Why don't we have a 3+ hour post-game show like SSK?

Started by TecnoGenius, October 09, 2023, 05:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Bombers have a longer post-game radio show like the Riders have?

YES
12 (57.1%)
NO
9 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: October 14, 2023, 05:13:17 AM

TecnoGenius

I often (now) tune in to Regina's CKRM after SSK games.  They do a 30-45min post-game show ("The 5th Quarter"), and then after that a 2-3 hour "Radio Roundtable".  That's usually 3+ hours of football radio after the game.  Even when they played in BC last week and the game ended around midnight CDT, they did the radio show well until around 3am CDT.  And the shows are generally pretty good: at least as good as ours.

My question is, why can't us Bombers fans have the same?  Our show, on a good night when we're lucky, goes for maybe 45-60 mins after the final whistle.  I think we should have the same level of radio time as the SSK fans enjoy.

The probable justifications on the SSK side should also apply to the WPG side:

1. Our fan base is probably as big as SSK's.  Maybe more importantly, more people show up to IGF games.  This is all potential audience.  If it justifies CKRM doing it, it should justify CJOB doing it.

2. Our fan base is geographically diverse and scattered around the province like SSK fans (albeit a little less so).  A lot of people (including ones on this forum) have 2 hour drives back home after each game.  That's a captive, ready-made audience.  The 2-3 hour drive-home people justify CKRM doing it, it should justify CJOB doing it.

3. The fan engagement in WPG must be similar to that of SSK.  These are people who will tune into a post-game show if there is one.  If it justifies CKRM doing it, it should justify CJOB doing it.

So how does CKRM do it?  They have the in-game play by play guys do the short post-game.  Then they switch after that to some different hosts, like a tag-team.  So CJOB would have to hire some different people to do the late show.  They don't have to be highly paid, many people would jump at that job.  You can have a "voice" like Ponticelli (oooh, my fave), and an ex-player or two, and maybe an old coach or someone.  Just like CKRM.  They don't have to be superstars: just people who sound ok on radio, have half a brain, and have a lot to say once a week.  Heck, I could do it! <grin>

So why not, eh, CJOB and WFC??

Sample:
https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/rider-radio-on-620-ckrm/id1148774694
listen to "5th Quarter" and "Rider Roundtable"

P.S. I like how WFC plays the post-game show on the speakers outside IGF.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

I'm always disappointed when I'm driving home from the game and the show ends before I get home.

That said, if I don't drive to the game (or of it's an away game), I don't listen to the show at all.
My wife is amazing!

barbk

I live in Sandy Hook, (between Winnipeg Beach and Gimli) so it usually takes me 2 hours to get home after the game with traffic from the stadium.
I always listen to CJOB then I switch to Game Day After Dark Bonfire Post Game with Darrin Bauming and Zac Schnitzer.  The only thing is you can't see
the highlights or replays unless I'm the passenger.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Most post-game shows are endless regurgitation of what is already known, rarely does anyone add any insight based on verified knowledge or fact, especially drunken callers.  It's mostly time wasting chatter, which is fine if you have nothing else to do I guess.

Stretch

They need a longer post game show in Saskatchewan to talk about all of the problems with that lame-azz franchise.

#FourStripesForLife
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

dd

3 hours?!?! What meaningful discussion is happening in hour 2 let alone 3?? Who has time to watch a 3 hour football game and then kill another 3 listening to rants?? One hour is more than enough post game, I ll take quality over quantity any day

Waffler

It was longer with Bob Irving. Not 3 hours but a lot longer than now. He would talk to players until they were gone, sometimes take calls. I liked it. The glory days of course were when they had about 4 guys on including Jack Wells giving out the happy honker. Not quite sure when that ended but they had a lot of fun with it.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 09, 2023, 03:46:40 PM
Most post-game shows are endless regurgitation of what is already known, rarely does anyone add any insight based on verified knowledge or fact, especially drunken callers.  It's mostly time wasting chatter, which is fine if you have nothing else to do I guess.

That's true, they tend to pick a couple/few themes and then crush them to death.

However, some people like the football chatter, even if repetitive.  I know that I get in a "football day" mood on Bomber days, and I'm always up hours after the games anyhow, and I like consuming as much Bomber content as I can.  It doesn't get "old" to me until I finally go to bed and wake up to a non-Bomber day.

So I guess I'm the target market for longer radio shows, not you, and that's fine: they only need a certain percentage of fans to make it worthwhile.

I do find it a bit disappointing that on the 3 nights WPG plays SSK, once the Bomber CJOB show stops I'm forced to switch to CKRM to continue getting content to satisfy my appetite.

P.S. I find the drunk fans hilarious, though they don't hold a candle to the vibrating ones  :D :D :P
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

CJOB blew the budget on Hal and Toths mostly pointless shows.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stretch on October 09, 2023, 08:49:23 PM
They need a longer post game show in Saskatchewan to talk about all of the problems with that lame-azz franchise.

#FourStripesForLife

Haha, ya.  They certainly are more animated on loss nights than win nights.  However, I'm sure they still had their 3-4 hour post-game shows back when they were finishing 1st or 2nd in the W just a scant couple/few seasons ago.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: barbk on October 09, 2023, 02:56:42 PM
I live in Sandy Hook, (between Winnipeg Beach and Gimli) so it usually takes me 2 hours to get home after the game with traffic from the stadium.

I always take the kid down to the field after and pretty much hang around until they kick us out.  By the time we walk to my secret parking place and start driving there's only 5-10 mins left of our CJOB show.  It always bums me out I missed the whole show.

Hey maybe they could just replay the post-game show a second time right after it ends the first time!  :P  It's not like there's anything else even remotely worth listening to on CJOB  :P :P :P :o
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 10, 2023, 03:09:16 AM
Hey maybe they could just replay the post-game show a second time right after it ends the first time!  :P  It's not like there's anything else even remotely worth listening to on CJOB  :P :P :P :o

The whole post game show is always on The Blue Bombers Podcast Feed. Any useful info they get from an interview is always in the paper the next day though.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

blue_gold_84

90 mins. would be good, IMO.

#FourStripesForLife

LOL :D
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

wpg#1

That rider post game show on CKRM has the same people calling in every week. 3 hours of that is way to much talk about nothing. I get why they do it, people travel from far and wide to rider games, so they have something to listen to.
I agree, the Bomber post game show could be a little longer, but certainly not 3 hours.
GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

bomb squad

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 09, 2023, 05:13:17 AM
I often (now) tune in to Regina's CKRM after SSK games.  They do a 30-45min post-game show ("The 5th Quarter"), and then after that a 2-3 hour "Radio Roundtable".  That's usually 3+ hours of football radio after the game.  Even when they played in BC last week and the game ended around midnight CDT, they did the radio show well until around 3am CDT.  And the shows are generally pretty good: at least as good as ours.

My question is, why can't us Bombers fans have the same?  Our show, on a good night when we're lucky, goes for maybe 45-60 mins after the final whistle.  I think we should have the same level of radio time as the SSK fans enjoy.

The probable justifications on the SSK side should also apply to the WPG side:

1. Our fan base is probably as big as SSK's.  Maybe more importantly, more people show up to IGF games.  This is all potential audience.  If it justifies CKRM doing it, it should justify CJOB doing it.

2. Our fan base is geographically diverse and scattered around the province like SSK fans (albeit a little less so).  A lot of people (including ones on this forum) have 2 hour drives back home after each game.  That's a captive, ready-made audience.  The 2-3 hour drive-home people justify CKRM doing it, it should justify CJOB doing it.

3. The fan engagement in WPG must be similar to that of SSK.  These are people who will tune into a post-game show if there is one.  If it justifies CKRM doing it, it should justify CJOB doing it.

So how does CKRM do it?  They have the in-game play by play guys do the short post-game.  Then they switch after that to some different hosts, like a tag-team.  So CJOB would have to hire some different people to do the late show.  They don't have to be highly paid, many people would jump at that job.  You can have a "voice" like Ponticelli (oooh, my fave), and an ex-player or two, and maybe an old coach or someone.  Just like CKRM.  They don't have to be superstars: just people who sound ok on radio, have half a brain, and have a lot to say once a week.  Heck, I could do it! <grin>

So why not, eh, CJOB and WFC??

Sample:
https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/rider-radio-on-620-ckrm/id1148774694
listen to "5th Quarter" and "Rider Roundtable"

P.S. I like how WFC plays the post-game show on the speakers outside IGF.

Not only that, but they also have another radio station, CJME, that has pre and post game shows as well. Similar to what cjob did a ways back when they lost the broadcast rights for awhile. So their audience is actually split. You can actually switch back and forth during commercials and you'll even hear the some of the same callers calling in to both shows. It's weird to have that in a small market like that. I think that's what the main driver is of the overcoverage is there. A fierce competition between the two stations. CJME trying to force the game broadcaster keep up with them.

GOLDMEMBER

#FourStripesForLife
LOL, ZING! Post of the year.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bomb squad on October 10, 2023, 06:24:15 PM
Not only that, but they also have another radio station, CJME, that has pre and post game shows as well. Similar to what cjob did a ways back when they lost the broadcast rights for awhile. So their audience is actually split. You can actually switch back and forth during commercials and you'll even hear the some of the same callers calling in to both shows. It's weird to have that in a small market like that. I think that's what the main driver is of the overcoverage is there. A fierce competition between the two stations. CJME trying to force the game broadcaster keep up with them.

It's Sask., they have nothing else to talk about other than the Riders and the wind, there's nothing else going on...

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bomb squad on October 10, 2023, 06:24:15 PM
Not only that, but they also have another radio station, CJME, that has pre and post game shows as well.

Is the CJME stuff any good?  Do they go as long after the game as CKRM?  I'll check it out.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 11, 2023, 02:50:35 AM
Is the CJME stuff any good?  Do they go as long after the game as CKRM?  I'll check it out.

Yah much better, the 3 hosts take it pretty easy and don't rant like Ball, it's more enjoyable.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 11, 2023, 05:26:58 AM
Yah much better, the 3 hosts take it pretty easy and don't rant like Ball, it's more enjoyable.

Ball is gone for the final 2-3 hours on CKRM.  It's Ponticelli, the Professor and Katz (sp?) I think.

I'll check out CJME too.  Some nights I can't get enough football...
Never go full Rider!

bomb squad

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 11, 2023, 02:50:35 AM

They?re pretty good. Nye has an arrogant way about him, but that?s my opinion.

TecnoGenius

So the YES's have it 12-9 with voting closed.  So if over half the people here are showing an interest in perhaps listening to an extended broadcast, that should indicate there probably is enough of a market for CJOB to add an additional postgame show.

We'll see of the 'OB listens.  I won't hold my breath!  But at least we drew attention to the disparity.  We don't like having the Greenies beat us at anything, including radio broadcasts!
Never go full Rider!