Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Calgary October 27, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, October 26, 2023, 07:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Rest up and Test up game for the Bombers.

Time to prepare for the Western Final.  That means resting some of our starters and giving the stage to back ups and PR players.  The goal will still be #fortheW.

In preparation for this game here are two articles worth reading...

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/10/25/48-hour-primer-wpg-at-cgy-4/

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/10/24/its-a-great-week-for-that-for-guys-waiting-to-get-their-opportunity/

Further confirmation this game is important both for the present and future of the team and organization.  Calgary's goal will be to be ready for BC in the Western Semi-Final.

In:  #35 Houston, #38 McGhee, #42 Karamoko, #44 Gauthier, #45 Haba, #49 Garbutt, #60 Richmond, #81 Alston, #90 Fox, #96 Schmekel

Out: #4 Bighill, #5 Jefferson, #9 Walker, #10 Demski, #17 Kramdi, #19 Wilson, #30 Rose, #37 Alexander, #66 Bryant, #94 Jeffcoat

Bombers Depth Chart... https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers/status/1717541761940172828/photo/1

An important game?  Yes for both teams.  For the fans - Let's Go Bombers!
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

LXTSN

Should be a fun game to watch a lot of guys we don't get to see every week!
I like seeing Kelly at the SAM spot, and I'm hoping we get to see a little be of Alston

Blue In BC

Wow, that's more changes than I imagined but not a bad idea to give some of the PR players a shot.

I'm not quite certain who will start or get the most reps in many positions. Oliveria is still listed as the starter at RB but I doubt he plays more than the 1st Q. Can't really take the depth chart too seriously.

Karamoko and Kelly at SAM might split the duties somewhat.

8 changes on defence alone although a few were already on the AR each week.

It will be difficult to see who is doing what trying to recognize nameplates as players are rotated in and out.

Go BOMBER TEAM 1A. Lots of talent getting their chance to show.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: ModAdmin on October 26, 2023, 07:21:07 AM
Rest up and Test up game for the Bombers.

Time to prepare for the Western Final.  That means resting some of our starters and giving the stage to back ups and PR players.  The goal will still be #fortheW.

In preparation for this game here are two articles worth reading...

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/10/25/48-hour-primer-wpg-at-cgy-4/

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/10/24/its-a-great-week-for-that-for-guys-waiting-to-get-their-opportunity/

Further confirmation this game is important both for the present and future of the team and organization.  Calgary's goal will be to be ready for BC in the Western Semi-Final.

In:  #35 Houston, #38 McGhee, #42 Karamoko, #44 Gauthier, #45 Haba, #49 Garbutt, #60 Richmond, #81 Alston, #90 Fox, #96 Fox Schmekel

Out: #4 Bighill, #5 Jefferson, #9 Walker, #10 Demski, #17 Kramdi, #19 Wilson, #30 Rose, #37 Alexander, #66 Bryant, #94 Jeffcoat

Bombers Depth Chart... https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers/status/1717541761940172828/photo/1

An important game?  Yes for both teams.  For the fans - Let's Go Bombers!

#96 is Schmekel

That's a lot o starters to rest, but it gets us a look at our DLine... not hopeful for a win, though... might have to change my Pickems
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on October 26, 2023, 05:54:03 PM
#96 is Schmekel

That's a lot o starters to rest, but it gets us a look at our DLine... not hopeful for a win, though... might have to change my Pickems

Calgary made 5 changes including taking out Dozier, Judge, Carey, Muhammed and Begelton. Many of their back ups on the AR will play more as well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

3rdand1.5

Pigskin

Like it. PR players getting some playing time. Alston is a player I will be watching closely. Big receiver with good hands and has some speed.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

bwiser

Colleros is making the trip but I don't see him playing at all. Olivera may just get a couple of carries to get him over 1500 yards.

theaardvark

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 26, 2023, 03:47:01 PM
Wow, that's more changes than I imagined but not a bad idea to give some of the PR players a shot.

Ya, 10 might be the most slot changes between 2 games of any team all season.  Even more than a C.Jones "tryouts" at the beginning.  Way more than TOR's usual 6 changes lately.

I like it!

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 26, 2023, 06:10:37 PM
Calgary made 5 changes including taking out Dozier, Judge, Carey, Muhammed and Begelton. Many of their back ups on the AR will play more as well.

CGY going for the win for momo into next week, and also, like in PS games, they want to give a little extra effort to win in front of the home fans.  They did pay to attend, and they do like a win to wrap up a night of drinking.

The 2 J's sit and we star the 2 H's.  I'm keen to see how this works out, but I'm not terribly hopeful.  :D

I want to see Exume get most of the corner reps.

Houston and Gauthier being eased back in to game shape, might get a lot of reps.

Zach listed as #3, ya, probably won't see the field.

All of these are good moves by a vet coach who has learned to protect his stars before the post-season (VAJ and Kelly controllers take note).
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Stamps without tackling machine of C. Judge will make it more difficult for them to stop the run. Even though we won't have Oliveria seeing his usual number of reps I expect we have great success running the ball. IMO the Stamps weren't very good against the passing game either so I think we sustain some longer time consuming drives. OTOH Maier only threw for 130 yards against the Lions so that's an issue for their offence on top of losing Carey in the run attack.

Should be interesting. IMO we win by 14+
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

This will be Dru Browns showcase to the rest of the CFL as he approaches free agency this spring.    Can't really blame the guy for wanting to be a starter vs. playing in the shadow of Zach.    His last start against Calgary resulted in a W for us albeit he didn't have his best game albeit neither did the entire team.    It was a game we could just as easily have lost and we were fortunate to get the W.   He did bail out Zach the week earlier erasing a 20 point deficit with his most impressive and productive outing as our #2 guy.
Would be fantastic if we could retain him for another season however Zach isn't going anywhere soon and has a lot of football left in him, barring unforeseen circumstances.    In the game of football one can never be too sure however Zach has been amazingly durable since signing with the Bombers missing only a handful of starts in his tenure with us.
Bomber fan for life

bwiser

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on October 27, 2023, 03:38:00 PM
This will be Dru Browns showcase to the rest of the CFL as he approaches free agency this spring.    Can't really blame the guy for wanting to be a starter vs. playing in the shadow of Zach.    His last start against Calgary resulted in a W for us albeit he didn't have his best game albeit neither did the entire team.    It was a game we could just as easily have lost and we were fortunate to get the W.   He did bail out Zach the week earlier erasing a 20 point deficit with his most impressive and productive outing as our #2 guy.
Would be fantastic if we could retain him for another season however Zach isn't going anywhere soon and has a lot of football left in him, barring unforeseen circumstances.    In the game of football one can never be too sure however Zach has been amazingly durable since signing with the Bombers missing only a handful of starts in his tenure with us.
I know Brown could leave in the off season but I am not convinced he will.He might be able to get the opportunity to start elsewhere right away but it may not be the best situation. If Brown can be patient he will be the starter here in about two seasons. He could have a long successful career here if he elects to stay.

Jesse

Quote from: bwiser on October 27, 2023, 06:18:54 PM
I know Brown could leave in the off season but I am not convinced he will.He might be able to get the opportunity to start elsewhere right away but it may not be the best situation. If Brown can be patient he will be the starter here in about two seasons. He could have a long successful career here if he elects to stay.

That's a long haul to be a back up for (at least) 5 years; knowing careers are short and he has a limited window in which to make money playing this game.
My wife is amazing!