American receiver Oliver Martin
American receiver Carlton Agudosi
American receiver Ronnie Blackmon
American defensive lineman Kuony Deng
American defensive back Abu Daramy-Swaray

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/10/05/blue-bombers-transactions-october-5/

3rdand1.5

Too bad I like Abu....
Agudosi, had such a great start then after injury never seemed to take advantage of opportunity

Unless a couple guys on the AR are going to the IR...eh it's a tough business to be in!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on October 05, 2023, 03:02:08 PM
Too bad I like Abu....
Agudosi, had such a great start then after injury never seemed to take advantage of opportunity

Unless a couple guys on the AR are going to the IR...eh it's a tough business to be in!

Abu was pretty decent. But I think he's buried on the depth chart behind:

Houston (when healthy)
Rose
Parker
Lawrence

So he probably decided to header on home. Or maybe to another CFL spot. I wonder if the Bombers were keeping him to see if they could move him at the deadline.

kkc60

Not a big fan of dropping ADS instead of Lawrence but oh well. Outside of Burtenshaw, ADS and Agudosi I would expect the rest to return. As for Burtenshaw, there must be a new Canadian STer coming in. We have none as it stands on the PR.

Blueforlife

Sure hope some of these names find a new home this year or next in the league.  Some decent talent there.  Maybe we can invite them next year.

Keeping Lawrence was the right move imo but Abu wasn't far behind.  This is what happens when you are a veteran club with good team depth.
Sometimes you need a fresh start

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: kkc60 on October 05, 2023, 03:15:06 PM
Not a big fan of dropping ADS instead of Lawrence but oh well. Outside of Burtenshaw, ADS and Agudosi I would expect the rest to return. As for Burtenshaw, there must be a new Canadian STer coming in. We have none as it stands on the PR.

The only one I could think of is Ford but he wouldn't be going to the practice roster. Our special teams haven't been great this year, especially the coverage teams. We've used all our bullets there and have come up a bit empty so it's not really a surprise -- we're out of options ratio-wise to fix it. We either use more American starters down the stretch (likely) or make due with what we have.

Pete

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 05, 2023, 02:32:15 PM
The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following transactions:

Released from the practice roster:

Global punter Karl Schmitz
National fullback Konner Burtenshaw

not sure what this says about our scouting when at least two of these players were on our negotiation list and couldnt make the practice roster. Particularly disappointed in Kuony Deng.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pete on October 05, 2023, 04:00:19 PM
not sure what this says about our scouting when at least two of these players were on our negotiation list and couldnt make the practice roster. Particularly disappointed in Kuony Deng.

It doesn't say anything. You don't airdrop in players who have not played in the CFL before, have no idea of the rules or the playbook, and then dress them in the most important games of the year. These guys are here for evaluation and to see if there is a fit on both sides to attend training camp next year. That's how it works.

Blueforlife

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 05, 2023, 04:05:57 PM
It doesn't say anything. You don't airdrop in players who have not played in the CFL before, have no idea of the rules or the playbook, and then dress them in the most important games of the year. These guys are here for evaluation and to see if there is a fit on both sides to attend training camp next year. That's how it works.
Agree all and our scouts are lights good, many good finds in the last little while.
Sometimes you need a fresh start

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 05, 2023, 02:32:15 PM
The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following transactions:

Released from the practice roster:

Global punter Karl Schmitz
National fullback Konner Burtenshaw

A few things:

1. We don't usually see a Canadian that is in his 2nd season released from the PR  ( Burtenshaw ). I guess that explains why he couldn't replace Jackson.
2. I'm not sure if I'm surprised about Agudosi considering our potential free agents in 2024. That leaves Alston as our only current import depth.
3. Also surprised about ADS but it's possible he asked for his release? I haven't heard that but McGhee was kept instead and Lawrence is close to healthy.
4. 7 players released so there are a couple of spots open. So there could be some additional " adjustments " one of which did they actually bring back Givhan?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Why now?  Is there a PR cutdown date looming?  If so a ton of players are going to be dumped across the league.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 05, 2023, 05:04:15 PM
Why now?  Is there a PR cutdown date looming?  If so a ton of players are going to be dumped across the league.

Yes the expansion of 5 additional players was for only 30 days and we're probably close to that. We're also going into another bye so this would be the time to make those releases. I wouldn't expect any good players to be released by the other teams from their PR. Most will be the ones that were added over the last 30 days. They were brought in for look see going into 2024.

There might be a few 2nd year players being released as the Bombers have done. If they weren't good enough to make AR's much or even stick on PR's, that's not a good sign.  We did release 3 players that have been with the team either since 2022 or 2023 TC.

OTOH, I could see ADS possibly be picked up due to the number of starting DB's injured across the CFL. He might even make an AR as a result. In Winnipeg we have some other choices although I'm sorry to see him go.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 05, 2023, 05:04:15 PM

Ya, I'm a bit surprised by a number of these cuts.  I thought they were being kept for depth going into the playoffs?  Like Agudosi and ADS, and maybe Burtenshaw.

With Houston out I thought ADS was critical depth.  Clearly they think the ageing vet Lawrence is the better post-season bet.  But after him, that's it for the cupboard.  Do we have the option of re-upping ADS should injuries dictate?  Or are we past dates for pick-ups?

Maybe this hints that Houston's thing isn't too serious.  It will be important that after maybe 4 weeks of rest he can play in the playoffs.

Agudosi was basically the only other IMP R after McCrae.  So we're rolling with what we have and knock wood there are no injuries.  McCrae will do as a stand in the last 2 weeks, but you don't want to start him over our other IMP R's in the playoffs!  Then again, I'd start McCrae over Agudosi any day of the week.  I don't see Agudosi back next year.  Time to scout a brand new guy.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Well Houston is just on 1 game IR. Lawrence was moved to PR and we still have McGhee on the PR. So the cupboard is not exactly bare.

I was a bit surprised that we were able to cut Lawrence and put him on the PR. We're past veteran cut down date but I suppose because he only played 3 games that makes him exempt from that rule? In that sense I'm surprised he accepted to some degree.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 06, 2023, 01:55:13 PM
Well Houston is just on 1 game IR. Lawrence was moved to PR and we still have McGhee on the PR. So the cupboard is not exactly bare.

I was a bit surprised that we were able to cut Lawrence and put him on the PR. We're past veteran cut down date but I suppose because he only played 3 games that makes him exempt from that rule? In that sense I'm surprised he accepted to some degree.

We don't know how much he's being paid. The practice roster salary that is usually quoted is the minimum allowed. It all counts against cap. Theoretically, he could be making his full salary.