Winnipeg @ BC pre-game

Started by Pigskin, September 30, 2023, 04:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waffler

Gonna be a war. No blowouts either way this time. Very tough to win in a packed BC Place. The upper deck is bound to be open. This is basically the first playoff game of the season.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

dd

By far, the most important game of the season, winner likely gets first place and home field advantage in WDF

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on October 01, 2023, 02:23:01 PM
That will be the key because he has a huge array of very talented receivers and can throw the long bombs successfully.    This game is basically make or break for us and will basically determine whether we win the West.   The way we've been playing lately, I won't be surprised if BC puts us away as they have been playing well lately and winning the games they needed to win.

Here's my math:

Zach equal to or better than VAJ
WPG receivers = BC receivers
WPG OL equal to or slightly better than BC OL
WPG RB 1000X better than BC RB

So it might come down to ST and D.  BC ST isn't anything great, and we may get Grant back.  Therefore it comes down to D.

BC DB better than WPG DB
BC DL better than WPG DL, but not by much (mostly DT strength)
WPG WILL/MIKE better than BC
BC SAM better then WPG

If our D can get 1+ INTs out VAJ it might be the difference maker.  Our D can probably hang with them, but our O will have to match score for score.  There's always a chance VAJ will implode (remember the 6-INT game anyone?).  He's a high risk / high reward QB.

If we can start getting pressure and leave someone around the middle flat to protect against VAJ runs and Mizzel draws then we should be able to neuter that big play O to some degree.

This isn't Hall's first time facing a deep game O.  Back in '18-'19 we faced a lot of deep threat QBs.  CFL isn't like that very much anymore, but Hall still retains the knowledge.  Go haul out the playbooks from those years.  We used to be the INT leaders with guys like Fogg and Moe and Heath.  Let's do it again.  Cut the D loose.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on October 01, 2023, 10:29:29 PM
Gonna be a war. No blowouts either way this time. Very tough to win in a packed BC Place. The upper deck is bound to be open. This is basically the first playoff game of the season.

It will be a war.  I think our guys have a feeling going into this game like much like that of the '19 WSF when we went into a high-powered hostile CGY and clobbered them.  If we start off down, I think that only fuels the fire.

I doubt BC opens the upper deck.  They barely had a reason to even with LL Cool J.  Even a BC home playoff might not sell more than the lower bowl, unless whatshisface brings in another big act.  BC gonna BC.
Never go full Rider!

3rdand1.5

The nice thing is the more Brady churns out the yards and the clock the less VA is on the field....although we did this against T.O in spades and a back-up QB looked like Flutie out on the field as he moved around virtually un-bothered by our pressure.

IMO the two keys to a win for us are;
Get pressure on VA early
Get Brady going early

Against the smaller BC front Brady should do well, but I have big concern about our front 7  both getting to VA and containing him, and like him or not VA may just be the second best QB this season.....

Pigskin

No practice for me today. Had both the breakfast and lunch shift at the school today. Lunch today is home made perogies.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

northof30

By 3Down Staff - October 2, 2023_ CFL Power Rankings:
The writer(s) don't seem to be too enamoured with the Bombers.

"After a whole lot of whining from the Winnipeg media about the cowardly Boatmen resting starters, the Bombers nearly stubbed their toe against the assembled backups. Luckily they had Brady Oliveira to keep the engine running smoothly, as the homegrown back powered for 169 yards and now has 330 yards more than his next-closest competition for the rushing title. At least he didn?t slip in the avian feces some analysts suggested would be all over IG Field."

peg_city

Vegas have the Bomber favoured by .5

The fact that the Bombers haven't played well the last two weeks have me concerned about this game. Although, maybe they show up?

Winner of this game basically has the west final.

RebusRankin

Quote from: northof30 on October 02, 2023, 09:07:04 PM
By 3Down Staff - October 2, 2023_ CFL Power Rankings:
The writer(s) don't seem to be too enamoured with the Bombers.

"After a whole lot of whining from the Winnipeg media about the cowardly Boatmen resting starters, the Bombers nearly stubbed their toe against the assembled backups. Luckily they had Brady Oliveira to keep the engine running smoothly, as the homegrown back powered for 169 yards and now has 330 yards more than his next-closest competition for the rushing title. At least he didn?t slip in the avian feces some analysts suggested would be all over IG Field."

3DNation is essentially a fan site. You can get better writing and analysis from this board, MBB etc.

Pete

From what I've head the only media person to question the argos decision was Doug Brown who did call the move chicken  .....   
Last I heard Brown isn't the whole Winnipeg media. Just another example of poor reporting. Interesting that they dont name the author..just 3 down staff

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pete on October 03, 2023, 02:40:22 AM
From what I've head the only media person to question the argos decision was Doug Brown who did call the move chicken  .....   
Last I heard Brown isn't the whole Winnipeg media. Just another example of poor reporting. Interesting that they dont name the author..just 3 down staff
lol
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

northof30

? ?You hope at some point he comes back,? Bombers special teams co-ordinator Paul Boudreau said?.

This quote about Janarian Grant was reported in the Winnipeg Sun last week. Pretty stupid comment by Boudreau IMO. If you?re not sure he?s going to come back at some point then why is he there.

ModAdmin

There can be no reasonable question that...

- the October 6th game - Winnipeg @ BC - will dictate who finishes first in the West.

- this is the most important game in the regular season.

- Winnipeg must bring their A game in all three phases.

- Winnipeg must win to show they are the elite team in the West.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

PurpleReign

To be honest I am not worried about this game. We are better than BC. Brady gashed the Argos with 160 yards. The Bc front is small and can be run over fairly easily. I would pound the ball and eat up time of possession. The BC secondary can?t be toasted deep. We win by 14!!

Lincoln Locomotive

There's no question about VAJ being a difference maker and none of us really saw that coming at the beginning of the season.    He torched the riders through the air with 478 yards passing and broke the 400 yard mark.    We talk about the good VAJ and the bad VAJ.....well this season we are saying the same about Zach.   Which QB shows up this week?    If Brady gets going early and we establish a punishing ground game and Zach doesn't force the ball deep as often we can win this.    BC's DBs are generally better than ours and a shootout style game favours them.    Control the game with Bully Ball and intermediate passing routes
Bomber fan for life