Way Too Early Power Rankings (by 3rd DownNation)

Started by ModAdmin, December 02, 2023, 03:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Seems, as the writer says in the article below, It's Way Too Early, but here is their prognostication for 2024.  Note our Blue Bombers rank #4...

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/27/3downnation-power-rankings-als-climb-to-the-top-of-the-fking-mountain/#google_vignette
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

dd

Ya, its waaaay too early, and until teams navigate through Free Agency and retain/acquire players for their rosters, its a complete guess at this point in time, still, having the Bombers ranked 4th is a complete joke. And the Als-the Cinderella story of 2023, will not repeat in 2024

Jesse

Quote from: ModAdmin on December 02, 2023, 03:27:24 PM
Seems, as the writer says in the article beloiw, It's Way Too Early, but here is their prognostication for 2024.  Note our Blue Bombers rank #4...

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/27/3downnation-power-rankings-als-climb-to-the-top-of-the-fking-mountain/#google_vignette

What a hilarious batch of turds they?ve got over there.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: Jesse on December 02, 2023, 04:32:29 PM
What a hilarious batch of turds they?ve got over there.

Man, I made this comment before reading, but it was so much worse than I thought. What a bunch of nonsense, lol.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

At this point regarding Grey Cup predictions you might just as well place all the teams on the wheel of fortune and give it a spin.   I can point to the Als winning it all this season when they looked like a complete and utter dumpster fire early in the season.  Who on this forum would have predicted that Cody Fjardo under coach Jason Maas and GM Danny Maccocia would take the coveted prize back to Montreal??    

I was just watching a 1962 replay of the second game of a best of 3 western final between the Stamps and the Bombers.   The Stamps had a formidable defence anchored by MLB #55 Wayne Harris and they beat the Bombers in the first game by a score of 20-14.  In the second game played at the old Winnipeg stadium,  the temperature was 20 Fahrenheit (-7 C) and the wind gusting out of the NW @ 29 MPH (50 KPH).  The field was frozen sod hard as concrete and dry.    There were approximately 13K fans in the stands, mostly drunk and very Loud!   In fact in those days, the team could be assessed a penalty if the fans were too noisy and interfering with the signal calling....and they were actually warned in this game.   Getting back to the game, the Bombers used 5 different running backs in this game, Leo Lewis, Hagberg, Charlie (choo choo) Shepherd, Ron (Pepe') Latourelle and Kenny Ploen who ran one in for a TD.    We trailed most of the game and Calgary's D was outatanding however they missed on 3 FG attempts and Shepherd made all 3 of ours.    Ploen who threw wobbly balls completed a 57 yard pass to Farrell (Fungi) Funston who got down to the 5 and Ploen ran it in on a bootleg play for the score to pull ahead by 2 and then Shepherd missed the convert because of a bad snap with Ploen almost taking it in for the extra point but was tackled at the 5 YL.   At the end of the 4th quarter the Stamps turned the ball over and then Leo Lewis pounded the ball on 3 or four different plays and the Bombers scored to pull ahead by 9 points with only 11 seconds in the game.   I remember watching this game and thinking the Bombers were going to lose it however, we prevailed and then went back to Calgary and beat them in their barn, winning the 3 game series.....

And then it was off to Toronto to play in the "Fog Bowl" at CNE stadium which was actually played over 2 days as they had to call the game because they simply couldn't see the players or the field.   Leo Lewis and Kenny Ploen were the stars in this game and the score remained the same the next day and the Bombers won 28-27.    Hamilton lead by Angelo Mosca on defence and Joe Zuger at QB were heavily favoured to win however we prevailed over 2 days to win the Cup!    Ironically the Cats coach Jim Trimble replaced Zuger at QB for that last 9 minutes in the 4th quarter with Frank Cosentino....who failed to score.

It's the magic and the mystery that is the CFL and what makes it so special for Canadian football fans....and you just never know who will  take the Cup home.   The upcoming season will be no different and we may see two different teams in the Cup final in Vancouver.....that's my prediction.    Maybe it'll be the Riders and the Renegades?!   
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

MTL #1, hahahaha.  Good luck with that.  Out of the top-4 teams listed, Cody is by far the worst QB.  Maybe you luck into a GC win with 3rd & a 20Y hail mary, but that doesn't translate into good regular season success.

Now, might MTL attract some top talent and get better?  Maybe.  And with all their new guys on 2-year ELC they'll have the SMS space to make some splashes.  In 2025 they'll have big challenges though because all these noobs will be into FA and looking to get paid.

WPG #4, ahhahahahhaha.  We'll see about that come week 1.

P.S. The rest of the list is messed up too.  Has anyone ever tried to do power rankings before FA even started before?  It's rather silly.
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 02, 2023, 10:05:35 PM
MTL #1, hahahaha.  Good luck with that.  Out of the top-4 teams listed, Cody is by far the worst QB.  Maybe you luck into a GC win with 3rd & a 20Y hail mary, but that doesn't translate into good regular season success.

Now, might MTL attract some top talent and get better?  Maybe.  And with all their new guys on 2-year ELC they'll have the SMS space to make some splashes.  In 2025 they'll have big challenges though because all these noobs will be into FA and looking to get paid.

P.S. The rest of the list is messed up too.  Has anyone ever tried to do power rankings before FA even started before?  It's rather silly.
Pretty silly, indeed!
Bomber fan for life

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 02, 2023, 10:05:35 PM

Just as regular season success doesn't always translate into playoff or GC success.    You really do have it in for CF and albeit I'm not a big fan of his, I did recognize his leadership ability to lead a team.    In 2019, he was one goal post away from getting the Riders to the Cup and instead we made it and won our first in 29 dismal years without one.    His fate was was directly tied the Riders fate who had both Zach and Cody at one time but have since 2019,  more or less imploded.    Fact is he outplayed Zach in the Grey Cup who in 4 appearances hasn't played up to his regular season level or capabilities.  He hasn't thrown one TD pass in four appearances meanwhile throwing 4 picks.  So, there's that as far as the "Zach factor" goes.

Do I think Zach is the better QB of the two?   Certainly!   However Zach has had one of the best OLs and in general, a great team in front of him since signing with us, which has been instrumental in his success.   
If Montreal is able to keep the core of their team together, I'm predicting they will once again be one of the east teams to make it to the East final.   Toronto, with Chad Kelly will likely be the other team however that's not a guarantee either, pending his NFL tryouts this off season.
Bomber fan for life

blue_or_die

The pushing of nonsensical narratives is hilar-balls.

The reach is far  :D
#Ride?

GOLDMEMBER

Do these writers know pieces like this makes them look like idiots? Pure comedy.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Stats Junkie

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on December 02, 2023, 04:58:55 PM
There were approximately 13K fans in the stands, mostly drunk and very Loud! In fact in those days, the team could be assessed a penalty if the fans were too noisy and interfering with the signal calling....and they were actually warned in this game.
It was stadium announcer Hal Perry who drew the ire of commissioner Syd Halter. In a game on September 27, 1962, Hal encouraged fans to clap as a means to keep warm. Roger Hagberg ran 64 yards for a TD on the next play. Halter, who was on site, visited Perry in the press box soon after and told him to stop. As the stadium announcer, Perry was considered an off field official and fell under the jurisdiction of the commissioner. Winnipeg could be penalized if Perry asked the fans to make noise but there wasn't anything against the noise if the fans initiated it.

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on December 02, 2023, 04:58:55 PM
We trailed most of the game and Calgary's D was outatanding however they missed on 3 FG attempts and Shepherd made all 3 of ours. Ploen who threw wobbly balls completed a 57 yard pass to Farrell (Fungi) Funston who got down to the 5 and Ploen ran it in on a bootleg play for the score to pull ahead by 2 and then Shepherd missed the convert because of a bad snap with Ploen almost taking it in for the extra point but was tackled at the 5 YL.
Charlie Shepard was the Bombers punter. It was 'Kid Dynamite' Gerry James who did the field goals and converts.

In 1962, Gerry James was limited to kicking in several games when games were played in short order (doubleheader weekends, playoffs). In 1963 the Blue Bombers asked James to take a pay cut because he wasn't a full time player. James countered by stating it was Bud Grant's decision to limit his play - James felt he could still be a full time fullback. Gerry James attended 1963 training camp out of good will - he had no contract. In the end, the two sides couldn't come to an agreement.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

Lincoln Locomotive

Thanks for the corrections.....yes Gerry James it was.    That's why you get paid the big bucks to be our official Stats Junkistician!   
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on December 03, 2023, 05:05:10 PM
Just as regular season success doesn't always translate into playoff or GC success.    You really do have it in for CF and albeit I'm not a big fan of his, I did recognize his leadership ability to lead a team.    In 2019, he was one goal post away from getting the Riders to the Cup and instead we made it and won our first in 29 dismal years without one.

Ya, you're right, but I don't hide it.  I'm a Cody anti-fan, just like I was a BLM anti-fan.  I watched Cody linger and wither on other teams as #3 and #2 for so many years, always looking meh every time he got some garbage time or the odd injury relief.  He's kind of like Prukop... he really never was star #1 material.  He'll win you some games like Arbuckle or Dane, but he won't win you the post-season consistently.  And he's never had, and will never have, a deep ball.

To me the GC win doesn't change too much.  Their D won vs TOR, and you could argue their D won vs WPG, by stopping Buck & Zach on our final (real) drive, where 2 first downs seals the game even if we don't score.

I fully understand Cody is moving up in many people's eyes, and my stance may be starting to look irrational.  But it's just the way I see it and it'll take more than a fluke end-of-season streak to change my mind.  Does Cody deserve a chance to start?  Heck ya, he's probably the 5th-6th best QB in the CFL because the pickins' are slim.  But I wouldn't want him as my #1 guy.

As for 2019 post doink... everyone gets this wrong: they were a goal post away from TYING.  Who knows if SSK beats us in OT that game.  HAM didn't beat us in OT in the next GC...  Too bad we didn't get OT in the MTL GC (as it should have been after the 3rd down conversion).
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on December 02, 2023, 04:35:34 PM
Man, I made this comment before reading, but it was so much worse than I thought. What a bunch of nonsense, lol.

Gotta try and keep traffic up somehow on that clownshow of a website.

It's even funnier seeing the mental gymnastics at play here trying to defend those rankings. LOL :D
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 04, 2023, 03:20:56 AM
Ya, you're right, but I don't hide it.  I'm a Cody anti-fan, just like I was a BLM anti-fan.  I watched Cody linger and wither on other teams as #3 and #2 for so many years, always looking meh every time he got some garbage time or the odd injury relief.  He's kind of like Prukop... he really never was star #1 material.  He'll win you some games like Arbuckle or Dane, but he won't win you the post-season consistently.  And he's never had, and will never have, a deep ball.

To me the GC win doesn't change too much.  Their D won vs TOR, and you could argue their D won vs WPG, by stopping Buck & Zach on our final (real) drive, where 2 first downs seals the game even if we don't score.

I fully understand Cody is moving up in many people's eyes, and my stance may be starting to look irrational.  But it's just the way I see it and it'll take more than a fluke end-of-season streak to change my mind.  Does Cody deserve a chance to start?  Heck ya, he's probably the 5th-6th best QB in the CFL because the pickins' are slim.  But I wouldn't want him as my #1 guy.

As for 2019 post doink... everyone gets this wrong: they were a goal post away from TYING.  Who knows if SSK beats us in OT that game.  HAM didn't beat us in OT in the next GC...  Too bad we didn't get OT in the MTL GC (as it should have been after the 3rd down conversion).
Montreal's defence is one of the better Ds in the CFL and you can get away with a less than stellar game manager for a QB and still win it all.    Bombers have had teams where our D was strength and our offence and QBs just good enough.    We had the most prolific offence in the CFL last season and it was our D who couldn't make the BIG play when we desperately needed one.    We were a missed tackle away from sacking Fjardo on second and 18 and instead he gets 13 yards escaping the pressure putting them in a 3rd and 5 situation instead of a 3rd and 20 something......missed opportunities that will haunt our Bomber D for the entire winter.
Bomber fan for life

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 04, 2023, 03:20:56 AM

Your hatred for Fajardo is irrational but whatever turns your crank. I give the guy full credit for coming back from the dead and leading this team to a GC win. He made the plays to win it...Full marks to him. And full marks to Austin Mack for making the big plays he did throughout the game.

Fajardo always belly aches his receivers don?t fight hard enough for 50/50 balls, well he?s got a gamer in Mack!!

If the Als keep their core offensive and defensive players in tact, I don't see why they won't be at the top of the league competing for the GC again

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on December 04, 2023, 06:17:06 PM
Your hatred for Fajardo is irrational but whatever turns your crank. I give the guy full credit for coming back from the dead and leading this team to a GC win. He made the plays to win it...Full marks to him. And full marks to Austin Mack for making the big plays he did throughout the game.

Fajardo always belly aches his receivers don?t fight hard enough for 50/50 balls, well he?s got a gamer in Mack!!

If the Als keep their core offensive and defensive players in tact, I don't see why they won't be at the top of the league competing for the GC again

How about we look at it this way... Many people here have always been hard on Matt Nichols, even when he was winning lots of games for us.  Lots of people thought he was a middling to bad QB.  (Not me, but roll with me for a sec...)  Now many people here are saying Cody is a good QB (since his WDF appearances).  On average I'd say more people have said good things here about Cody since 2019 than they did about Nichols in 2018 to mid-2019.  So does that mean the average fan here thinks Cody is a better QB than Nichols was?

I think Nichols was a much better QB: had a deep ball that looked real sweet up until he got Lemonated out of the league, and could catch receivers in stride.  But even if you're a Cody lover and Nichols hater, you have to agree they are somewhat similar in terms of "game manager", "not gonna win it all on their own".  I think Matty has a better win% and probably more yards.  (And I think Matty wins that 2019 GC if he hadn't been IRd, because Zach really didn't do much that game either.)

My point is I'm not really sure why WPG fans are gung-ho on Cody.  He was the Evil Enemy (green) team QB: that's where he got his chops.  And now he just stuck a dagger through our hearts ruining our dynasty.  I really don't get the fanboy love for him.  I can understand why people don't hate him, he's fairly likeable in pressers, but I really don't get the rabid defense of him.  It's kind of weird for this forum.  BLM sure never got this kind of love here.  The enemy QBs rarely do (except maybe Rourke).

As for MTL being good in 2024: I attribute a ton of their success to Calvillo and Thorpe.  Those guys know how to ball, especially impressive given their limited, rookie-laden roster.  They outperformed our Buck/Hall.  If they can keep it up, maybe MTL will be good.  I won't bet money on it (because: Cody), but it could happen.  The E would be a better division if TOR could lose 2 or 3 to MTL in the regular season.

Ah, 2023 will always be the GC Result That Shouldn't Have Happened.  And it will always make Cody seem better than he really was.
Never go full Rider!

bomb squad

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 05, 2023, 02:30:53 AM
How about we look at it this way... Many people here have always been hard on Matt Nichols, even when he was winning lots of games for us.  Lots of people thought he was a middling to bad QB.  (Not me, but roll with me for a sec...)  Now many people here are saying Cody is a good QB (since his WDF appearances).  On average I'd say more people have said good things here about Cody since 2019 than they did about Nichols in 2018 to mid-2019.  So does that mean the average fan here thinks Cody is a better QB than Nichols was?

I think Nichols was a much better QB: had a deep ball that looked real sweet up until he got Lemonated out of the league, and could catch receivers in stride.  But even if you're a Cody lover and Nichols hater, you have to agree they are somewhat similar in terms of "game manager", "not gonna win it all on their own".  I think Matty has a better win% and probably more yards.  (And I think Matty wins that 2019 GC if he hadn't been IRd, because Zach really didn't do much that game either.)

My point is I'm not really sure why WPG fans are gung-ho on Cody.  He was the Evil Enemy (green) team QB: that's where he got his chops.  And now he just stuck a dagger through our hearts ruining our dynasty.  I really don't get the fanboy love for him.  I can understand why people don't hate him, he's fairly likeable in pressers, but I really don't get the rabid defense of him.  It's kind of weird for this forum.  BLM sure never got this kind of love here.  The enemy QBs rarely do (except maybe Rourke).

As for MTL being good in 2024: I attribute a ton of their success to Calvillo and Thorpe.  Those guys know how to ball, especially impressive given their limited, rookie-laden roster.  They outperformed our Buck/Hall.  If they can keep it up, maybe MTL will be good.  I won't bet money on it (because: Cody), but it could happen.  The E would be a better division if TOR could lose 2 or 3 to MTL in the regular season.

Ah, 2023 will always be the GC Result That Shouldn't Have Happened.  And it will always make Cody seem better than he really was.

He deserves a tip of the hat for his story this year. Sometimes people just want to park their fandom for a moment and give credit where credit's due. There's no fanboy stuff happening here with Fajardo.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: bomb squad on December 05, 2023, 03:52:14 AM
He deserves a tip of the hat for his story this year. Sometimes people just want to park their fandom for a moment and give credit where credit's due. There's no fanboy stuff happening here with Fajardo.

Is it even about parking one's fandom? It's not some slight or doing a disservice to the Blue Bombers to pay respect or give credit to another team that just won a championship or its player(s) who contributed to make it possible. One can be - and remain - a diehard fan of this team while still acknowledging the success of another team - even if it came at the cost of seeing our team lose in heartbreaking fashion.

The Alouettes accomplished a pretty impressive feat considering how many had written them off prior to the 2023 season. That's what makes the CFL so unique and so entertaining, IMO.

Trying to lessen that accomplishment or frame a specific player as undeserving comes across as biased and pretty deranged.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 05, 2023, 02:30:53 AM

I m not gung ho on him, just saying he played very well to beat both Argos and us, so hey, he ain't that bad and he certainly wasn't the problem in Riderville. Hats off to him, now onto the next season and we'd better beat him this time!!!

bomb squad

Quote from: dd on December 05, 2023, 10:52:47 PM
I m not gung ho on him, just saying he played very well to beat both Argos and us, so hey, he ain't that bad and he certainly wasn't the problem in Riderville. Hats off to him, now onto the next season and we'd better beat him this time!!!

Yeah, and that makes 2 quarterbacks in a row the Riders gave up on that went on to win Grey Cups the year after.

dd

Quote from: bomb squad on December 05, 2023, 11:16:02 PM
Yeah, and that makes 2 quarterbacks in a row the Riders gave up on that went on to win Grey Cups the year after.
Interesting stat

Buuuuuurrrrrn!!!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on December 05, 2023, 10:52:47 PM

Well that was the truth.  And neither was Maas, strangely enough.  That's the best part about all of this, is watching greenie heads explode.  It's funny how many of the Riderfans forum now pretend that they weren't wishing bad things upon Cody/Maas like most were when they first started in MTL.  They are still coming to terms with (in the GC) having to either cheer for Cody/Maas (and admit the horrible mistake JOD made) or cheer for WPG.

Ya, on to next season, and on the bright side we'll most likely get our rematch in 2024, whether with TOR or MTL.  And we better play it bold this time!!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bomb squad on December 05, 2023, 11:16:02 PM

And superstars Yoshi, Neufeld, Demski, Jefferson... the list goes on as Riders cry in their beer.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Ya, O'Day's collar got alot tighter when the Als won, as the Offensive Coordinator and Qb he and Dickenson canned hoisted the Grey Cup

blue_gold_84

It's the CFL. The degrees of separation are minimal.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on December 06, 2023, 10:52:55 PM
Ya, O'Day's collar got alot tighter when the Als won, as the Offensive Coordinator and Qb he and Dickenson canned hoisted the Grey Cup

Rider fans can't really complain about O'Day getting rid of Fajardo, Maas, or Dickenson, as they created immense pressure on him to make those moves.  As usual they have no one to blame but themselves for the **** show they endure year after year, which is born from a lack of patience.  I predict if Mace is not well over .500 in year two, there will be plenty of calls to remove him as well.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 07, 2023, 05:43:47 PM
Rider fans can't really complain about O'Day getting rid of Fajardo, Maas, or Dickenson, as they created immense pressure on him to make those moves.  As usual they have no one to blame but themselves for the **** show they endure year after year, which is born from a lack of patience.  I predict if Mace is not well over .500 in year two, there will be plenty of calls to remove him as well.

In all fairness, I would demand a .500 record in the CFL in year 2 of a new coaching regime, too.
#Ride?

TecnoGenius

I think SSK fans will demand they make the playoffs in Mace Year 1.  Because nothing changed at GM the fans will just see this as a continuation of the same regime, and won't have the patience for 3 years of failure with a promise of future success.

No matter what, Mace won't have the kind of time to fail for years like MOS did when he first arrived.  And if for some strange reason Mace turns into Claybrooks, he may not even last 2 seasons.  If both Mace and JOD suck really badly in year 1 maybe the fans will run the whole lot out of town early; the coach cap be darned.  I'm not predicting that, but it would be incredibly amusing.
Never go full Rider!

blue_or_die

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 07, 2023, 09:36:12 PM
I think SSK fans will demand they make the playoffs in Mace Year 1.  Because nothing changed at GM the fans will just see this as a continuation of the same regime, and won't have the patience for 3 years of failure with a promise of future success.

No matter what, Mace won't have the kind of time to fail for years like MOS did when he first arrived.  And if for some strange reason Mace turns into Claybrooks, he may not even last 2 seasons.  If both Mace and JOD suck really badly in year 1 maybe the fans will run the whole lot out of town early; the coach cap be darned.  I'm not predicting that, but it would be incredibly amusing.

I am predicting that.
#Ride?

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 07, 2023, 09:36:12 PM

I can easily see that happening. Sask doesn't have the talent level to be a 500+ team. Their O line sucks, **** near killed Fajardo, injured Harris, injured Hine, and I see the same thing happening again this year.

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on December 09, 2023, 01:25:10 AMI can easily see that happening. Sask doesn't have the talent level to be a 500+ team. Their O line sucks, **** near killed Fajardo, injured Harris, injured Hine, and I see the same thing happening again this year.

They've upgraded their O-line personnel quite a bit, remains to be seen how they will perform, their past performance means nothing.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 19, 2024, 04:15:35 PMHere is another effort by 3rd Down Nation on post-2024 free agency Power Rankings...

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/19/3downnation-cfl-power-rankings-riders-on-the-rise-post-free-agency/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Their new list makes a lot more sense to me.  As with most years, there'll probably be a an unexpected surprise good or bad team.

I like that they downgraded MTL, especially after losing the 2 ELC monsters to the NFL.  Ento's still there, though, and Maciocia has proven an adept talent spotter.  But it may have been just a lucky flash in the pan from a middling team vs one with too many injuries.
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 20, 2024, 02:29:45 AMTheir new list makes a lot more sense to me.  As with most years, there'll probably be a an unexpected surprise good or bad team.

I like that they downgraded MTL, especially after losing the 2 ELC monsters to the NFL.  Ento's still there, though, and Maciocia has proven an adept talent spotter.  But it may have been just a lucky flash in the pan from a middling team vs one with too many injuries.

#1 is VERY IFFY now with the Chad Kelly scandal happening.  I think Dru Brown will help Ottawa immensely. I'd rank them ahead of the Cat's for third in the East.  Bo Levi better have a late career renaissance or Hamilton is toast this year.  I also would rank Montreal ahead of Toronto just because of the scandal floating over the Boatmen now.

In the West I think BC and Winnipeg battle for first again. Calgary, Sask and Edmonton competing for third and/or a wild card if Ottawa tanks again.

GOLDMEMBER

TO number  1 makes me laugh they have had a brutal offseason.

They will be good on D but the O could  be a disaster.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Cool Spot

Quote5) Saskatchewan Roughriders (8)

... Add in a healthy Trevor Harris next season and the sky could be the limit.

I don't wish ill will on any player because I think it's important for players to play, and deserve a shot at greatness. But, I have a feeling Trevor Harris will get injured again. He's in his late 30's and coming off a serious knee injury. I think those will work against him, and will lead to another injury.  :-[

bluebeard

Quote from: Cool Spot on February 25, 2024, 04:42:51 AMI don't wish ill will on any player because I think it's important for players to play, and deserve a shot at greatness. But, I have a feeling Trevor Harris will get injured again. He's in his late 30's and coming off a serious knee injury. I think those will work against him, and will lead to another injury.  :-[

Harris is 38 years of age but after looking at who they have signed and not brought back, I'm thinking that the RR are a very improved team.  Much better coaching all round and brought in better players for their OL and TB.  This team will run and take the pressure off the QB.  Defensively, Mace has proven in the past that he has the ability to turn them around.

Two questions in my mind.  First as you mentioned, a Harris injury.  Fine is really unproven.  Surprised that they didn't bring someone else in.  With all the new players that will man the team it will take some time to jell.  I think they will be a 500 team this year.  How is that for sticking out ones neck?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bluebeard on February 27, 2024, 10:33:38 PMTwo questions in my mind.  First as you mentioned, a Harris injury.  Fine is really unproven.  Surprised that they didn't bring someone else in.  With all the new players that will man the team it will take some time to jell.  I think they will be a 500 team this year.  How is that for sticking out ones neck?

Harris made SSK look decent to start last season.  It's amazing what a real QB can do, even a geriatric one.  If Harris had stayed healthy, SSK would have had that last playoff spot.

Same thing this year: if Harris stays upright then SSK might be trouble.  But it's no different than our situation with Zach.  The only difference is Zach has been able to stay 95% healthy, which is actually incredible.  Make whatever prayers and entrail sacrifices you need to to continue our good luck.

Whatever QB stays standing will have the better team standing come week 21.  For SSK attendance sake, I hope Trevor can stay upright until the week before labor day.  ;)
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 28, 2024, 12:24:38 AMHarris made SSK look decent to start last season.  It's amazing what a real QB can do, even a geriatric one.  If Harris had stayed healthy, SSK would have had that last playoff spot.

Same thing this year: if Harris stays upright then SSK might be trouble.  But it's no different than our situation with Zach.  The only difference is Zach has been able to stay 95% healthy, which is actually incredible.  Make whatever prayers and entrail sacrifices you need to to continue our good luck.

Whatever QB stays standing will have the better team standing come week 21.  For SSK attendance sake, I hope Trevor can stay upright until the week before labor day.  ;)

Only watched it twice but the play Harris was injured on was so dumb, to this day I can hardly believe he thought running the ball 20 yards downfield and deciding not to slide was going to help his team. When has he ever attempted a play like that before???  Lesson to Zach, bad things happen when an older QB tries to do too much on their own. 

ModAdmin

The pundits and experts continue to propose their views on Power Rankings.  Let us know what you predict as of today...

1.  Blue Bombers
2.  Lions
3.  Alouettes
4.  Roughriders
5.  Argonauts
6.  Redblacks
7.  Elks
8.  Ticats
9.  Stampeders

blue_or_die

Quote from: ModAdmin on April 04, 2024, 05:28:47 AMThe pundits and experts continue to propose their views on Power Rankings.  Let us know what you predict as of today...

1.  Blue Bombers
2.  Lions
3.  Alouettes
4.  Roughriders
5.  Argonauts
6.  Redblacks
7.  Elks
8.  Ticats
9.  Stampeders

tbh I'm kind of surprised they have us at the top. I mean, I still think we are a dominant team but the "public" seems to think we're over the hill and might expect to see our decline starting this year. Fully expected to be snubbed by the media until we show 'em. Still time tho lmao.
#Ride?

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_or_die on April 04, 2024, 06:48:38 PMtbh I'm kind of surprised they have us at the top. I mean, I still think we are a dominant team but the "public" seems to think we're over the hill and might expect to see our decline starting this year. Fully expected to be snubbed by the media until we show 'em. Still time tho lmao.

Bombers history in recent years has been about finding replacement value at lower costs. Can we find the next Sayles, Jeffcoat, Schoen or Alford this season? Don't know until we see what we've got in TC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Surprised anyone would put CGY dead last, seeing as how they dominated most of the 2010-2019 decade.  And the Huffer/Dickenson combo always had a knack for finding talent.

I wonder if their snail's pace demise has been due to the old and decrepit facilities?  That decade saw many teams get new stadiums and player facilities, and maybe players look at the CGY situation and balk vs coming to WPG or SSK or HAM/TOR/OTT.

It used to be players would take a discount to be in CGY, now it seems like you have to pay them more.  Now they take a discount to be in WPG, BC or TOR.

Ya, you could say it's also/more about winning... but up until just 1-2 seasons ago CGY was always in the mix for a good playoff run.  Maybe it's all of the above, and a compounding factor.  I think it's getting time for CGY to pony up for a new home.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 05, 2024, 04:02:31 AMSurprised anyone would put CGY dead last, seeing as how they dominated most of the 2010-2019 decade.  And the Huffer/Dickenson combo always had a knack for finding talent.

I wonder if their snail's pace demise has been due to the old and decrepit facilities?  That decade saw many teams get new stadiums and player facilities, and maybe players look at the CGY situation and balk vs coming to WPG or SSK or HAM/TOR/OTT.

It used to be players would take a discount to be in CGY, now it seems like you have to pay them more.  Now they take a discount to be in WPG, BC or TOR.

Ya, you could say it's also/more about winning... but up until just 1-2 seasons ago CGY was always in the mix for a good playoff run.  Maybe it's all of the above, and a compounding factor.  I think it's getting time for CGY to pony up for a new home.

In the CFL, due to the NAT situation, it can take a while to build a dominant team.  But on the other hand, you can go downhill really quick, if your players age out and ELC's jump ship at the same time.

Plus, having the leagues best QB always improves a team's chances.  Maier isn't that.  If he even makes it out of camp.

1    Bonner, Logan    QB    A    6'0    234    26    Utah State
12    Maier, Jake    QB    A    6'0    227    26    UC Davis
17    Reynolds, Chris    QB    A    5'11    196    25    UNC Charlotte
16    Shiltz, Matt    QB    A    6'2    205    31    Butler
15    Stevens, Tommy    QB    A    6'5    257    27    Penn State
   Vantrease, Kyle    QB    A    6'2    225    25    Georgia Siuthern
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ModAdmin

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 05, 2024, 04:02:31 AMSurprised anyone would put CGY dead last, seeing as how they dominated most of the 2010-2019 decade.  And the Huffer/Dickenson combo always had a knack for finding talent.

Not sure the facilities have anything to do with it, but they've kind of been slipping down hill since they lost John Murphy. Huff failed to adapt to the rise of free agency as a tool to re-build a club and hold it on top, which were the building blocks tha Bombers used to overtake them.  Looks like the ownership group is disinterested in supporting the franchise and funding it properly, over the last decade they have not kept up.

theaardvark

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

The player rankings are dumb because a) they didn't aggregate it (who cares what each player thinks on their own?!), and b) they were allowed to pick their own team for #2 (mega lame).

They should have forbidden players from ranking their own team at all, and aggregated the results.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 17, 2024, 04:51:37 AMThe player rankings are dumb because a) they didn't aggregate it (who cares what each player thinks on their own?!), and b) they were allowed to pick their own team for #2 (mega lame).

They should have forbidden players from ranking their own team at all, and aggregated the results.

Very valid points, if this was more than a puff piece.  This was not to attain a true ranking system, but rather a glimpse into the players thoughts.  And I am surprised that every player did not take their team first.  That would be the minimum I would expect.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on April 17, 2024, 02:29:18 PMAnd I am surprised that every player did not take their team first.  That would be the minimum I would expect.

The rules specifically forbade that.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 18, 2024, 07:56:44 AMThe rules specifically forbade that.

If that is the case, their own team should not have been in the ranking at all...

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on April 18, 2024, 09:15:03 PMIf that is the case, their own team should not have been in the ranking at all...

Bingo Bango.  I told you the whole article was dumb!  ;D  8)
Never go full Rider!