If the Bombers lose Dru Brown

Started by bwiser, December 12, 2023, 10:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

gteat video (sorry for the misspellings rough day) but we should recruit chad powers

theaardvark

If we lose Dru, its next recruit up. 

We have a lot of good QB's on our neg list, and if we can't sign one of those, there are more.

We do NOT want a retread or almost was...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

the issue is having a #2 with no cfl experience, especially with OShea/Buck . Offensively its the hardest position to learn vs american football. We do bring in rookie qbs and see what they have but it's hard to bank on one. (remember Pigrome?) it all depends on whose available ie Shlitz Powell. It would be a hard pass on Arbuckle, Corneius, and FIne

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on December 13, 2023, 08:59:59 AM
Stevens was resigned by Calgary on November 29th.

Totally not shocked.  He's a keeper as a great SY and let's-see-what-we-got possible #2 or #1 down the road.

Quote from: Pete on December 14, 2023, 01:40:10 AM
We do bring in rookie qbs and see what they have but it's hard to bank on one. (remember Pigrome?)

Actually PiggyT looked pretty good when allowed to throw.  What he sucked at was SY, both here and wherever else he went to in 2023.  If nothing else was around, brining PiggyT back to be #2 / dev guy could be interesting.

... unless the "head case" stuff we were catching glimpses of are for realz.  He seemed to be in his own little world.  But then again, so did MBT.  We'd have to see how it plays out, outside of the SY plays.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Quote from: Pete on December 14, 2023, 01:40:10 AM
the issue is having a #2 with no cfl experience, especially with OShea/Buck . Offensively its the hardest position to learn vs american football. We do bring in rookie qbs and see what they have but it's hard to bank on one. (remember Pigrome?) it all depends on whose available ie Shlitz Powell. It would be a hard pass on Arbuckle, Corneius, and FIne
\

Powell and Pigrome aren't free agents, so we don't have to worry about either of those guys. Shiltz is a guy I like. He is very mobile, and with are O I think he could do well. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

bluebeard

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 12, 2023, 11:04:03 PM
Yup, if Brown walks then we find the next Brown.  If we did it before, we can do it again.

Not to be too harsh, but that entire list of guys sucks and I bet the number of those guys being a desired #1 starter on any team in 3 years will be zero or one.  Sure, some guys will be forced into starter due to injury or horrifically bad GM moves, like Fine and Dolegala were in 2023, but no one will be chasing after any of these guys to be their legit #1 for $500k in FA.

I agree with both you you that Schiltz is the most promising of the bunch.  He seems like he could be a VAJ -- in the league forever and finally shows some ability to be a #1.  The older ones in that crowd are clearly perennial #2's or SY guys.  The younger ones may have 1 guy going somewhere, but I doubt it.  Stevens could be interesting if he starts showing he can throw, but for now he strikes me as a LeFevor (superb SY guy, bad at everything else).

Our last 2 of 3 #2 QB finds turned out way better than anyone could have imagined (Strev & Brown).  McGuire was a bust as a possible #1, but was great SY.  I'd call Dom a bust too, as he really never became more than a SY guy, and he had plenty of chances (starts as #1).  But the fact Brown & Strev could have been / were / should be decent #1 starters shows that our scouts can find that next guy on ELC.  So let's do it again!

If I absolutely had to take a retread because we had no #2, Schiltz, Stevens and even Dane Evans would be the only guys I'd look at.  But why pay the retread $200k to probably not play than take a chance on a rookie ELC @$100k for 2 years?

And even though it may not be pretty, Prukop could start a couple of games for us in a pinch.  Just make it a run-heavy game plan.

Really hard now that the XFL and the USFL are also looking for the next good QB that the NFL has missed.  Just to many teams looking for the better QB.  If both the XFL and the USFL folded we could incorporate some of those QBs into the CFL.  Until they do, it will be hard slugging to find the next great QB.

Blue In BC

Quote from: bluebeard on December 14, 2023, 02:35:28 PM
Really hard now that the XFL and the USFL are also looking for the next good QB that the NFL has missed.  Just to many teams looking for the better QB.  If both the XFL and the USFL folded we could incorporate some of those QBs into the CFL.  Until they do, it will be hard slugging to find the next great QB.

Did you know that the XFL and USFL leagues have merged? Reports are that only 8 teams will be part of the new league. 8 teams will be distributed in some way. However, that will make the pool bigger not smaller. In theory there will be 8 entire rosters that will result in player releases etc.  I did hear something about remaining teams expanding their rosters but that's a TBD.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Ideally it would be a pipe dream to retain Dru however that could only happen if Zach restructured his remaining contract to allow the Bombers to Dru more than just a backups salary.    Can't see that happening though as Zach still had great numbers last season, despite his penchant for throwing untimely picks.    Personally I believe it would allow Dru even more time to learn his craft while making a decent salary and stepping in as a well groomed starter when Zach retires.   As I said it's a "pipe dream" at best and unfortunately, it's not steeped in reality!   Dare to dream!?
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on December 14, 2023, 04:22:26 AM
\

Powell and Pigrome aren't free agents, so we don't have to worry about either of those guys. Shiltz is a guy I like. He is very mobile, and with are O I think he could do well. 

Hamilton will hang onto Powell for the future, but there is a good chance Pigrome gets cut based on what the RB's intend to do with Masoli, whether they go after Brown or any other QB's in FA, or bring into TC. Crum seems to have established himself as the likely #2, and Tyrie Adams probably slots as #3.  Almost anyway you slice it Pigrome ends up as the #4 QB.  Forgot about Arbuckle, so he's in the mix too.

If Walters knows he's going to lose Brown, trading his rights to the RB's for Adams or Crum would be an excellent move.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 14, 2023, 05:28:06 PM
Hamilton will hang onto Powell for the future, but there is a good chance Pigrome gets cut based on what the RB's intend to do with Masoli, whether they go after Brown or any other QB's in FA, or bring into TC. Crum seems to have established himself as the likely #2, and Tyrie Adams probably slots as #3.  Almost anyway you slice it Pigrome ends up as the #4 QB.  Forgot about Arbuckle, so he's in the mix too.

If Walters knows he's going to lose Brown, trading his rights to the RB's for Adams or Crum would be an excellent move.

You don't often see trading a players rights that is going to be a free agent in 60 days. It does happen but for a shot at a top player for a conditional pick based on that layer signing with the team.

I don't think Brown falls into this category. There will be a window where potential free agents can discuss signing elsewhere with a trade being necessary.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

I love to develop but I would be happy to see someone brought in as next year we will have a shot at the cup again if we can retain our key vets and bring some killer nenew faces in to fill the gaps.  A healthy competition at camp at QB will be welcome.

I wouldn't want to have to give up anything to bring in a #2 QB.
Sometimes you need a fresh start

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on December 14, 2023, 04:22:26 AM
Powell and Pigrome aren't free agents, so we don't have to worry about either of those guys.

Like TLB said, a lot of "signed" guys (especially newer guys) could be cut outright.  I don't think any non-legit-#1-QB is safe in their job at the moment and I could see a lot of QB movement, whether cuts, trades, whatever.

I know KW doesn't operate this way... but why not sign Dru at around what he'd take to stay here (say $25k less than his other best offer?) with an eye on shedding him in the early/mid season as trade bait?  Realistically what is Dru worth if people think he can be a #1 but no one is sure?  $250k?  $300k?  Surely not more?  Ok, so sign Dru for that, knowing we can't afford it and just sit back and wait for all the iffy QBs to prove once again they don't "have it", and then dangle Dru at those desperate teams for a 1RDP and maybe a good IMP we need if holes arise.  It's a crazy idea, but 2018-2020 TOR was hoarding quality QBs (including Zach) for no discernable reason and doing something similar!

The best part of that idea is if (heaven forbid) Zach goes down early in the season we have our winning backup guy in place vs a brand new dev guy.

What do you think SSK would have traded for Dru once it was clear Fine and Dolegala couldn't win anything?  Some team(s) will be in that boat again in 2024, guaranteed.
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 15, 2023, 02:31:56 AM
Like TLB said, a lot of "signed" guys (especially newer guys) could be cut outright.  I don't think any non-legit-#1-QB is safe in their job at the moment and I could see a lot of QB movement, whether cuts, trades, whatever.

I know KW doesn't operate this way... but why not sign Dru at around what he'd take to stay here (say $25k less than his other best offer?) with an eye on shedding him in the early/mid season as trade bait?  Realistically what is Dru worth if people think he can be a #1 but no one is sure?  $250k?  $300k?  Surely not more?  Ok, so sign Dru for that, knowing we can't afford it and just sit back and wait for all the iffy QBs to prove once again they don't "have it", and then dangle Dru at those desperate teams for a 1RDP and maybe a good IMP we need if holes arise.  It's a crazy idea, but 2018-2020 TOR was hoarding quality QBs (including Zach) for no discernable reason and doing something similar!

The best part of that idea is if (heaven forbid) Zach goes down early in the season we have our winning backup guy in place vs a brand new dev guy.

What do you think SSK would have traded for Dru once it was clear Fine and Dolegala couldn't win anything?  Some team(s) will be in that boat again in 2024, guaranteed.
Makes sense....
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 15, 2023, 02:31:56 AM

Why would Dru agree to that?

It puts him in the worst possible situation when he moves to a new team. If he's going to leave, he's going to want to pick what he believes is the best place for him and actually go through training camp with that team.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

I'm just here for the off-season mental gymnastics. **munches popcorn**
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.