0 (0%)
-1 with move to add a Canadian
3 (20%)
Remove designation
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: October 15, 2023, 06:39:05 PM

Blue In BC

Let's see what posters think. I'm not sure what Ambrosie will mandate so this is more about what posters would like to happen. Poll open for 14 days to also allow any other discussions about global players, like pool size, draft rounds and which players on our roster ( AR, IR and PR ) will be with the Bombers in 2024. No specific need to name names but turnover expectations? We have 5 at the moment.

EDIT: I didn't vote. I just want to see what other posters think.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TBURGESS

None of the above. Remove the Global designation completely.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 01, 2023, 08:08:58 PM
None of the above. Remove the Global designation completely.

I added that to the poll options. If that was done what would your preference be as far as the roster size or adding back 2 Canadians?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

TBURGESS

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 01, 2023, 08:51:12 PM
I added that to the poll options. If that was done what would your preference be as far as the roster size or adding back 2 Canadians?
Roster size to stay the same.

I think there should be 2 types of players... Canadian's and Imports.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Jesse

I'd keep it the same. Raise the levels of the players we have, before increasing it.

If the league wants to make this a success, need to find a way to strengthen the ties between the CFL and an international league. I know we wanted to send Canadians overseas as well, to create a type of development league, but the leagues were so mismanged that I don't think they could convince anyone to go back, if they even tried.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on October 01, 2023, 11:41:12 PM
I'd keep it the same. Raise the levels of the players we have, before increasing it.

If the league wants to make this a success, need to find a way to strengthen the ties between the CFL and an international league. I know we wanted to send Canadians overseas as well, to create a type of development league, but the leagues were so mismanged that I don't think they could convince anyone to go back, if they even tried.

Pretty sure the Global program has been a failure, but the league may not get rid of it until they get rid of Ambrosie, or he chooses to move on.  Can't see anyone on the CFL BOD being interested in this project, I think it was Randy's pitch,  fishing for market solutions.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 01, 2023, 08:51:12 PM

Quote from: Waffler on October 01, 2023, 10:24:46 PM
More Canadian content always.

Oh for sure you add back NATs.  You never lower the AR size itself.  It's already too low.  Teams who get a lot of injuries are screwed for the whole season.  Look at SSK and HAM, and maybe CGY, OTT.  (EDM has no excuse.)

I don't think many like the whole GLOB idea.  So it's really 2 separate discussion: 1) what we'd like to happen, vs 2) how best to mitigate the next nonsense idea/change Ambrosie lobs our way.

Yes, GLOBs were Ambrosie's pet project... and maybe now that the "latest thing" is all he wants to do with Genius, maybe he'll ease off or even abandon the GLOB stuff, and hope it quietly slips away with people distracted with the shiny Genius.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

They dropped the ball by adding the Hansen rule. 

GLB players need to be ELC, min wage.  The extra bodies at min wage gives them ability to develop into quality players.

Once developed, rather than letting them stay protected by the GLB status and chew up that spot, they should be given an option to give up that status and make the team competing with the Americans. 

Would you pay an ex-GLB punter the same as a US punter?  Of course, if he was better.  Or you can hide your P in the GLB spot if he never want to make more than the minimum.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on October 02, 2023, 01:53:01 PM

GLB players need to be ELC, min wage.  The extra bodies at min wage gives them ability to develop into quality players.

Once developed, rather than letting them stay protected by the GLB status and chew up that spot, they should be given an option to give up that status and make the team competing with the Americans. 

Would you pay an ex-GLB punter the same as a US punter?  Of course, if he was better.  Or you can hide your P in the GLB spot if he never want to make more than the minimum.

The pool of American punters is very large compared to the pool for Global punters or kickers. In the past some players were both punters and kickers. That has become more specialized with one of each.

Taking the Bombers as an example: I have no doubt we could find an American punter equal or better than Sheehan. The catch is that it requires using another DI spot instead of the global " free space " on the bingo card.

If we had a Canadian kicker or even a global, we might have seen the opposite combination we currently have.  I'm not so sure that we wouldn't have been better off retaining Leigghio as our punter and back up kicker. He would have been more expensive, but better depth as well and allowed a different global player on the AR for ST's. His average was higher than Sheehan's and IMO his placement was better most of the time.

I don't agree that a Canadian punter wouldn't be paid more than the minimum if he has a long successful career. Again it becomes a bidding war in free agency just the same as any position.

For that matter a top import that does both ( Medlock ) would be in high demand. IIRC he was getting $180K or there about. Any Canadian that does both at that level would be pure gold.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Once developed, rather than letting them stay protected by the GLB status and chew up that spot, they should be given an option to give up that status and make the team competing with the Americans

I think the thing was Hansen was going to walk if he couldn't get a (probably deserved) salary bump.  So why not let them get a salary bump after a few years?  They've earned it.  And if their ask is too big for the team or the league, then the teams will let them walk.

No GLOB punter will ever earn a AR spot on any team if they turn into an IMP and take up a DI.  None of them are good enough to justify a DI.  How many IMP punters starting in the CFL right now?  One?  It's nearly impossible to justify a punt-only punter IMP in the CFL.

Kind of the same thing for non-kicking GLOBs.  Hansen might get a $ bump as a GLOB, but if you suddenly make him an IMP, he's either not making any AR, or, if he manages to get signed, he's back to being paid IMP ELC money.  Why?  Because he's not any better than a rookie/sophomore IMP.

BinBC is right, you're missing the critical point that it's the NAT/GLOB/IMP classification that sets the salary because of supply and demand within that classification only.  It's no different than if you had NATs turn into IMPs after 3 years: their salaries would drop precipitously and many/most would not make an AR.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

QUOTE: I think the thing was Hansen was going to walk if he couldn't get a (probably deserved) salary bump.  So why not let them get a salary bump after a few years?  They've earned it.  And if their ask is too big for the team or the league, then the teams will let them walk.

Yes he was going to walk but it still falls into the supply / demand picture. He's the best of the lot and in that sense deserved the raise. It's only about $20K above the ELC in the CBA.

I was looking at the global players drafted in 2022 and 2023. Many didn't report and those that did mostly made PR lists if they weren't kickers of some sort.

3 rounds in 2022 and 2 rounds in 2023. That's about 45 players. How many rounds will we see in 2024 not that nearly every team has somewhat of quota of K's or P's. lol

The poll is showing support for adding another global or status quo from a few posters. That surprises me a bit. OTOH if the category disappeared in 2024 the Bombers would be looking for a punter and they are in short supply unless dual role players ( Medlock ).

That makes them a small pool in a small pool that fit into the ratio. Using 2 DI's for kickers is not the best option.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

It's not an anomaly, there were 8 Ausi Rules punters playing in the NFL in the 2022-23 season and almost one on every CFL roster, they are the most technically gifted punters in the world.  Troy Westwood said much the same on the Bonfire Podcast, N.A. football kickers are taught one basic method, these punters have a whole bag of techniques they can employ and they're advancing the kicking game.

Blue In BC

Not many voters overall. C'mon posters make your views known.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 03, 2023, 05:29:23 PM
Not many voters overall. C'mon posters make your views known.

I don't think many people care  about roster construction or globals or DAs vs DIs etc etc.

It's complicated and none of us know the rules but get into these heated arguments with others who also don't know the rules.

My wife is amazing!