Jefferson is back

Started by bwiser, December 04, 2023, 09:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwiser

Good news today as Jefferson is coming back for another season. No word on the terms of the deal other than it is a one year deal. Its a good day in Winnipeg as Niederieter has resigned with the Jets as well.

theaardvark

Guessing there was a little bit of cheese left in the 2023 budget, enough to entice Willie to sign early.  One of the most mportant signings, because its not just keeping him here, but he is a great asset in recruitment.He actually got Lemon to consider Winnipeg (too bad we already had two top notch DE's under contract)
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Good news to get him back so early. Not sure if it's an indication of having some 2023 SMS left. Anyway. One down and 35 to go. :)
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 04, 2023, 10:07:52 PM
Good news to get him back so early. Not sure if it's an indication of having some 2023 SMS left. Anyway. One down and 35 to go. :)

I imagine he will receive about the same pay as last season which was $200k, which ties him for 4th highest paid D-lineman in the league.

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers agree to terms on one-year extension with all-star defensive end Willie Jefferson

WINNIPEG, MB., December 4, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms with defensive end Willie Jefferson on a one-year extension. Jefferson was scheduled to become a free agent in February.

Jefferson (6-7, 242, Stephen F. Austin; born: January 31, 1991, in Beaumont, TX) returns in 2024 for his fifth season with the Blue Bombers and 10th in the Canadian Football League, including his days with Edmonton (2014-15) and Saskatchewan (2016-18).

Named a CFL All-Star for the fifth time in his career in 2023, Jefferson was also selected as the Blue Bombers' Most Outstanding Defensive Player for a third time after posting a team-leading 11 quarterback sacks, three forced fumbles - tied for second in the CFL - and 13 pass knockdowns (most in the league), and 21 defensive tackles.

In 2022, Jefferson became the first player in CFL history to record 50 career sacks and 50 pass knockdowns and his 37 career sacks ties him for ninth on the Blue Bombers all-time list.

Jefferson was also named the 2022 recipient of the Ed Kotowich 'Good Guy Award' which recognizes a Blue Bombers player who has 'excellent football ability, is a leader in the locker room and shows outstanding effort in the community.'
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Is Willie always on a one-year now a WFC ask or a Willie ask??  Or both?

I guess with vets getting guaranteed stuff after 1 year now, it could be both... one would think on the tail end of Willie's career that he'd like to lock a team in for 3.  That's the usual M.O. for ageing vets, isn't it?

In any event, it's great to have him signed and done.  It's clear KW's M.O. is to sign the huge names first to use as leverage and bait to lure the rest into staying.  It's worked for several years now.

Getting Brady or Schoen locked in would be the next logical step... And Jeffcoat.  And Stan/Yoshi.  Of course, assuming we aren't planning on letting a few of the "huge name" oldsters walk this year... I think Biggie is locked in for another season already?...
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Love it. Always a good sign to have a leader and veteran re-up early.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

VictorRomano

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 05, 2023, 02:37:13 AM
Getting Brady or Schoen locked in would be the next logical step... And Jeffcoat. 

This may be a hot take, but Jeffcoat has been making big cash yet only played parts of the last 2 seasons.  He's missed a not-insignificant amount of playing time.  Assuming he wants to test the FA market and holds out until February rather than re-sign with BC, I'd flip Jeffcoat's salary and make a serious run at Betts - he's younger (although maybe not cheaper), with more potential upside (I think Jeffcoat has peaked), and with the right passport.

Alternatively, I'd take the savings, scout out a rookie or journeyman DE, and use the saved cash to make Dru Brown the highest-paid non-starting QB in the league.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: VictorRomano on December 05, 2023, 01:39:41 PM
This may be a hot take, but Jeffcoat has been making big cash yet only played parts of the last 2 seasons.  He's missed a not-insignificant amount of playing time.  Assuming he wants to test the FA market and holds out until February rather than re-sign with BC, I'd flip Jeffcoat's salary and make a serious run at Betts - he's younger (although maybe not cheaper), with more potential upside (I think Jeffcoat has peaked), and with the right passport.

Alternatively, I'd take the savings, scout out a rookie or journeyman DE, and use the saved cash to make Dru Brown the highest-paid non-starting QB in the league.
Yes great to see Willie return!

Chances Brown resigns hear is a pipe dream to me.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jesse

Our team is much worse without Jeffcoat.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on December 05, 2023, 02:53:30 PM
Our team is much worse without Jeffcoat.

Agreed. I also don't see the Lions letting Betts walk; they'll pay up.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 05, 2023, 03:47:57 PM
Agreed. I also don't see the Lions letting Betts walk; they'll pay up.

Betts is from Montreal so that could factor into the equation. Given the same money he may choose living out east.

Two seasons in Edmonton and then two in Vancouver.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 05, 2023, 04:23:02 PM
Betts is from Montreal so that could factor into the equation. Given the same money he may choose living out east.

Two seasons in Edmonton and then two in Vancouver.

Good point, could see the potential of this happening, he'll probably be looking for at least $225k.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Jeffcoat's not that hungry, he either signs on for another year or hangs up his cleats, unlikely he starts over with another team.  Willie comes from different circumstance, poor from a big family, he's hustled all his life and was probably first in line at Walters door with contract and pen in hand. One more year!

Sir Blue and Gold

I'd pass on Jeffcoat, Bighill, Rose and Miller for sure.