He SEALS the deal

Started by theaardvark, August 25, 2023, 04:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 26, 2023, 09:08:50 AM
Holy smokes!  You guys attacking Aards for stating what MOS is clearly thinking??  The proof is in the pudding and Jackson remains on the field despite the Sayers Of Nay for how many weeks now?  Bash his contribution all you want, as it is sometimes questionable, but you can't say MOS et al aren't valuing him highly enough to leave some decent other guys off the roster!

To me he feels like an IMP version of Miller.  He's even taking passes now!  Maybe get a run play next time too!  He doesn't really get the ST stats, as he's part of the last wave.  But they put him out there nonetheless.  MOS and coordinators aren't dumb: they're doing it for a reason.

If Grant comes off IR I bet it's McCrae who gets benched, not Jackson!!  Maybe even Haba, too!  Maybe.

I doubt McCrae comes off the roster when Grant returns. At least not as a direct choice between him or Jackson.  McCrae gets used a few times on offence and adds a different problem for defences. McCrae has 30 touches on offence for 255 yards.

If Jackson was a Canadian it wouldn't be an issue.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Jackson is a contributing member of this club and I have no idea why there are folks against him being on the roster but of course they are entitled to setiment.

I prefer him over Parker slightly, currently.

Tough decisions coming up as we get healthy but the fact is that he can do three jobs.  Long snap, DL and FB.

McRae over Jackson imo.

The poster who called this thread brutal is wrong imo.
Thanks for creating this Ards and to all that have chimed in.  Good debate here.

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 26, 2023, 03:21:24 PM
Jackson is a contributing member of this club and I have no idea why there are folks against him being on the roster.

I prefer him over Parker slightly, currently.

Tough decisions coming up as we get healthy but the fact is that he can do three jobs.  Long snap, DL and FB.

McRae over Jackson imo.

The poster who called this thread brutal is wrong.  This is a good discussion and he didn't even know who we are talking about.

It's simple. He's taking a spot as a DI mostly likely at the expense of one on the DL instead. Sure our DL is playing very well but what happens if there is an injury or the game is clsoer and fresh players are needed?

The Argo game is an example of trying to balance the roster depth across the chart. They choose 8 DL instead of having an extra DB. Once they had an injury in the secondary, Calgary started moving the ball more.

It's a risk analysis issue.

In the case of the Bombers what happens if Jefferson, Jeffcoat or Walker have an in game injury? Do we really feel comfortable with Cole or Bennett taking most reps?  Obviously Haba is injured so we don't currently have him as a choice.

Using another example might be Lemon. I don't know if we tried to sign him or whether he was too high a hit to the SMS. However, would you prefer him as a DI over Jackson? Whether there is or will be an injury, another DL shares the load in keeping everyone fresh.

We won TOP with 36 minutes against the Als so if you can do that, it's not as necessary. We didn't have any injuries.

Conversely we lost TOP against the Redblacks and the DL was gassed in the 4th Q.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 26, 2023, 03:33:10 PM
It's simple. He's taking a spot as a DI mostly likely at the expense of one on the DL instead. Sure our DL is playing very well but what happens if there is an injury or the game is clsoer and fresh players are needed?

The Argo game is an example of trying to balance the roster depth across the chart. They choose 8 DL instead of having an extra DB. Once they had an injury in the secondary, Calgary started moving the ball more.

It's a risk analysis issue.

In the case of the Bombers what happens if Jefferson, Jeffcoat or Walker have an in game injury? Do we really feel comfortable with Cole or Bennett taking most reps?  Obviously Haba is injured so we don't currently have him as a choice.

Using another example might be Lemon. I don't know if we tried to sign him or whether he was too high a hit to the SMS. However, would you prefer him as a DI over Jackson? Whether there is or will be an injury, another DL shares the load in keeping everyone fresh.

We won TOP with 36 minutes against the Als so if you can do that, it's not as necessary. We didn't have any injuries.

Conversely we lost TOP against the Redblacks and the DL was gassed in the 4th Q.
These roster decisions always have a big impact.  Yes having an extra DB has its benefits but Jackson's blocking does as well.  A key injury at DL is a risk but we could rotate and be ok.  Two injuries at DL would hurt us.

I wasn't for signing Lemon.  Keeping the DL fresh important but generally we have been doing a good job at that.

Will be interesting how this plays out going forward.  Some interesting points here.

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 26, 2023, 03:38:00 PM
These roster decisions always have a big impact.  Yes having an extra DB has its benefits but Jackson's blocking does as well.  A key injury at DL is a risk but we could rotate and be ok.  Two injuries at DL would hurt us.

I wasn't for signing Lemon.  Keeping the DL fresh important but generally we have been doing a good job at that.

Will be interesting how this plays out going forward.  Some interesting points here.

Every game is different and the timing of any injury is a factor. It's not a factor that can be pre-determined.  Lemon was just an example but answer the same question about Haba when he's healthy. Keeping in mind is that we only have 3 DI spots to consider due to having an import kicker.  Would you honestly not take Lemon on the roster over Jackson if we had that choice? Lemon is a force and very disruptive DL.

When Grant returns we'll only have 2 other DI spots to consider. Cole has been good and better than Jackson on ST's and gets more reps on the DL.

On ST's we added Exume and then Gauthier this week. I'm not sure who we removed from that role, but we have lots of players that could play ST's. We might even get Ford back who I would think would take on that role. Mike Miller? Is he coming back in 2023?

Jackson hasn't seemed to make an impact on ST's so I think he could replaced in that role easily.

I'd like to know how many times Jackson lines up on offence. I generally only start to notice him in the 4th Q when we have a big lead and a run focused. That's not a bad thing but it was Miller's role.  I don't think it's very probable that Jackson will be used as an offensive threat. That only happened when we were up by 30 points. It was a throw away play.

Honestly I may have seen a couple of times in his blocking role where he might have made an impact. More often than not we see an extra OL blocking than Jackson. He has 9 DT's and 9 ST's. Jackson has zero.

I appreciate the back story and if he was Canadian it would be good whether we list him as a FB or a DE, it's the question of what are the other options.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

He plays a lot on jumbo.  Can't comment on his effectiveness but must be decent.

Haba over Jackson if that's the direct swap.

Wasn't for bringing in Lemon full stop.

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 26, 2023, 04:08:31 PM
He plays a lot on jumbo.  Can't comment on his effectiveness but must be decent.

Haba over Jackson if that's the direct swap.

Wasn't for bringing in Lemon full stop.

Can you or someone come up with how many times he does that in a game?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 26, 2023, 05:28:58 PM
Can you or someone come up with how many times he does that in a game?
I can't now but I'll start a count next game.  Some pvr or rewatch and they might.  I would say 5 to 10 min, guess lol.

3rdand1.5

He is incredibly versatile....whether that is enough once we guys healthy and back is yet to be determined....But IF he can contribute at,at least a Bennet level on the D-line then I am all for keeping him on.

Blue In BC

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on August 26, 2023, 06:17:53 PM
He is incredibly versatile....whether that is enough once we guys healthy and back is yet to be determined....But IF he can contribute at,at least a Bennet level on the D-line then I am all for keeping him on.

Bennett has 6 DT's and 2 ST's and he's a Canadian. Jackosn hasn't recorded a stat. So at the moment he he's not as effective as Bennett.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 26, 2023, 06:28:09 PM
Bennett has 6 DT's and 2 ST's and he's a Canadian. Jackosn hasn't recorded a stat. So at the moment he he's not as effective as Bennett.
He is contributing in other ways though

I would put Bennett's value slightly more than Jackson.  Being Canadian with upside means these reps for him now will pay off.

Depending when Miller comes back or if he gets nicked again, these reps are also very good for Jackson as when the weather turns the jumbo for both protection and run packages could seal a victory for us.

RebusRankin

If Jackson was Canadian, nobody would be complaining but he's not. I suspect when Habba gets healthy, we seem him replace Jackson. Jackson doesn't take that many reps blocking on offense in most games. Generally its a handful (under 10). We use Dobson as a 6th blocker much more frequently and I suspect Eli gets more reps for jumbo too.

Throw Long Bannatyne

At the end of the year I'll bet Jackson is sitting on the PR, Haba, Parker and whichever other young prospect they want to return next year will not.  Doubt any other team will be interested in "Project Multi-tasker" enough to grab him, so O'Shea will probably invite him back to TC again next season.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 27, 2023, 04:15:56 AM
At the end of the year I'll bet Jackson is sitting on the PR, Haba, Parker and whichever other young prospect they want to return next year will not.  Doubt any other team will be interested in "Project Multi-tasker" enough to grab him, so O'Shea will probably invite him back to TC again next season.

I think McCrae, as the moment is just placeholding for Grant.  Grant back, McCrae off.  No dig against McCrae, just roster requirements at the moment.

And Jackson is just placeholding for Miller.  Miller back, Jackson off.  So we'd regain Haba or Parker or whoever as a side effect of the freed up DI, but not the main reason.

The longer Miller is gone, the longer Jackson will stay in.  It doesn't matter if depth at DL in non-existent when Jackson can fill in and stuff a hole.  We clearly want a FB, and Jackson is the only one.

Thus TLB is almost certainly correct, should the team get healthier and not have any new injuries at said positions.

I'd bet a premium-level munchie at a IGF or BC Place on the above!  ;D ;D ;D

And I'm pretty sure we're the only team rostering an IMP at FB?  For many years too.  Right?
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 27, 2023, 08:40:49 AM
I think McCrae, as the moment is just placeholding for Grant.  Grant back, McCrae off.  No dig against McCrae, just roster requirements at the moment.

And Jackson is just placeholding for Miller.  Miller back, Jackson off.  So we'd regain Haba or Parker or whoever as a side effect of the freed up DI, but not the main reason.

The longer Miller is gone, the longer Jackson will stay in.  It doesn't matter if depth at DL in non-existent when Jackson can fill in and stuff a hole.  We clearly want a FB, and Jackson is the only one.

Thus TLB is almost certainly correct, should the team get healthier and not have any new injuries at said positions.

I'd bet a premium-level munchie at a IGF or BC Place on the above!  ;D ;D ;D

And I'm pretty sure we're the only team rostering an IMP at FB?  For many years too.  Right?

McCrae is still a good player to use on offence. If Oliveria gets nicked in game he might end up starting before Augustine. That would force a ratio change on offence but that's what I think would happen. He can sub in for a receiver as well and be effective because of his speed.
2019 Grey Cup Champions