Lawler to the slot

Started by TecnoGenius, September 30, 2023, 09:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Didn't Lawler previously play slot for us in '19 and '21?  Maybe I'm misremembering, but this rings some bells.

My question is: why are we wasting him out wide at weak side WR?  The weak-side isn't as short as it used to be with the hash changes.  Lawler isn't getting many looks out there, and when he does, he's not making any use of them (drops, whiffs, screwups).  Except for that 200 yard game he's done mostly diddly squat (I know, because I often pick him in fantasy, waiting for him to wake up, but he doesn't).

I know he's a skinny guy who could be creamed in the dangerous crossers from the slot, but it seems to me we could see a lot more of those zone-deconstructions that he was so good at before, and more post routes in the middle.  For whatever reason, Zach's high-angle (horizontally) throws are not as accurate this season, making it even harder to connect with Lawler.  And being skinny high-skill vs a bruiser he's not as good at blocking, and may squawk at being tasked as such.

But something has to be done.  I would move Bailey to weak side wide out WR: didn't he play that a lot for us before?  I know he's a great blocker, but we can bring him in tight for blocking plays, or make use of the fact we often have a TE (OL or Jackson), even on pass plays.

Something has to be done to get Kenny more productive or I'm pretty sure we'll find ways to shed him in the off-season and it will feel like 2023 was a wasted Kenny opportunity (with much of it on Kenny's shoulders).
Never go full Rider!

Tiger

We need to throw him the ball period.  On 50/50 balls it is more like 80/20.  L
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

Jesse

I'm pretty sure I saw him line up in many different spots.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Tiger on September 30, 2023, 02:18:19 PM

Not sure if it was Collaros or Lawler, but last night it seemed like the 50 50 balls he had no chance on at all, and he was struggling to get open, and even dropped one/had one stripped...

Not sure if he hasn't become the leagues most expensive decoy... which isn't a bad thing.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

It wasn't Lawler's best game but he was well covered. IMO it was more of a timing issue with Collaros because of pressure and being off target as a result with his placement. The Argos may have schemed more to taking away Lawler instead of Schoen but that left him and Woli open often. Lawler is more the deepest most dangerous of our receivers but the others are really great at YAC.

Either way OL and or schemes need to provide better protection.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

They shut down the deep ball.  We will adjust.
Sometimes you need a fresh start

J5V

Quote from: Blueforlife on September 30, 2023, 05:18:31 PM
They shut down the deep ball.  We will adjust.
Agree. Lawler was double-teamed most of the night. Throwing into double coverage is rarely a good idea although with Lawler, he is likely to come down with the ball and Zach knows it! LOL!
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on September 30, 2023, 03:46:00 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw him line up in many different spots.

I was watching Lawler pretty closely, as I had him in fantasy and I wanted to know where he was lined up most plays.  I didn't see him out of his wide out spot at all except maybe on that sweep (which was brilliant and lots of fun, and never used before).  But I may have missed a couple of plays.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Tiger on September 30, 2023, 02:18:19 PM

But it's not lately.  His great game was the 2nd BC game week 9, but since then he's been pretty invisible.

week rec attempts
10 2 7
11 2 5
12 2 4
13 2 5
14 4 7 (his only other good game, the BB)
15 3 7
17 3 6 (vs TOR)

He's been whiffing and dropping a lot lately, and losing battles with the coverage.  His week 15 and 17 particularly had him losing out on very (for a top-3 receiver) catchable balls.  Does Mack or Gino make those catches?? ??

Ya, some of it is on Zach and Buck, but when the ball is around Kenny, you expect a completion 80% of the time.

The best hope will be that he's just getting back to speed and will find his mojo for the post season.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 30, 2023, 11:24:22 PM
But it's not lately.  His great game was the 2nd BC game week 9, but since then he's been pretty invisible.
The best hope will be that he's just getting back to speed and will find his mojo for the post season.
He was completely invisible in the first half. I don't remember Zach targeting him at all but if the Argos had him blanketed, which may well be the case, then Zach can't and shouldn't force the ball, hence the production by Woli and Shoen. It was that kind of night. As was mentioned, it was a very Stubler-ish D the argos were playing.
Go Bombers!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: J5V on October 01, 2023, 01:10:53 AM
He was completely invisible in the first half. I don't remember Zach targeting him at all but if the Argos had him blanketed, which may well be the case, then Zach can't and shouldn't force the ball, hence the production by Woli and Shoen. It was that kind of night. As was mentioned, it was a very Stubler-ish D the argos were playing.

Meh, Lawler was a luxury the Bombers probably couldn't afford but signed anyway, he's not Superman and he's having trouble living up to the billing.  Zach trying to redeem his value by throwing long bombs into double coverage is likely to get them both killed. 

This team needs to focus on what actually works and stop pissing around with thinking they can do whatever they want, whenever they want.  They have lost the advantage of being a dominant team and have been surpassed on a number of fronts.  This season they can be considered one of the better teams, but they have shown they can be beat by almost any team, on any given Sunday.

dd

We tried to get the ball into Lawler s hands in a variety of ways, but give credit to #28 of the Argos, he was outstanding defensively and often it was only he and Lawler going for the ball and just flat out beat Lawler to the ball.

Pigskin

Lawler has had a few sub-par games. We need him to step up in the big games.

However with that said. His year hasn't been terrible. 9 games, 32/58 649 yards, 6 TDs, 20.2 Avg. 64 yards longest.

At the end of the season, Bombers will have to make some decisions. BO20, DS83, and RB88, will all need new contracts. Must sign BO20 and DS83.

His first 2 games back, 7 catches. After that mostly 2 catch games. His two biggest games as far as yardage goes, BC and Sask. at IG.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on October 01, 2023, 05:18:13 PM
However with that said. His year hasn't been terrible. 9 games, 32/58 649 yards, 6 TDs, 20.2 Avg. 64 yards longest.

That's the worst part to me.  Is that he's not catching catchable balls.  Sure, many are contested, but he's paid to win those contests.

I think the key to Lawler is to overthrow him every time if he gets behind coverage.  That way the defender cannot catch up.  It's either Lawler makes a circus diving grab or it falls on the turf (or he draws DPI).  These ones where it's thrown right between the D in his hip pocket and Kenny aren't working.

Then again, we brought in Kenny mostly to be the puzzle piece that was missing in the '22 GC... a clutch guy who could make the tough catches on the biggest stage.  Kenny may still be that guy, and in that regard may still be a huge success this year and worth the money and patience.  If he does in the GC what he did in the TOR game on Fri then he'll be a bust.
Never go full Rider!

LXTSN

He has that second gear that he doesn't really get into very often.
Remember in the Hamilton where they called that catch incomplete? He got up the next play, ran a perfect route with purpose and came up wide open in the endzone.
When he plays with anger or vengence he is a force to be reckoned with! Just needs some bulletin board material!
I can see him having a BIG playoffs!

blue_gold_84

Meh. I'm sure he's fine and one quiet game against a top team doesn't change anything.

I expect he'll have a big night on Friday in Vancouver.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pete

Lawlers best games in the past have been against BC. Lets hope that trend continues!

Lincoln Locomotive

TBH, and aside from perhaps 2 games where he had 200 hundred yards and another with over a 100, he's been somewhat of a disappointment this season.    Missing the first third of the season didn't help matters either.    His chemistry with Zach has been off and so has Zach who has either under or overthrown him on several occasions.    His numbers don't reflect what we're paying him and as one of the highest paid receivers in the CFL, his stats are underwhelming at best.    Dalton Schoen who is paid a fraction of what Lawler makes leads the league in receiving yards and has been dominant in his second season
Bomber fan for life

Pigskin

Yes, KL needs to be better:

Edmonton: 93 yards. first game back.
BC: 200 yards in a blow out.
Sask. 104 yards in a blow out.

He has had 5 games under 50 yards. Not KL numbers.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on October 04, 2023, 05:31:46 PM
Yes, KL needs to be better:

Edmonton: 93 yards. first game back.
BC: 200 yards in a blow out.
Sask. 104 yards in a blow out.

He has had 5 games under 50 yards. Not KL numbers.
wildly inconsistent.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Waffler

The 200 against BC probably means he gets extra attention Friday. It's pick your poison for them, one of the big three is going to be open enough times if Zach has time to find him. I am not concerned with Lawler's numbers at all. I like having the threat that he brings there.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

peg_city

It will be interesting to see who the Bombers keep during the off-season, Lawler or Schoen. Probably can't afford both.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: peg_city on October 04, 2023, 06:50:52 PM
It will be interesting to see who the Bombers keep during the off-season, Lawler or Schoen. Probably can't afford both.

I'd hate to see what happens if Schoen explores Free Agency, and he'd be dumb not to.  Bombers may have no choice but to hang onto Lawler.

Sir Blue and Gold

Isn't Oliveira up after this year too? We're going to need to move on from some bigger contracts.

VictorRomano

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 04, 2023, 07:31:27 PM
Isn't Oliveira up after this year too? We're going to need to move on from some bigger contracts.

We have many key pieces who's contracts are up this year, and many are going to be looking for raises based on the increasing cost of living:

- The entire starting OL:  Hardrick, Bryant, Neufeld, Gray, and Kolankowski are all pending FAs  Can't see us keeping this whole group together, and JH and SB are getting pretty long in the tooth.
- Oliveria, Augustine and McCrae are all up.  Brady will certainly be looking for a raise, don't know if JA will stick around to be second fiddle forever.
- Shoen, Grant, Woli, Agudosi, Bailey, and BOO are all up.  I don't think we can keep all these guys.
- Jefferson, Jeffcoat, Thomas and Walker are all up.
- all of our starting DB's are pending FAs.  Again, not gonna be able to keep them all.
- Dru Brown is an FA at the end of the season.  Seems like a guaranteed keeper if we can afford him and he doesn't want to try for a bigger payday and maybe a starting shot before ZC retires at the end of 2024 (can't see him playing too much longer)
- It seems the only place we have some guaranteed stability is the LB's, with Biggie and Wilson signed through 2024, but Clements and everyone else are FAs.

Pete

not much different than last year, but having said that Walters has been notable for his absence this year, we haven't heard anything from him since the season started. May be due to his contract status or lack there of?

Pigskin

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 04, 2023, 07:31:27 PM

He is.

blue_or_die

Y'all saying we're going into an off-season where we have some key FAs coming up and might not get to keep them all?

How will we possibly manage!!!  ;D
#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_or_die on October 04, 2023, 09:54:30 PM
Y'all saying we're going into an off-season where we have some key FAs coming up and might not get to keep them all?

Oh, you're right! No doubt we'll be fine. It will just be interesting to see who we'll keep and who might have to go.

theaardvark

Never an issue or worry as long as Walters in charge.  Who we sign and who we don't will depend on the demand and who we have on deck...

Yes, our roster will be a shopping list for any team, but if we want to sign anyone, at market value, I don't think that will be a problem.  No more "I'm going to Edm for $5k more" scenarios.  More "I'll stay for less to be with my brothers"

Which puts us in a good position...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

dd

Quote from: peg_city on October 04, 2023, 06:50:52 PM
That?s an eeeeeasy one- you keep Dalton schoen , and you replace the inconsistent and somewhat unproductive lawler with someone for 1/2 the salary we re paying now. Boom, let?s move onto something more difficult to discuss

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on October 05, 2023, 12:37:20 AM
That?s an eeeeeasy one- you keep Dalton schoen , and you replace the inconsistent and somewhat unproductive lawler with someone for 1/2 the salary we re paying now. Boom, let?s move onto something more difficult to discuss

Yup.  DS83 is maybe $200k in FA, Kenny over $300k.  DS producing all year, Kenny not so much.  DS is most $$ fantasy pick $13.5k all year.  Kenny is bargain basement at $9.5k since coming back.

If you can only keep 1, as of this moment you keep DS83.

If Kenny ups his game and is the difference maker in the post-season and GC, then you find a way to keep both.

I think Kenny will be more loyal to WPG than DS83, though.  We gave DS his big break and made him a star, but the young'n's who've never poked around FA are always keen to see what's out there.  Kenny has already seen the grass isn't greener, even if the bleachers are.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_or_die on October 04, 2023, 09:54:30 PM

I think it is critical that we get to the GC again.  We may not have to win it, but we need to show the FA players that we will always get them big playoff cheques and a shot at the title, and that we're still a dominant team.

If we are one and done in the WDF, or <gasp> the WSF, then retention will be harder.

Get to that cup and players will stay with WPG for a bit less $$ in FA.  Winning feels good.  Feeling good is worth 10-20% of your salary vs feeling like an Elks player.  Ask Kenny.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: VictorRomano on October 04, 2023, 08:55:07 PM
We have many key pieces who's contracts are up this year, and many are going to be looking for raises based on the increasing cost of living:

- The entire starting OL:  Hardrick, Bryant, Neufeld, Gray, and Kolankowski are all pending FAs  Can't see us keeping this whole group together, and JH and SB are getting pretty long in the tooth.
- Oliveria, Augustine and McCrae are all up.  Brady will certainly be looking for a raise, don't know if JA will stick around to be second fiddle forever.
- Shoen, Grant, Woli, Agudosi, Bailey, and BOO are all up.  I don't think we can keep all these guys.
- Jefferson, Jeffcoat, Thomas and Walker are all up.
- all of our starting DB's are pending FAs.  Again, not gonna be able to keep them all.
- Dru Brown is an FA at the end of the season.  Seems like a guaranteed keeper if we can afford him and he doesn't want to try for a bigger payday and maybe a starting shot before ZC retires at the end of 2024 (can't see him playing too much longer)
- It seems the only place we have some guaranteed stability is the LB's, with Biggie and Wilson signed through 2024, but Clements and everyone else are FAs.

Jiminy Crickets that's a frightening scenario!  Even more so if Walters walks away.  This may be the last hurrah, if they can't retain most of those players they'll have difficulty remaining in the top tier.

Here's my breakdown.

Hardrick-one more year maybe 2, no need for a bump as he's already one of the highest paid OT's.

Bryant-It's been a blast, but time to call it a day.

Neufeld-Couple more years left, may need a small bump for his final contract.

Gray-Bump, could get another 5 years out of him and he's versatile.

Kolankowski-Let him go earn the money he deserves back home, we have backups in waiting.

Oliveria-Big bump needed, maybe an extra $50k as RB's are rarely paid that much, no matter how good.

Augustine-Keep and make better use of his talent, no bump necessary.

McCrae-Bye!

Schoen-High priority, huge bump needed.

Grant-Missed much of the season, maybe small bump needed but again returners never earn big bucks.

Woli-Small bump, but everyone knows he's not going anywhere.

Agudosi-Depends what they do with Lawler, but likely moves on in FA towards a better opportunity to start.

Bailey-Small bump, he's appreciated but low man on the totem pole.

BOO-See Agudosi, adequate backup but Murphy's stock is rising.

Lawler-May have to sacrifice his large salary to pay some of his teammates, but doubt they get rid of him.

Jefferson-Already well paid and settled in Wpg. don't think it will take much to convince him to come back.

Jeffcoat-Possible surprise retirement depending on his health, paid fairly for always missing a few games.

Thomas-Time to hang em up Jake.

Lawson-Must retain to take over from Jake.

Walker-Reasonable bump needed if they want to retain him.

DB's-Dime a dozen, would like to hang onto all of them but they already have backups lined up ready to go.  Priority, BA, Holm, Nichols, maybe Rose.

Dru Brown-Will do what's best for his career, up to him to decide but the Bombers will not be able to match any lucrative offers.  I believe Zach is signed till the end of 2025, so that's a long time to wait.

Blueforlife

Anyone see the article in the free press about Lawler and more legal trouble?

I can't read it, wondering if someone could report back

Pete

he's basically being sued for the damages to the vehicle he was driving at the time of his impaired accident , it was a jeep he was leased at for no charge for the cfl season on the condition it be returned in good condition. The dealership (now defunct) is sueing him

Sir Blue and Gold

The headline and lead in is kind of stupid, for lack of a better word:

QuoteMore off-the-field problems for Bomber receiver

Winnipeg Blue Bombers star wide receiver Kenny Lawler has caught more legal trouble

Technically, I suppose, but it's just the financial fallout from the same single incident in 2021. Gotta get those clicks, Free Press.

blue_gold_84

Embarrassing clickbait. Poor form from the WFP.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on October 05, 2023, 07:45:03 PM
he's basically being sued for the damages to the vehicle he was driving at the time of his impaired accident , it was a jeep he was leased at for no charge for the cfl season on the condition it be returned in good condition. The dealership (now defunct) is sueing him

Interesting, which Jeep dealership went defunct?

Blueforlife

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 05, 2023, 08:02:39 PM
Interesting, which Jeep dealership went defunct?
Winnipeg Dodge Chrysler Ltd

Thanks for the info all

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 05, 2023, 12:50:56 AM
Kenny has already seen the grass isn't greener, even if the bleachers are.
I saw what you did there. :-)
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on October 05, 2023, 07:45:03 PM
he's basically being sued for the damages to the vehicle he was driving at the time of his impaired accident

Ah, then a nothingburger.  Civil cases have nothing to do with his immigration status or CFL eligibility.  Worst case is throw them the few grand they are asking for.  Hint for Kenny: pay them now, or pay the lawyers and them later.  These are almost never worth fighting, as only the lawyers win.

Since every vehicle in MB is under MPI, at worst they are looking for the damages on top of what MPI paid for.  Even after MPI fixes up a crash, the vehicle will be worth much less than an accident-free car.  That would be a legit gripe.

Quote from: J5V on October 05, 2023, 11:51:55 PM
I saw what you did there. :-)

;) 8)  I'm here all night, enjoy the veal.  :P
Never go full Rider!

wpg#1

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 06, 2023, 03:30:58 AM
Ah, then a nothingburger.  Civil cases have nothing to do with his immigration status or CFL eligibility.  Worst case is throw them the few grand they are asking for.  Hint for Kenny: pay them now, or pay the lawyers and them later.  These are almost never worth fighting, as only the lawyers win.

Since every vehicle in MB is under MPI, at worst they are looking for the damages on top of what MPI paid for.  Even after MPI fixes up a crash, the vehicle will be worth much less than an accident-free car.  That would be a legit gripe.

Is it possible MPI refuses to cover the insurance payout based on his impairment?  I believe that could void their coverage.  The lawsuit also alleges Lawler did not have a valid driver's license at the time of the crash. Oy vey.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 06, 2023, 05:49:21 PM
Is it possible MPI refuses to cover the insurance payout based on his impairment?  I believe that could void their coverage.  The lawsuit also alleges Lawler did not have a valid driver's license at the time of the crash. Oy vey.

Hmm, it looks like it's a grey area.  It's not the dealer's fault Kenny was impaired.

You'd think that if drunks were faced with eating a potential $50k loss if they total their $50k vehicle while drunk, there would be a lot less drunk driving?  I always thought MPI covered everything if you were properly registered.  Makes me wonder about alcoholics even more!!
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Go Bombers!

DM83

Poor Lawler.

Very stupid

Not worth the money, nor the affronts to society.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 06, 2023, 05:49:21 PM

I believe you are correct. If you are impaired your insurance is invalid. My cousins damaged his car and was found to be impaired. MPI paid for zero percent of the damages. 

dd

Quote from: Pigskin on October 07, 2023, 07:35:04 PM
I believe you are correct. If you are impaired your insurance is invalid. My cousins damaged his car and was found to be impaired. MPI paid for zero percent of the damages. 
And rightfully so.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on October 07, 2023, 07:35:04 PM

Talk about a costly mistake, add this to the lost games he wasn't paid for, high flyin' Kenny flyin' low on cash.

TecnoGenius

I noticed in the BC game we put Kenny in the slot a few times.  I really liked this changeup, and it seemed to work to get him a lot of short/mid passes.  Way more completions than his average lately.

Keep it up Buck!
Never go full Rider!

3rdand1.5

Based on experience...close friend who actually also hit a light standard while intoxicated (no one injured).

He lost his license, paid fines for the DUI and had to go to a course.

The jeep he was driving had some damage, he was out of pocket for all of the damage, plus the tow/impoundment fee
The light standard had mild damage but he had to pay to repair it
The boulevard also sustained some damage...skid mark...and yes he had to pay for that also
Also he had lawyer fees etc.

At the end of the day he learnt his lesson in regards to driving...and so did all his close friends as we witnessed just how expensive and serious it was....This was a number of years ago already, but in total it was around $45,000 for his decision....I'm sure it would cost more today.

At any rate PSA...do NOT drive intoxicated.....

I hope Lawler learns like my friend did and comes out the back end of this a better person.

Hopefully this doesn't distract him too much, I would venture to say this has been a really tough year on him.....but when he straps on the pads let's hope he goes into full beast mode and puts up big numbers all the way to a GC!!!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 11, 2023, 06:28:33 AM
I noticed in the BC game we put Kenny in the slot a few times.  I really liked this changeup, and it seemed to work to get him a lot of short/mid passes.  Way more completions than his average lately.

Actually, now that I'm rewatching the whole thing... we put Kenny in the slot a TON, and not just weak side, I don't think.  Our O schemes were all over the place, it was hard to keep track.  Maybe that was the plan vs BC: be so wacky and oft-changing that the DC and D had no idea how to react.  It seemed to work superbly, minus the untimely turnovers.
Never go full Rider!