as the 2021 recipient of the club's Cal Murphy 'Heart of a Legend Award' presented annually to the player who has shown 'outstanding sportsmanship and dedication to the Canadian Football League and the community.' 
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

VictorRomano

Good signing.  Here's hoping he can stay healthy and finish out his career in Blue & Gold.

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Glad to have him back. We might see all or nearly all of our OL back but age, SMS and roster spots are all factors in the process. I'm wondering if Richmond considers re-signing or moving elsewhere for a chance to start.

IIRC, he's seen some reps at both LT and RT in games where we used mostly back ups. It's interesting that he's been kept around for several seasons on the PR with no clear path to start.

Retirement at OT or a chance to create some savings in the SMS would seem to be a now or never in his situation. I can't see him agreeing to go back to the PR for another season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

I don't see him ever going back on our PR nor do I see him starting at a tackle position. He's a great guard though...

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on December 18, 2023, 11:43:39 PM
I don't see him ever going back on our PR nor do I see him starting at a tackle position. He's a great guard though...

Richmond?  Problem is moving him to guard would displace a Natl.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 19, 2023, 01:15:15 AM
Richmond?  Problem is moving him to guard would displace a Natl.

We have plenty of starting Nats, but we do actually have extra Nat interior linemen, so using an American at G is a waste...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Neufeld whiffed on at least one in the GC when it mattered... But he was solid all year and was rarely the problem.  So 35 this year?  We're really pushing the envelope on average age of the entire OL.

I hope we didn't have to break the bank to keep him.  He probably took a bit of a stay-with-the-team discount.

We sure are good at OL retention and acquisition when required (DP).  I was watching the OL like a hawk on my GC rewatch and they all had a turn whiffing... we miss Couture.  Ko-man is good and I think can get better, but Couture was a lock in the center.  Gray still has the occasional Gray A-gap problem.  And both OTs got burned at least once.  It's actually sad and depressing that MTL OL did much better, including our throw-away McGloster!!  Need to figure out why that was and fix it...

I'm sure someone here told me a while back... is the '13 Neufeld trade the one we made for DT (or DE?) Turner.  If so... we sure made out like bandits on that deal!!  Whoever was GM then, give him a cigar... hey wait, did we already have KW then?  Funny how these things all work out.
Never go full Rider!

DCM

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 19, 2023, 04:04:25 AM
Neufeld whiffed on at least one in the GC when it mattered... But he was solid all year and was rarely the problem.  So 35 this year?  We're really pushing the envelope on average age of the entire OL.

I hope we didn't have to break the bank to keep him.  He probably took a bit of a stay-with-the-team discount.

We sure are good at OL retention and acquisition when required (DP).  I was watching the OL like a hawk on my GC rewatch and they all had a turn whiffing... we miss Couture.  Ko-man is good and I think can get better, but Couture was a lock in the center.  Gray still has the occasional Gray A-gap problem.  And both OTs got burned at least once.  It's actually sad and depressing that MTL OL did much better, including our throw-away McGloster!!  Need to figure out why that was and fix it...

I'm sure someone here told me a while back... is the '13 Neufeld trade the one we made for DT (or DE?) Turner.  If so... we sure made out like bandits on that deal!!  Whoever was GM then, give him a cigar... hey wait, did we already have KW then?  Funny how these things all work out.
Patrick Neufeld and a 4th round pick in the 2015 CFL Draft from the Saskatchewan Roughriders in exchange for import defensive end Alex Hall and a 2nd round pick in the 2014 CFL Draft.

Riders took Dylan Ainsworth, Bombers took Christophe Normand.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

bwiser

I almost hope that Bryant retires as that would free up some cap room and I fear that the whole line may retire at once which would be tough to replace that quickly. I am a Steelers fan and I saw what happens when two All Pros retire at once. The Steelers haven't been the same since.

Jesse

Quote from: bwiser on December 19, 2023, 02:11:52 PM
I almost hope that Bryant retires as that would free up some cap room and I fear that the whole line may retire at once which would be tough to replace that quickly. I am a Steelers fan and I saw what happens when two All Pros retire at once. The Steelers haven't been the same since.

I can't really see a situation in which Bryant retiring makes us better.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Quote from: bwiser on December 19, 2023, 02:11:52 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if SB retired. He going to be 38, last season he wasn't as dominate as he has been in past seasons. His $200K salary would help the team sign some important pieces, but do we have someone that can replace him?

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on December 19, 2023, 04:02:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if SB retired. He going to be 38, last season he wasn't as dominate as he has been in past seasons. His $200K salary would help the team sign some important pieces, but do we have someone that can replace him?  

I agree, don't want them going into next season with a hunky-dory status quo attitude after coming off consecutive Cup losses.  Walters needs to get on with the renewal process.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on December 19, 2023, 03:16:43 PM
I can't really see a situation in which Bryant retiring makes us better.

+1

Losing Bryant would be felt on the O-line and on the team pretty much immediately, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.