How I Became a Blue Bomber & CFL Fan

Started by Doublezero, August 28, 2023, 06:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

I was born in December, 1986. I think I have a vague memory of the 1990 or possibly the 1992 Grey Cup, but had previously lived my life not experiencing a Grey Cup win.

I went to various game as a kid, but Dad working too much and also not having any extra money meant sports were kind of in the rear view growing up. I do remember going to a bunch of games in the '97 or '98 season. The Bombers gave me and my friends free tickets to hand out merchandise to fans pre-game. I remember we won the last game of the season and stormed the field.

But for the most part, I was not a football fan growing up.

The Bombers first came back into my life in high school during the 14 game streak in 2001. It was the first time the Bombers came up as a topic of conversation in school. Almost as important were the commercials the CFL did at the time, mocking provinces from other perspectives. Both had the kids talking and made me want to pay attention. I didn't truly start watch games until 2002 and by 2004, I was hooked. Literally vibrating the first time I went to a player signing in 2005 and got Charlie Roberts to sign my jersey.

We then went on to a 15 year period of ineptitude which made 2019 oh so sweet.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on August 31, 2023, 04:15:59 AM
The Bombers first came back into my life in high school during the 14 game streak in 2001. It was the first time the Bombers came up as a topic of conversation in school. Almost as important were the commercials the CFL did at the time, mocking provinces from other perspectives. Both had the kids talking and made me want to pay attention. I didn't truly start watch games until 2002 and by 2004, I was hooked. Literally vibrating the first time I went to a player signing in 2005 and got Charlie Roberts to sign my jersey.

We then went on to a 15 year period of ineptitude which made 2019 oh so sweet.

I don't remember the ads, can you give more info?  Sounds funny.

Hey don't forget 2011!  Not inept that year!  But ya, most other years were pretty bad.  Though I do think we started getting in the (good, GC) conversation around 2017...
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 31, 2023, 06:36:52 AM
I don't remember the ads, can you give more info?  Sounds funny.

I found a collection of the commercials I think Jesse is talking about. "The Rivalry Lives On"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il9KhIM2vd4
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Jesse

Quote from: Waffler on August 31, 2023, 11:53:11 AM
I found a collection of the commercials I think Jesse is talking about. "The Rivalry Lives On"

Them's be the one's.
My wife is amazing!

Marni

When I was very young, my parents best friends lived in Wpg and we drove 3 hours every Friday to go spend the weekend with them! My ?uncle? was a huge bomber fan and if I wanted to spend time with him, it was in front of the tv watching all CFL games! He?s the reason why I love football!
You are what happened when I wished upon a star  :-*

drahgon

My Dad is a lifelong BC Lions fan (born and raised on Vancouver Island and formative years in GVA). We relocated to Winnipeg in the mid 80's when I was very young. We attended the occasional game throughout the late 80's and early 90's but I mostly remember Buzz and Boomer teaming up WWF style on the Green Drop moreso than any of the action on the field. However, even though I was still quite young I have vivid memories of watching the 1990 grey cup as the Bomber's absolutely laid the wood to the Eskimos that day. We also attended the 1991 Grey Cup parade but not the game itself. I only had a casual interest in the bombers through the 90's as highschool friend's and part time work took priority.

Moving away to Ottawa for university in 2000 really peaked my interest in the CFL as it was a good way to stay connected with my hometown. The historic 2001 season and watching greats like Stegall, Roberts, Brown, etc, in their prime cemented me as a Bomber's fan for life. I attended every game the Bomber's played against the Renegades while living in Ottawa and proudly sported my lone bombers Tee to each game. After university I moved back to Winnipeg and got season tickets at the old stadium and for a few years at the new stadium. My first big purchase after starting my first "real" job was a Milt Stegall home jersey. Work commitments and a young family meant I gave up my season tickets for a number of years. However, my kids are getting older now and can handle a few late nights in the summer so renewing season tickets may be a possibility in the near future. In 2019, my oldest son was the same age I was in 1990 and I told him to remember this moment as you never know when the next championship will come. Luckily for him he only had to wait 2 years and not 29...

GOLDMEMBER

LOL nice
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

dd

Those commercials were absolute classics?- not exactly politically correct by today?s standards but they were still hilarious . Boo boo, we are different, we are French.....you don?t even speak real French!!!. Yep, wouldn?t fly on today?s air waves but still funny

Blue_midnight

My dad took me to my first game in the early 80s when Dewalt and Swervyn Mervin Fernandez played for the Lions. The rivalry between BC and the Bombers seemed pretty intense then. While I didn?t have the nerve to scream BC sucks in enemy territory, my startegy was to hold my breath until the Bombers made a good play.

Two other distinct memories were watching the end of the Bombers Lions grey cup in 1988 on the large screen TV at Eaton Place downtown and a game in the late 90s I think where they came from behind a couple touchdowns to beat the Stampeders in the last two minutes (watched at the pub in Gimli).

15 Eagles

My brother and sister in law took me to my first game in '81. Family Fun Zone I was 6. Got hooked. Been through the Rollercoaster of the great times and the crap times. Will always be a Bomber fan  until I bite it.
I haven't missed a game there or radio or TV in probably 40 yes.
My brother passed away last year so he at least got to see the Bombers become this juggernaut they are
Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems - Homer Simpson.

TBURGESS

They tell me that I watched Football and boxing on my fathers knee when I was a baby, but I don't remember it. I was a sometimes fan until I was 10 when my 6 man team was chosen to play at half time. That sealed the deal.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.