He SEALS the deal

Started by theaardvark, August 25, 2023, 04:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

For all those waiting for Damian Jackson to record a stat, there ya go.  He has a perfect reception record now.

More than that, he was playing Iron Man football in all three facets. 

He took snaps a DE and wasn't lights out, but occupied one or two linemen.

He was on teams, running up and down the field.

He was in at FB, blocking and catching a pass.

I'm not sure how much the SHOULD have used him in the 4th quarter, its nice to get subs in in garbage time, but he was playing almost every down for a bit.  Watching him on the sidelines on the rare plays off, and even between plays on the field, he looked gassed.  Completely gassed.  And yet he stood forth and said "Yes Sir, may I have another!"

Call it a man crush, or call it astute coaching, but Jackson deserves a spot on this team.  I was waiting for him to "Rudy" on one of the last plays and break through and sack Alexander...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on August 25, 2023, 04:44:33 PM
For all those waiting for Damian Jackson to record a stat, there ya go.  He has a perfect reception record now.

More than that, he was playing Iron Man football in all three facets. 

He took snaps a DE and wasn't lights out, but occupied one or two linemen.

He was on teams, running up and down the field.

He was in at FB, blocking and catching a pass.

I'm not sure how much the SHOULD have used him in the 4th quarter, its nice to get subs in in garbage time, but he was playing almost every down for a bit.  Watching him on the sidelines on the rare plays off, and even between plays on the field, he looked gassed.  Completely gassed.  And yet he stood forth and said "Yes Sir, may I have another!"

Call it a man crush, or call it astute coaching, but Jackson deserves a spot on this team.  I was waiting for him to "Rudy" on one of the last plays and break through and sack Alexander...

I hope Jackson is content sitting on the PR list waiting for opportunities, I can't see them holding a roster spot for him as they already have a backlog of good players coming off the I.R. with more to come.  Clements, Lawrence, Parker, Miller Hansen, Haba....there simply isn't enough roster space to keep a jack of all trades master of none playing.

Blue In BC

Is he a DE playing FB or a FB playing DE?  The only issue with keeping " Rudy " on the roster is ratio implications. I'd still be curious to know how many reps he gets in each facet. I don't think he's had many reps on defence prior to last night's garbage time. Cole, Bennett, Maruo and Briggs were getting those in the past. Now that Gauthier is back he'll get some of those as well.

I only noticed him in the 2nd half once we had a big lead and our offence went to more running plays.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Jackson, no doubt, will do whatever he is told, he's said that on many occasions.

Most of our non starters rarely play except on teams.  Most of them back up at one or two positions.

Jackson is tasked at FB and backup DE and LS.  3 very divergent positions, one of which (LS) is Very Specialized. 

He has had, what, 8 professional games of experience to date? 

There might be more to him yet, and I am anxious to see what develops.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Im sorry aards, but is this thread a joke?

I appreciate Jackson?s effort and ?heart?, but I expect players to do as they?re told. I don?t think some reps in a blowout justify the questionable rostering over the last several weeks. No offence to Jackson, but this seems like an overreaction.
#Ride?

LXTSN

Yeah it's cool having a seal on the roster, and I find myself rooting for him when he's on the field.
However, it does feel like a waste of a roster spot.
He's a good lead blocker, but that's really his only CFL level skill. I'd say he's well below average at everything else that he's been asked to do.
Again... Great story! I'm always cheering for him! I just think we really would be better off with Parker on the roster to play special teams and backup DB.

DM83

He?s a great guy.
But I have met hundreds of CIS who had  one better skill. Faster, tackler, blocker.
I have never met a Canadian, who was a better SEAL.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: blue_or_die on August 25, 2023, 07:27:38 PM
Im sorry aards, but is this thread a joke?

I appreciate Jackson?s effort and ?heart?, but I expect players to do as they?re told. I don?t think some reps in a blowout justify the questionable rostering over the last several weeks. No offence to Jackson, but this seems like an overreaction.
It is. Classic Ards.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

The Zipp

Quote from: LXTSN on August 25, 2023, 08:04:16 PM
Yeah it's cool having a seal on the roster, and I find myself rooting for him when he's on the field.
However, it does feel like a waste of a roster spot.
He's a good lead blocker, but that's really his only CFL level skill. I'd say he's well below average at everything else that he's been asked to do.
Again... Great story! I'm always cheering for him! I just think we really would be better off with Parker on the roster to play special teams and backup DB.

Good summary of likely the thoughts of most of us

dd

I can honestly say I don?t know who you are talking and couldn?t give a rip if he?s a Rudy, this isn?t little league  in professional sports you can either play the game or you can?t, there?s no room for sentiment and feeling sorry for the guy because he tries hard. Everybody tries hard. Brutal thread.

Pete

the only rationalle I can see for Jackson being on the roster for every game is that O'Shea is making a statement..see if you put in the effort every day you will be rewarded

TecnoGenius

Holy smokes!  You guys attacking Aards for stating what MOS is clearly thinking??  The proof is in the pudding and Jackson remains on the field despite the Sayers Of Nay for how many weeks now?  Bash his contribution all you want, as it is sometimes questionable, but you can't say MOS et al aren't valuing him highly enough to leave some decent other guys off the roster!

To me he feels like an IMP version of Miller.  He's even taking passes now!  Maybe get a run play next time too!  He doesn't really get the ST stats, as he's part of the last wave.  But they put him out there nonetheless.  MOS and coordinators aren't dumb: they're doing it for a reason.

If Grant comes off IR I bet it's McCrae who gets benched, not Jackson!!  Maybe even Haba, too!  Maybe.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on August 25, 2023, 04:44:33 PM
Watching him on the sidelines on the rare plays off, and even between plays on the field, he looked gassed.  Completely gassed.

Ya, I noticed that shot too.  I thought he was going to upchuck!  That might be an age thing, he might not be able to keep up with all the reps on so many phases at his age.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 26, 2023, 09:08:50 AM
Holy smokes!  You guys attacking Aards for stating what MOS is clearly thinking??  The proof is in the pudding and Jackson remains on the field despite the Sayers Of Nay for how many weeks now?  Bash his contribution all you want, as it is sometimes questionable, but you can't say MOS et al aren't valuing him highly enough to leave some decent other guys off the roster!

To me he feels like an IMP version of Miller.  He's even taking passes now!  Maybe get a run play next time too!  He doesn't really get the ST stats, as he's part of the last wave.  But they put him out there nonetheless.  MOS and coordinators aren't dumb: they're doing it for a reason.

If Grant comes off IR I bet it's McCrae who gets benched, not Jackson!!  Maybe even Haba, too!  Maybe.

Agree. Not sure about what will happen when Grant comes back but he will be hard to take out. He provides excellent value for one roster spot. He's good on the teams. He's a good lead blocker as a fullback. His defensive end rushes were straight bullrush but it's still helpful in a rotation. He's also the backup long snapper which, in a close, important game is important even though it's unlikely he'll be needed there. If he was Canadian he could have had a 15 year CFL career.

blue_or_die

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 26, 2023, 09:08:50 AM

If this guy is contributing, that?s all fine and good, but acting like he?s the next coming because rostered guy plays football is the pendulum swinging the opposite way entirely. Let?s keep our crushes in check here and base them on play rather than pure intangibles.
#Ride?