Winnipeg @ Calgary. Pre Game.

Started by Pigskin, October 22, 2023, 05:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

A lot players from the PR should see action in this game.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

I think a few players won't make the roster due to ratio issues: Machino, Maruo and Karamoko. Since Hansen is just getting back into game form I don't think they take him off.

Schmekel probably not either. So it comes down to the other eight choices of which we see 5 or 6?

I think Houston comes off the 1 game IR before we see either of Lawrence or McGhee. He'd be next man up to replace any injury issues now or in the WDF.

Wouldn't mind taking a look at Alston if we're sure Schoen won't play in the play offs however it wouldn't seem likely he'd replace McCrae at the moment.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 22, 2023, 05:58:43 PM
I think a few players won't make the roster due to ratio issues: Machino, Maruo and Karamoko. Since Hansen is just getting back into game form I don't think they take him off.

Schmekel probably not either. So it comes down to the other eight choices of which we see 5 or 6?

I think Houston comes off the 1 game IR before we see either of Lawrence or McGhee. He'd be next man up to replace any injury issues now or in the WDF.

Wouldn't mind taking a look at Alston if we're sure Schoen won't play in the play offs however it wouldn't seem likely he'd replace McCrae at the moment.

I expect quite a few PR players will be given a look and a gameday cheque, ratio aside it would be nice to see Fox, Garbutt, Richmond, McGhee, Schmekel and Alston all getting plenty of reps, maybe even Karamoko if they can squeeze him in. Hansen has not stood out much on D-line since he came back, don't think he needs to be rested though.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 22, 2023, 06:46:33 PM
I expect quite a few PR players will be given a look and a gameday cheque, ratio aside it would be nice to see Fox, Garbutt, Richmond, McGhee, Schmekel and Alston all getting plenty of reps, maybe even Karamoko if they can squeeze him in. Hansen has not stood out much on D-line since he came back, don't think he needs to be rested though.

The catch for Alston is that Schoen is already out and we might want to rest Demski due to that ankle problem against the Elks. While I'd like to see him I don't know how wise it might be.

I'm already thinking we let Dobson, Eli, Augustine, BOO and Brown start or play most of the reps. If McCrae is on the roster and starting then we'll already have 6 or 7 changes players on offence. Richmond would be the other one from your list and I do think he is added.

The other caveat is that each PR player we add would be +$3K more or less than PR SMS and that may or may not be an issue?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Nothing game for both teams.  Make a deal with CGY that they just put on an exhibition.  We desperately want to be healthy for the WDF and GC, CGY even more desperately needs to be rested and healthy 1 week later for the WSF!!  This should be an easy deal to make.  With an unofficial wink & a nod, of course.

CGY crowd might be very very small for this.  Might be smaller than the SSK game last night.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 22, 2023, 08:36:42 PM
Nothing game for both teams.  Make a deal with CGY that they just put on an exhibition.  We desperately want to be healthy for the WDF and GC, CGY even more desperately needs to be rested and healthy 1 week later for the WSF!!  This should be an easy deal to make.  With an unofficial wink & a nod, of course.

CGY crowd might be very very small for this.  Might be smaller than the SSK game last night.

Don't think the Stamps will take the game too lightly, they're still trying to figure out how to win games and only have one left to learn from.  Still expect to see Maier for at least a half along with most of their starters that aren't banged up.

Waffler

Maybe Calgary plays the starters or maybe they rest. I lean towards rest. Reason being BC's bye week and their players will all be resting. The coaches will be going over Calgary film for 2 weeks.

Didn't Cornish get concussed in a nothing game against us? 2014?  Marve won that one I think. Rest is the way.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

dd

Figuring out how to win games??? They seemed to figure it out alright in BC the other night, they absolutely thrashed the Lions at home no less.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pigskin on October 22, 2023, 05:33:57 PM
A lot players from the PR should see action in this game.

Should they, yes? Will they? Depends on how close to the SMS cap we are. There is also an opportunity cost to stacking the lineup with backups against Calgary to consider. Any remaining room can probably be better used reworking/extending contracts on this side of the year's SMS cutoff.

Blue In BC

There is a decent chance we see the Stamps again in the WDF. So we don't want to show them any more than necessary.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 23, 2023, 04:11:13 PM
There is a decent chance we see the Stamps again in the WDF. So we don't want to show them any more than necessary.

Agreed.

I expect the Lions to put forth a much better in the WSF than the other night. Either way, I hope whoever wins that game is bruised, bloodied, and at least a bit softened up for the WF here.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

I haven't seen the practice schedule for this week but it's a short week. Maybe Tuesday and Wednesday with travel on Thursday? I'm not sure how many reps the players on the PR have been getting so that factors in to who gets added. Realistically I'm expecting the players already on the AR as back ups to see the most additional reps this week.

That has the added advantage of seeing those players in live action because many are also potential free agents. Those players will be fighting for new contracts and continuing roles with the Bombers in 2024.

Our " Current roster " page doesn't seem to be all that accurate at the moment and even longer than going into this season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ichabod_crane

FYI it is Snowing in calgary today. Maybe up to 15 cm overnight. Friday game will be below freezing.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ichabod_crane on October 23, 2023, 10:07:12 PM
FYI it is Snowing in calgary today. Maybe up to 15 cm overnight. Friday game will be below freezing.

Good!  :D :D :D

We were slowly replacing D players every other snap on Sat until by the end nearly every position was a backup.  We should continue that plus add in 4-6 of the PR guys in CGY.  We don't need our big guns to risk injury on slippery frozen turf against a CGY that would like to get a win for their loyal home fans.

Do we have a 4th QB on PR?  I wouldn't even dress Zach.  Ditto for Brady.  Johnny and McCrae can do RB duties quite well.  Demski should not dress.  I want to see tons of B & C team D guys take all the snaps.  Maruo can slot back in.  Biggie can rest.

If we play our big guns as long as we did vs EDM, I'm going to be pretty nervous, and miffed.
Never go full Rider!

Pete

Quote from: ichabod_crane on October 23, 2023, 10:07:12 PM
good tune up for the western final, if bc gets in they will not have played in adverse conditions since the last western final.

Blue In BC

Stamps may have more actual injuries to deal with this week. Our decisions should be more based on resting than anything preventing playing, except for Schoen.

Regardless we're more than capable of beating them with anyone they put on the field.  So it will be more interesting just to see how we decide to manage our roster. It's going to be very vanilla on both sides of the ball for us.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 24, 2023, 05:23:02 PM
Stamps may have more actual injuries to deal with this week. Our decisions should be more based on resting than anything preventing playing, except for Schoen.

Regardless we're more than capable of beating them with anyone they put on the field.  So it will be more interesting just to see how we decide to manage our roster. It's going to be very vanilla on both sides of the ball for us.

It's a nothing game, I don't really care if they win or not as long as nobody essential gets hurt.  To that length I would rest Grant just to protect him, they can fill in with McCrae or anyone on the PR that has ever returned kicks before.  The more new bodies they have out there, the more interesting the game for me.

bomb squad

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 23, 2023, 11:00:48 PM
Good!  :D :D :D

We were slowly replacing D players every other snap on Sat until by the end nearly every position was a backup.  We should continue that plus add in 4-6 of the PR guys in CGY.  We don't need our big guns to risk injury on slippery frozen turf against a CGY that would like to get a win for their loyal home fans.

Do we have a 4th QB on PR?  I wouldn't even dress Zach.  Ditto for Brady.  Johnny and McCrae can do RB duties quite well.  Demski should not dress.  I want to see tons of B & C team D guys take all the snaps.  Maruo can slot back in.  Biggie can rest.

If we play our big guns as long as we did vs EDM, I'm going to be pretty nervous, and miffed.

This warrants close consideration. Can they bring in a camp qb and activate him for a game? Of course don't dress Collaros, but I wouldn't play Brown for more than a half either, if that. His level right now is pretty darn good, and we need him there, ready and healthy for the playoffs too.

Blue In BC

Quote from: bomb squad on October 25, 2023, 11:36:11 AM
This warrants close consideration. Can they bring in a camp qb and activate him for a game? Of course don't dress Collaros, but I wouldn't play Brown for more than a half either, if that. His level right now is pretty darn good, and we need him there, ready and healthy for the playoffs too.

We don't have a QB on the PR. Collaros can dress as the # 3 QB so there is no need to shuffle in another QB in any case.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 25, 2023, 01:36:54 PM
We don't have a QB on the PR. Collaros can dress as the # 3 QB so there is no need to shuffle in another QB in any case.

Plus, even if we did, why would we want to burn SMS for someone to hold a clipboard?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 25, 2023, 02:11:28 PM
Plus, even if we did, why would we want to burn SMS for someone to hold a clipboard?

Exactly.

That will be the same issue deciding this week's roster. Drawing the line between starters not starting as opposed to being moved to the 1 game PR. It's a question of pros against the cons. Any additional money spent on activating players from the PR is lost from year end signing bonus money available.

Fortunately for the Bombers is just one game where we should do this. OTOH the Argos will be spending lots of SMS doing this over an extended period due to finishing 1st so early.

Overall it's in our best interests to add a few players from our PR even though it will impact our SMS a bit. Just a guess but 6 PR players added might be an extra $20K in total. I base that on a normal PR SMS of $1K ( on average ) to a $4K game day salary on an ELC.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bomb squad on October 25, 2023, 11:36:11 AM

That's the craziest idea ever, why not just forfeit the game so no one gets hurt???

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 25, 2023, 05:15:32 PM
That's the craziest idea ever, why not just forfeit the game so no one gets hurt???

Totally agree.

bomb squad

I didn't say they should do it. I asked if they could do it.

TecnoGenius

Haha, I would totally forfeit the game if it was legal!  Although it is a great opportunity for the 2's and 3's to get free live game reps, well, at the cost of a smidge of SMS.

I really don't want to see Zach dressed as then MOS will be tempted to give him 1-2 series.  We should dress just 2 QB: I don't think the league can force-dress 3 QBs?

And I don't particularly want to see Prukop getting half a game as #1?  He can't get injured either: he is more critical to our post-season than Dru!!  So that leaves starting and playing Dru 100% of the game, with Prukop doing SY only.

Look how easily VAJ and Kelly got semi-injured recently on nothing plays... for nothing!  We're smarter than that.  Don't risk it.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 25, 2023, 02:11:28 PM

Since Prukop is critical to the post-season and should not play as #1 QB, and even Dru (arguably) is important, should Zach go down, having a #4 QB come in and play the whole game actually makes the most sense.  He wouldn't hold a clipboard, he'd be there to protect the important chess pieces by playing.
Never go full Rider!

pdirks67

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 25, 2023, 08:21:18 PM
Since Prukop is critical to the post-season and should not play as #1 QB, and even Dru (arguably) is important, should Zach go down, having a #4 QB come in and play the whole game actually makes the most sense.  He wouldn't hold a clipboard, he'd be there to protect the important chess pieces by playing.

If we are significantly concerned, I'd just go extremely run-heavy and let Johnny Augustine, Greg McCrae, and Damian Jackson carry the rock 40 times. I'm sure the OL would enjoy a chance to tee off with run-blocking all-game long.

Pigskin

ZC8, DS83, ND10, and BA37, didn't practice again today. DS83, ND10, BA37, all will not play on Friday.

I would like to see BO20 sit out also. Let JA27 and the Night Hawk (GMc29) carry the ball.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pigskin on October 25, 2023, 08:50:33 PM
ZC8, DS83, ND10, and BA37, didn't practice again today. DS83, ND10, BA37, all will not play on Friday.

I would like to see BO20 sit out also. Let JA27 and the Night Hawk (GMc29) carry the ball.

BO20 is a few yards short of 1500 rushing and 500 passing... let him hit those numbers... 2000 yds from scrimmage
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on October 26, 2023, 01:24:17 AM
BO20 is a few yards short of 1500 rushing and 500 passing... let him hit those numbers... 2000 yds from scrimmage

MOS has shown in the past those things mean nothing to him.  Has he "learned" or changed his mind?  Doubt it.  TBH if it's me, I'm not dressing Brady.  Imagine if he busts his ankle on play #1 for nothing but a goofy stat?
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Yes, BO20 needs 2 yards rushing and 18 yards receiving. Shouldn't take much to get him there.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on October 26, 2023, 03:39:13 AM
Yes, BO20 needs 2 yards rushing and 18 yards receiving. Should take much to get him there.

All I have to say is: Brady's first snap of his first game as a Bomber...
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 26, 2023, 04:11:17 AM

I think it was the second game of the season. And, I believe he was on the kick return team when it happened. I don't even think he was carrying the ball????

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on October 25, 2023, 08:50:33 PM

Again there is a difference between not active for the game and being the back up. Rosters are limited and we don't have a bunch of extra Canadians to add to the roster to replace him. It's the same situation with Collaros. He can dress as the # 3 but that doesn't mean he'll see the field.

Demski is already going to be out and I'd think that allows Gauthier back on the roster for this game.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 26, 2023, 04:11:17 AM

And he?s not going to play every down and take a bunch of hits.  Ut if he feels like he needs to go through his routine and play a quarter to stay sharp, then you let him do it and go with Johnny after that.
My wife is amazing!