Edmonton @ Winnipeg Pre Game

Started by Pigskin, October 08, 2023, 09:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

We're off the bye, which we usually win.

We know if we win this one game we are #1 in W and have home WDF.

We know it's our last home game, last chance to impress and thank the fans.

We know we should win against a weak EDM team.

I think we got this game.  Hopefully we get to garbage time early and Dru, Johnny and BOO can get warmed up for the subsequent week.

As for help, if BC wins and SSK wins, or CGY wins and TOR wins, then CGY will have nothing to play for in the final week (I think) and we can do a pro-bowl style exhibition game.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Looking like pretty decent weather for the game on Saturday. To bad it wasn't an afternoon game. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Lincoln Locomotive

Edmonton would love to play the spoiler in this game...,,they have nothing else to play for other than evaluation of players for next season.    And they have a very mobile QB which our D has trouble containing.    We certainly should win however this is the CFL after all and we just came off an emotional roller coaster of a game in BC.   There are no easy games or freebie games and we need to lock up first place sooner than later.....
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on October 16, 2023, 03:52:48 PM
Looking like pretty decent weather for the game on Saturday. To bad it wasn't an afternoon game. 
An afternoon game would suck despite the weather and ticket sales would suffer.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on October 16, 2023, 03:58:47 PM
Edmonton would love to play the spoiler in this game...,,they have nothing else to play for other than evaluation of players for next season.    And they have a very mobile QB which our D has trouble containing.    We certainly should win however this is the CFL after all and we just came off an emotional roller coaster of a game in BC.   There are no easy games or freebie games and we need to lock up first place sooner than later.....
Calgary beats BC anyways prior to.  ;)
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Horseman

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 16, 2023, 06:01:25 PM
Calgary beats BC anyways prior to.  ;)

Praying you are right, but not holding much hope after watching Cal trying so desperately to give their last game to Sask.

northof30

Quote from: Horseman on October 16, 2023, 06:24:57 PM
Praying you are right, but not holding much hope after watching Cal trying so desperately to give their last game to Sask.

Well, extra motivation for Calgary is that if they can find a way to beat BC they probably have a much easier final game against Winnipeg.

J5V

I wouldn't count on getting any help although Calgary is the only team besides us to beat the Argos this year. That means they're perfectly capable of beating the Lions too, especially if VAJ is playing on a wonky knee. Anything is possible. I fully expect us needing to beat Edmonton to wrap up first and we will.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on October 16, 2023, 10:07:02 PM
especially if VAJ is playing on a wonky knee. Anything is possible. I fully expect us needing to beat Edmonton to wrap up first and we will.

I don't see how BC could possibly play VAJ if it risks making his knee worse.  You would do that for a playoff, but not for a reg season game, especially when you have virtually no chance of changing the final reg season outcome.  No, you rest him 3 whole weeks before the WSF.

If VAJ is fine, he plays.  If VAJ has some knee ligament strain that could turn into a tear, then he sits.  Evans if more than capable, especially against horrifically awful CGY.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 17, 2023, 12:49:43 AM
I don't see how BC could possibly play VAJ if it risks making his knee worse.  You would do that for a playoff, but not for a reg season game, especially when you have virtually no chance of changing the final reg season outcome.  No, you rest him 3 whole weeks before the WSF.

If VAJ is fine, he plays.  If VAJ has some knee ligament strain that could turn into a tear, then he sits.  Evans if more than capable, especially against horrifically awful CGY.
I don't completely disagree, but we've seen games go South on Evans before and it could happen again. That's the scenario where I see Campbell playing VAJ, even on a wonky knee. As long as the mathematical chance exists for BC to win the West, they'll try. Did you notice how long Dinwiddie left Kelly in the game the other night and they had nothing to play for but ego.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on October 17, 2023, 01:38:00 AM
I don't completely disagree, but we've seen games go South on Evans before and it could happen again. That's the scenario where I see Campbell playing VAJ, even on a wonky knee. As long as the mathematical chance exists for BC to win the West, they'll try.

I don't know... everyone knows BC needs VAJ to win the WDF and the GC.  Evans will not win those games.  If he's got 2 games or less in him due to injury, you don't waste those games in the reg season.  You just don't.  You accept reality and take 2nd in the W and start Evans in the WSF @BC because any QB can beat SSK or CGY.  Save VAJ for the "hard" games, and pray he can make it through them.

If they do start a clearly injured VAJ in the next 2 games, and he blows out his knee, I can see a lot of fans and pundits coming down hard on Campbell.  I really don't think he'll do it because he may be the biggest "thinker" HC in the CFL.

The best case for VAJ is the injury is a nothingburger and a brace to keep it from getting weak laterally will do the trick.  Didn't Matt Nichols wear one of those for a while?  Sure, VAJ will lose 80% of his threat to run, but he'll still be able to chuck those mid/deep balls they like so much.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

BC has one regular season game left. I could see them starting Evans against Calgary. The chances of us losing the next two games is slim. VA has taken a beating the last couple of weeks and mite need a few weeks off.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pigskin on October 17, 2023, 04:29:29 PM
BC has one regular season game left. I could see them starting Evans against Calgary. The chances of us losing the next two games is slim. VA has taken a beating the last couple of weeks and mite need a few weeks off.

I guess it depends how hurt VA is. If he was relatively healthy I'd start him, win the game, and then put the pressure on us. If he's going to be limping around, then yes. Rest and hope for the best. Evans is a good backup. But I think you play it out if you can still win the West. The bye and home field advantage is too valuable to not try.

bwiser

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on October 16, 2023, 03:58:47 PM
This is the Elks Grey Cup. They would love to knock off the Bombers. I do not see the Bombers taking them lightly.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Derek Taylor
@DTonOB

15m
Day 1 of Bombers practice: no Dalton Schoen. Greg McCrae in his place with the offence.

Good chance to flip the ratio and make changes elsewhere, instead they roll with McCrae.

BA also not practicing, could see him pull up lame on the long pass to Rhymes at the end of the game.